2016 smart car

heavyduty

I am looking at a 2016 smart prime. I have 2 questions that dealer could not answer

1. I only see 1 pull point on one side to atachment winch line. Could guy atachment a eye on one side and pull it up on bed with one point off center

2. Most of the time I would haul it but would want the option to flat tow 4 down. Dealer was not sure it was a possible with the automatic. Another forum says it is ok?????

Well, it certainly isn't a manual transmission either Glenn. Not is the sense that the OP is talking about anyway.

heavyduty, is there only 1 attachment point on the rear? The older style has 2 in the rear and 1 in the front but I am told that behind the plastic bumper in front that there is another hone hidden.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I only seen one cover or plug on the back towards the drivers side. Did not look on front will be wincing up backwards. I know previous model had two on back to atach a pull bar. The dealer salesman said it could be towed 4 down with trans in manual mode but not sure he new what he was talking about. Checked rv forums and there was not any refrence for 2016 models. FYI drove the 2016 quite a zippy little car very lmpressed.

Take a look under the bumper cover, I bet there are two tow eye receptacles.

Best place to find detailed info on smarts is Evilution

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I only seen one cover or plug on the back towards the drivers side. Did not look on front will be wincing up backwards. I know previous model had two on back to atach a pull bar. The dealer salesman said it could be towed 4 down with trans in manual mode but not sure he new what he was talking about. Checked rv forums and there was not any refrence for 2016 models. FYI drove the 2016 quite a zippy little car very lmpressed.

I wonder if Curt/U-Haul is going to make a trailer hitch for it? I don't use the tow hook attachments to winch mine, I use the trailer hitch.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Heavyduty,

I pull our 2011 up with a bar between tow hook attachments. I now wish I had used the hitch method because the hitch would have served dual purpose. I now want a hitch to attach bike rack to a smart. We have been putting off adding a hitch, installing cruise control, and replacing worn tires because we really want to get a 2016 or later version smart.

If you going to have another use for the hitch, I would recommend going that route if you can. But if Curt is not making the hitch yet, it may get quite complicated. Attaching a hitch that was made for the pre-2016 smarts on a pre-2016 smart was more involved than typical hitch installs. Perhaps someone real handy could modify one of those hitches to fit the 2016, or fabricate from scatch. It's one of those things I would rather have someone else do first...thus my encouragement!

I will be following closely.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Archived