Has anyone, driven the HDT and trailer down then up Hwy 20 to Bella Coola?

mr. cob

Hi mr. cob - you could drop your drive tire pressures down substantially at low speed for better traction if you could scope

Out a safe place on the way in to air up again.

If you could find a safe place on a logging road to practice a little uphill try before the trip to see how your truck's footing is on dry gravel ...

Howdy noteven,

Lowering tire pressure is an easy way to increase traction with any size or style of tire, I carry a Honda 2000i generator, adding a small high pressure air compressor is something I have been thinking about, just in case of ever having to air a tire up on the road.

All the logging roads around my home and there are many are way WORSE the "The Hill" as regards grade and tightness of the switch-backs, most dead end t a log loading landing with no turn around space, all the log trucks here carry the trailer on the back of the truck when empty so they don't need much room to turn around as the trailer is hooked up to when it unloaded at the landing. In fact "The Hill" as shown in the youtube videos looks like a dirt freeway compared to most logging roads in my area.

When I get a chance to ride The Hill, this summer I'll have a much better idea of what its like or if I even want to take the truck-trailer to that area.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Phil, they are the same deal but are on different sides. Don't cut your notch on the wrong side! Mr Cob, what axle model and ratio? I'll keep my eyes out down here.

Howdy Scrap,

Its pouring down rain and will be for months so crawling under the truck right now is not something I am wanting to do, I don't know for sure what axle is in the truck, I do know it has a 3.55-1 ratio, don't know for sure how to determine which brand and model of axle it is.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I do know it has a 3.55-1 ratio, don't know for sure how to determine which brand and model of axle it is.

In the most common on-highway tandem sets, a 3.55 ratio would indicate that your truck probably has a Dana (Eaton) axle. The most common comparable Meritor axles use a 3.58 ratio.

A Freightliner dealer should be able to tell you what make and model of axle is in your truck if you give them your VIN.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I think Freightliner does but at -14 degrees Fahrenheit here, it is too darn cold to go out and check!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Howdy All,

Come to think of it there is a sticker on the drivers side door jam that has a whole bunch of stuff on it, later today if the rain lets up I'll go outside and check it out.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, it would definitely be worth the time to check all of the factory applied decals in the driver's door jamb. I meant to include that in my last post and forgot. Kenworth puts transmission and drive axle (make, model, and axle ratio) data on the truck, and I've seen it on Volvos, too. Freightliner may well do it also.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Howdy Scrap,

Its pouring down rain and will be for months so crawling under the truck right now is not something I am wanting to do, I don't know for sure what axle is in the truck, I do know it has a 3.55-1 ratio, don't know for sure how to determine which brand and model of axle it is.

Dave

Dave,

You would have that information at the touch of your finger if you get on Access Freightliner. ...

Just sayin....

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Dave,

You would have that information at the touch of your finger if you get on Access Freightliner. ...

Just sayin....

Curt

Howdy Curt,

You know how hard I have tried to do that, just sayin.....

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I looked at the stickers on the door jam, I can see where there used to be three stickers, one is missing the other two are very hard to read, I can see where it gives axle weight ratings, wheel and tire sizes but I can't see anything that gives axle model numbers or brand.

I do know that at one time the truck had two drive axles, one of the switches still on the dash is an "Inter axle lock" I am going to assume that would lock the drive axles but not the axles themselves if I understand that switch correctly. I am also assuming that when the truck was singled that the stock rear axle was used and the forward drive axle was removed, I do know the dealer verified that the engine serial number now in the truck matches the original build sheet so I guess my next step if it ever stops raining is to crawl under the truck and see if I can find any numbers on the drive axle and see if the dealer can verify the axle as stock and give me information on it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That "Inter Axle Lock" is the valve for your power divider and it would allow both drive axles to provide power like a 4WD vehicle. Here is a PDF that will give you an idea where the data tag should be: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/WESM-0060.pdf

Howdy Mntom,

I figured that's what the inter axle lock was, I don't have one on the truck it was removed when the front drive axle was taken out. For some reason, when I click your link I get nothing, I am using a Mac computer and that often happens when I try to open a PDF, why I don't have a clue, I am extremely technologically challenged. :(

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

Is it because you do not use explorer? The dealer uses Access to get your data. Here is the "customer service" number 503-745-8000, they will help. With all your travels, you have driven past the factory numerous times. The factory is in Portland. Maybe someone can send you the build of your truck in a format you can use, better than crawling under a "wet" truck.

If there's anything I can help with, I will.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Dave,

Is it because you do not use explorer? The dealer uses Access to get your data. Here is the "customer service" number 503-745-8000, they will help. With all your travels, you have driven past the factory numerous times. The factory is in Portland. Maybe someone can send you the build of your truck in a format you can use, better than crawling under a "wet" truck.

If there's anything I can help with, I will.

Curt

Howdy Curt,

I remember when I was at your home and you tried to help me get on Access Freightliner, we could get all kinds of information regarding my truck on your computer but nothing on my computer, its the curse of not being a windoze user I guess. Thanks for the phone number, I'll give it a call tomorrow and see what information they can give me.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived