PICKING UP THE NEW TIFFIN!

M Clinkaberry

We pulled the trigger and ordered an Allegro RED 33aa from Davis Motor Home Mart in Memphis :D We're really excited and nervous!

We got a great price from Bill Hardy and so far he's been great to work with. Super nice guy, low pressure.

We also toured the factory which was really awesome and amazing and totally worth the long trip.

Our pick up date should be around Jan 20 and we plan to camp somewhere close by for at least one night to see if any bugs rise to the surface. After that we plan to drive it back to our home in San Dimas, CA.

Just by coincidence, I had registered for the Escapees Bootcamp for Jan 29-31st.

Here's where I need some advice from you all.

Are we biting off too much to try to get from Memphis, TN to Wickenburg, AZ in three days?

We plan to stay south by passing through Dallas, Abilene, Tucson on I20/I10 to avoid weather if possible and will take advantage of WalMart overnight stops or maybe Bass Pro/Cabelas if we can find any of those along the way. RV parks are not out of the question either.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to the best route or places to stay? My biggest concern is rain and snow since this is our first Class A this big.

I've been reading this forum for more than a year now and I'm amazed at what a wealth of knowledge and good advice I see. Next step is to sell the house go full time.

Thanks you all for your advice!

Marty and Dani Clinkaberry, and Abbey and Murphy (Australian Shepherds fur kids)

2016 Tiffin Allegro RED 33aa

First, congratulations on your soon to arrive, new RV! In my opinion you have made a good choice.

About the trip to Wickenburg, or I am assuming that you will be headed to North Ranch? Whether Wickenberg or Congress, AZ the distance is for all practicle purposes 1,500 miles if you go via I-40. You can make 500 miles per day, assuming that the weather remains good and things go well but that is not going to be a fun trip. Taking the southern route via I-20 and I-10 will make the weather risk less and adds only 100 miles to the trip so that is probably a better route. But Texas weather can be fickle so you will need to keep a close eye on the weather reports as you likely will have dry roads but that route can get bad and those roads do get closed for bad weather for a day or so once or twice most winters. Last March we were leaving to travel to Tucson for the Escapade and not only were we held up by two days in getting started, so too were Bud & Cathy Carr. Cathy and I were exchanging emails as they watched I-10 and we watched I-20. Interestingly, the two were experiencing almost identical weather conditions. Once we got to El Paso all roads were dry but it was not fun for the first day of travel, even after having waited a day for roads to improve.

There is a good possibility that you will be able to make that trip in three days by driving close to 10 hour days, but realize that it does take somewhat longer for most of us in a motorhome as compared to a car and if there are weather delays, you might be late in getting there. It would be far less risky if you were to allow at least 4 days and 5 would be better. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We picked ours up in Sherman MS in April, took I 40 and stopped in Russellville, AR; were going to stay in OK 2nd night, but tornados pushed us on to Amarillo, then Albuquerque and on to PHX area 4th day. Didn't want to push to new engine too hard, and weather was not good. You don't make the same time in the RV anyway as in a car. I-10/I-20 should be safer in the winter.

Also remember that the highways are basically in bad shape, and you may not want a literal "shakedown" trip :)

Enjoy!

Kirk, thanks for your advice.

I noticed that El Paso got quite a bit of snow a fews days back which really surprised me considering I've never been there. It looks like this year we might have some unusual weather patterns. I sure hope we get some rain in California!

We might have to re-think trying to cram that many miles in so few days. I'm sure a lot will depend on how things go at the dealership and how many items show up at the inspection.

Marty and Dani Clinkaberry, and Abbey and Murphy (Australian Shepherds fur kids)

You need to realize that El Paso is at an altitude of nearly 4,000' so it does get snow at times. But there are higher altitudes than that to the east and both I-10 and I-20 have some bad conditions for short periods most winters. There is nothing unusual about snow in west Texas, but it usually doesn't last for more than a day or two as it doesn't stay below freezing for very long. Now I-40 is another matter entirely and it would be an unusual winter if it didn't have any times of bad road conditions.

We found driving a big rig more tiring than driving a car. Plus it is more tiring to drive something unfamiliar as you have to think moves that later become instinctive. Plus we tend not to drive 70 mph in an RV which we found easier to do in a car. If the weather cooperates you might make it in three days but it is likely you will not enjoy the journey. Is that really the way you want to start your life in this new rig? Personally, we would schedule six or seven days to make this drive with one of those days spent sitting still in an RV park letting our minds and bodies recover before tackling the next section. If you pick up the rig on the 20th and spend 2 nights with the day in between getting the bugs out you'd still have a week to get to Wickenburg--why push for faster?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Linda,

We probably won't be able to pick it up until around the 23rd, but I agree with you, why push so hard. We might just wait until after the boot camp, and go get it in February when we can get more time off work.

We weren't originally planning on taking it to boot camp anyway, it just accidentally turned out that way.

Work still gets in the way of living life, but not for much longer! :rolleyes:

Since you have options such as waiting until February when you have more time, I would recommend that you do that. Also plan more than one night at Tiffin to really give all systems a test. Definitely avoid I-40 in winter. It was closed down already because of a snowstorm and we've driven it the end of April where it was closed for snow. I-10 is your best bet.

As for as miles driving per day....300 is about tops for us with an RV. You will not (or shouldn't) be driving at automobile speeds so it will take you longer than you might plan. It's best to take your time with a new RV if you can.

This would also be a good time to give both of you the experience of driving it - while you're on interstates. It's really a good idea that you both know the ins and outs of it. Good luck and enjoy your new lifestyle!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Here is my idea for the start of your trip. Stop in Little Rock for the first night. I recommend Downtown Riverside RV Park, 250 S Locust St, North Little Rock, AR 72114 , northlittlerock.org , (501) 340-5312.

The reason is you are going to be driving a NEW coach. You are going to be tired and stressed because it is new. A short first day only makes sense. I would rather have full hookup and have it easy and relaxing. Will you have a toad? This is a great place right on the river and you can get a Passport America discount.

Next stop West side of Fort Worth on 20. 7000 I-20 Frontage Rd, Aledo, TX 76008 ,cowtownrvpark.com (817) 441-7878.

Now the big run either a short one to Midland about 6 hours or go big to EL Paso, that will most likely be a 12-hour day about 588 miles. Then home only another 500 miles.

That is 4 days but I would add at least one more day maybe 2 to the last part.

You will find that you average about 50 miles an hour in overall travel. Stops for fuel lunch bathroom breaks all add up. I didn’t list places to stay past FW because they don’t fit with your schedule.

Good luck and have fun.

Billl

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I am the opposite of most posters, as I like to go ahead and get where I want to spend time. For me 12 hours a day is easily doable, we often are on the road from sunrise until sunset or a little longer. We do travel a little less hard since retirement but 5-600 miles a day is fairly easy. I say do what you have to do and then relax and enjoy yourself when you get there.

Next stop West side of Fort Worth on 20. 7000 I-20 Frontage Rd, Aledo, TX 76008 ,cowtownrvpark.com (817) 441-7878.

Now the big run either a short one to Midland about 6 hours or go big to EL Paso, that will most likely be a 12-hour day about 588 miles. Then home only another 500 miles.

This plan is pretty good, but there are other options from Ft. Worth. Rather than stopping at Midland(283 miles), I usually go on to the Escapee park at Pecos (378 miles) but if you plan to do that you do need reservations as they are very busy and you may not get in without them except into dry camping. Yet another option would be Van Horn(467 miles) and there are several RV parks there which usually have plenty of openings.

If you choose to wait until Feb. when you will have more time, then you would have several additional options for this trip. I would probably suggest going from Ft. Worth on out only to perhaps Abilene (243 miles) and stop at Abilene State park and relax or continue on to Midland. From there continue on to Demming and another Escapee RV park(406 miles) and then to Tucson (214 miles) and do some tourist things or continue to Phoenix instead(328 miles). From one of those it is a pretty easy run to travel to either Palm Springs or on home.

Check your Escapee campground directory as there are discount parks along the route. We stayed in one when in Van Horn last March, but I can't recall the name of it.

I like the park in Midland but won't recommend the one I stayed at in EL Paso. I don't usually recommend a place I haven't stayed. A good sores of campgrounds is RV Park Reviews, http://www.rvparkreviews.com/.

I think you will agree that a short day the first day with a new coach is a good idea.

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

• 2 weeks later...
We made it! Picked up the RV in Memphis on the 11th and got home the 17th. Davis Motorhome Mart was terrific. We spent at least six hours going over all the systems and except for the wrong color bedspread everything was perfect. Gary in the service department had spent the whole day prior to our pick up making sure everything was in order and he only found one ground wire that had been pulled loose.

We camped one night and tried all systems on board with no problems. Gary had given us his cell phone number and said he would be available for questions. Every morning of the trip I think we had two or three questions for him. It was all items he had already explained to us but we had just forgotten about. Trying to learn all about the various systems really is information overload!

With all the problems people have had with both new and used motorhomes, I was really geared up to make a long list of repairs and to spend several days at the dealer getting everything done.

I have to say the whole process has been amazingly smooth. Hats off to Bill Hardy (salesman) and Gary Rosselot (service tech). We got financing through Alliant Credit Union and their service was also excellent.

Everything went so smooth Murphy's Law had to show up sooner or later with a plugged sewer line at the stick and bricks! Oh well!

Thanks everyone for all your good advice!

Glad you reported back. Well did you use any of our suggestions?

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

We stayed at CowTown RV park and you are right about their rules but if you follow the rules it's an ok park.

We stay at Cochise Terrace RV Park in Benson AZ. Very nice park and friendly hosts. I wish we had more time to spend there. $28.00 per night which I think is a good price for a high end park.

The toughest part was I30 through Dallas. Avoid this!

We stayed at CowTown RV park and you are right about their rules but if you follow the rules it's an ok park.

We stay at Cochise Terrace RV Park in Benson AZ. Very nice park and friendly hosts. I wish we had more time to spend there. $28.00 per night which I think is a good price for a high end park.

The best way through the Metroplex when you are coming in on 30 is to go south on 635 to 20west.

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

• 2 weeks later...

Marty,

I'm late to the game here, but did you make it to the boot camp? I think you said it was 1/29-31? If so, what did you think of it? We're signed up for the boot camp at the rally in VT in July and looking forward to it. We bought a coach in December but it went right into heated storage here in the northeast. I just retired in December and we'll bring the rig home in early May and prep it as we're selling the house and be full time by July.

Was it what you expected? And how about a few pics of that new rig? Have you posted them anywhere?

Cheers,

Don

My wife and I both thought the Boot Camp was excellent. Very well organized and lots of good information presented with plenty of time for questions after each subject was presented. Food was great too!

I highly recommend it for both people that already own an RV or people still researching to buy one.

One part we thought was especially interesting for full timers is we broke into groups of six and experienced full timers came around to the groups so we could ask them questions one on one. This gave us the chance to really get a feel for what its like to go full time.

I'm still running the rat race so I haven't had time to figure out how to post a pic. Too busy ordering stuff for the RV on Amazon!

Archived