Lock broke...how to fix drawers that open during transit.

Does your drawers run on a metal track with a roller near the front of the stationary track, and another roller on the rear of the drawer-mounted track. The bottoms usually have a metal tab on the stationary track, right on the front just before the roller. Over time, when closing the drawer the tab gets bent back towards the roller instead of sticking straight up. It's this tab that requires lifting the drawer when closing to lock it shut. Gently straighten it with pliers and try the drawer locking procedure again.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Does your drawers run on a metal track with a roller near the front of the stationary track, and another roller on the rear of the drawer-mounted track. The bottoms usually have a metal tab on the stationary track, right on the front just before the roller. Over time, when closing the drawer the tab gets bent back towards the roller instead of sticking straight up. It's this tab that requires lifting the drawer when closing to lock it shut. Gently straighten it with pliers and try the drawer locking procedure again.

Will check it out. Thanks!

Will check it out. Thanks!

If you look closely, right in front of the roller, second one down, you see the vertical tab/post I was attempting to describe. Sorry for the enlarged picture it doesn't appear that way on their website: http://www.rvdiscountsuppliers.com/hardware/drawer-slides-guide-and-sockets/drawer-slides-20-rv-camper-motorhome-hardware.html01185_5.jpg

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I was going to suggest Tot Locks, which seem identical to the Kinder Loks suggested above. We used them on our kitchen cabinets when our kids were toddlers 20 years ago. They were a bit finicky to install, but once in they worked great. The one we still have after the kitchen remodel is going strong. Link below...

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Magnetic-Tot-Complete/dp/B0000488W2/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1450792307&sr=1-2&keywords=safety+1st+tot-lok+magnetic+key

I've been in Commercial and residential Millwork for over 40 yrs , in my opinion the best way to go is to replace the hardware with the same type which Ray has posted a pic of and a link to. You will probably be able to use the same screws and screw holes so that makes it simple.

Order a couple of sets of that size and get some of other sizes used in the camper for spares.

I've used the magnetic locks in residential as well as Dr's offices, they do work but it is a PITA to get the magnet when all you want is a knife or spoon. I do agree with keeping sharp objects away from small children. Richelieu Hardware has wholesale outlets all over Canada and the US, they have various locking systems, gang locks for instance but a lot of these systems lend themselves to frameless construction and need to be installed before the box goes together. There are some magnets which will work in your situation but the info Ray has posted is the way to go.

My Travel Supreme has the same hardware and there have been no issues, no breakage.

I have a truck camper. I don't know how it worked, but the drawers had a locking system where you lifted up on the handle and the drawer released. Over a couple years it broke and now the drawers fly opens during transit. Any idea about putting in a locking system to keep the drawers shut?

Thanks

Any results to report??

Archived