Replacing sofa sleeper w/Recliner. How to remove from RV?

breister

We are looking to remove the sofa sleeper from our Class A Windsor and replace it with 1 or 2 Stressless type recliners. If you buy the ones designed for RV's, do they come apart so you can get them into the RV? How about taking the sofa out? I don't need to remove the windshield do I? Thanks a lot for any advice.

PS: Suggestions on where to purchase the chairs we are thinking of?

If they are not going to be sold and just thrown away, a reciprocating saw with a 12" demo blade should work just fine making manageable pieces out of it....

I know our fifth wheel was ordered without furniture and the rear window had to come out to get the new sleeper sofa inside.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Usually the backs come off. That might get it to a manageable size to get thru the door.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We are looking to remove the sofa sleeper from our Class A Windsor and replace it with 1 or 2 Stressless type recliners.

We have both a Stressless recliner and one of their sofas. Both fit through our front door without any problems. We did wrap the sofa in heavy plastic and put tape on any possible protrusion around the door, but there were no real problems getting it in. Ours is only ~72" long so it could be stood up going through the door. Quite a few pieces (arms, etc) can be removed from both the chairs and sofas, if necessary, to make it easier to get them in.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I have pulled out sofas from 2 different motorhomes. Also put the sofa back in one MH when I went to sell it. I had to turn them on edge (not vertical) and they came out the door easy. Well they are heavy, but fit through the door fine. Putting a new one back in, well it depends on the size. Need to measure carefully before buying. The sofas did have to be unbolted from the floor.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

There was no way our sofa-sleeper would fit through the door opening, plus, that thing was really heavy. The back folded forward to make into the bed so that meant there were two pivots. I turned it over and removed the bolts that were the pivots. We then had two manageable pieces that went through the door e-z-p-z,

Good Luck - we don't miss that sofa at all.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Mine was both heavy and 1 piece. I just removed the door frame and it came out really easy. Same thing when I had to swap out the defunct Norcold 1200 refer with a residential model. Removing the door frame gave me another 4" in width to work with. Your inches may vary.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

• 2 weeks later...

We replaced our dual recliner-love seat sofa. Backs came off the recliners and was able to take unit out in 3 sections. Pretty heavy. Replaced with an apartment sized sleeper. It's 82" wide but the trick was to find something that would fit in a 29" door. The apartment sized sofa was no problem...it was close. We love the new look. Brighter fabric and eleminated some of that dark leather-like look.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived