Awning fabric replacement

etu

Bought new Dometic replacement fabric from Camping World couple months ago for our 5th wheel. Watched the videos on how to DIY but couldn't get up the enthusiasm to do it. I could see a pair of vise grips flying across the floor and a spring coming unwound. Took it in today to nearest CW (70 miles away) and had them do it. (After watching them do it I think I coulda done it). Everything looks nice except the retractor latch is rotated downward to about the 6 o'clock position (originally it was around 10 o'clock location). I think the end cap is off one rivet hole. Makes it very difficult to trip the latch to allow you to pull the awning out.

Should I:

A) learn how to deal with it

B) fix it myself

C) take it back to CW (this will cost me a day and 140 mile round trip)

They didn't mark it them when they took it apart, being it back and have them do it right.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Put a pin in the hole to hold the spring . . . Drill out the 3 rivets . . . turn the end cap . . . insert new rivets.

15 minute job

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Put a pin in the hole to hold the spring . . . Drill out the 3 rivets . . . turn the end cap . . . insert new rivets.

15 minute job

Sounds easy but you have to get the rivet ends out of the tube or they will get caught in the mechanism, then you have to use a short 3/16 rivet so it won't interfere with the mechanism that I found hard to find. I ended up shortening some longer ones.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

They charged $117 which I thought was quite reasonable. That was based on CW master catalog rate of $89 for the install plus shop supplies (rivets, screws and sealant).

I love the old 'shop supplies' ploy. Back when they had a $39 installation special, I let them install something that basically involved drilling 8 holes and bolting (bolts were included) it on. The invoice showed about $30 in shop supplies. I asked them what the supplies were. They took the charge off.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on the latch position problem. I tried 4 times to contact the service mgr at CW to discuss getting some assistance but was unable to get beyond the vm. Finally sent an email to the GM late Sunday evening (30days after the service) and was shocked to get a reply within couple of minutes. He apologized and said he would look into it today. This afternoon he called and apologized again and said they would send a tech to my house to correct the problem. My perception of CW's commitment customer service has improved.

• 1 month later...

Ok we finally had the Camping World tech come out and fix the position of the latch on the awning. I'm updating this to let everyone know it was not possible to rotate the end cap to the correct position. The tube on this A&E dometic awing has a slot and the cap has a corresponding internal tab that must be aligned. The solution was to remove the tube from the fabric and rotate the tube position 1/3 and re instal the fabric. Glad I did not try to fix it myself although now I think I could.

Archived