HDT Conversion to pull 5th wheel

lynchtrucking

I am assuming you are not going to pull your 5th wheel with the commercial 5th wheel hitch on the truck, I'd use the appropriate ET hitch (or similar air-ride 5th wheel hitches) for your truck.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Check out the Heavy Hauler's Resource Guide you'll find a lot of answers and info there.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

For a 1 time use, buy a Hoppy, add a 7 pin round male end, and a 7 blade female end. Plug the male into the trailer jack on the truck, plug the trailer into the female coming off the Hoppy. Don't expect huge mileage off the Hoppy, but it's cheaper.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

For a 1 time use, buy a Hoppy, add a 7 pin round male end, and a 7 blade female end. Plug the male into the trailer jack on the truck, plug the trailer into the female coming off the Hoppy. Don't expect huge mileage off the Hoppy, but it's cheaper.

Totally agree or call Henry maybe he can come up with a cheep 1 time use adapter our Petes don't have all the electronic warning systems that everybody else has to worry about on the Volvos. So I think it could be done rather easy.

As for brakes one time use you could go buy a cheap electric brake controller wired into your brake light switch.

But to be honest it's not be legal but as long as you're not running in bad weather you can run it with no brakes.

I've ran mine down 7% grades and forgot that I turned the power down on the trailer brake control the truck held back just fine on the Jake only.

Hopoy and build a cord adapter. Like Darryl suggested. Prob under $100. Total. Instructions are in Hoppy. You will need the layout of the trucks commercial plug.

Really the only way to get what you want without cutting into truck wiring. That would be a mess.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

If it's an older truck just splice into the tractors rear lights ( not the trailer cord) and add some kind off brake controller, the commercial fifth wheel will work fine for one trip,

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

The issue with the commercial 5th wheel hitch is that it has no side to side articulation so be careful that you do not get the trailer in a situation where you need that movement or you will tear up your new trailer and it may not be covered under warranty.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

If it's an older truck just splice into the tractors rear lights ( not the trailer cord) and add some kind off brake controller, the commercial fifth wheel will work fine for one trip,

Many of the older trucks have a 4 pin connector in the rear end. Its got the signals you need in it. Easy place to T in for the Lights, and you don't need to worry about the converter, as those signals do not have "divided" brake and turn indicators like the trailer plug.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Archived