Looking at a 1969 MC7 - Is there a 'checklist'?

TedH

I am new to the 'forum. If my membership in my most recent corvette forum is any indication, I will be here for a VERY long time (long-time owner).

You are getting me PRE-RV. My buddy 'Pete' just bought a 1989 MCI coach (pre-conversion) with the 8v92 and Allison auto.

I am going to look at a 1969 MC7. I am assuming with the 8v71. Owner says it has manual trans (her husband knew the details). It is in an RV park in FL. Good price and already converted.

Question: What is the appropriate checklist to use when considering purchase? The price is 'under $20,000'.

Much appreciated!

Welcome to the Escapees open forums. We do our best to help and support each other and will do our best to help you also. We are happy that you are here.

On check lists, there are a number of them around but my favorite is one from the RV Consumer Group. You can get a free copy of it from this link if you wish.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Might I suggest you have a moderator move your post to the "Bus conversions" forum for greater responses.

You've came to the best place I know of for your questions. Welcome!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ted,

Check for rust. If it was a northern bus you will find rust. Service history: engine rebuild, clutch adjustment left, wheel bearings replaced, brake lining thickness. has the bus been greased recently. Fuel tank size. Check fan drive blower gear drive for oil leakage. Take the bus for a ride. Watch for short air compressor cycle time, indicative on an air leak. DOT brake check. Apply and hold applied watching air pressure. Should pretty much hold steady.

Conversion aspect and appliances are easy to check.

Good luck,

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Be very wary of emissions when it comes to these old motors. It's my understanding that some states are very strict. We had a conversion with a 6v92tta. Had 1.5 million miles on it and was still going strong when we sold it. They are a fun engine but don't tolerate lazy drivers!!

• 3 weeks later...

The two-cycle Detroits are noted for being messy engines. One joke about them is that the number in the engine designation is drops of oil per minute leaked. Not really true, but you will have to add oil frequently, and your towed will sport a grey/black face.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Yes they can be messy engines but not if driven like you hate them!! Another 'fun' fact is that they can run backwards! No not as reversing up the road but in certain situations the engines can fire up and run backwards. If that happens it's "run for the hills" time. But they are fun to drive. :wacko:

Lots of fear factor here. I will check to see if I can find the check list for MCI. We have a Silver Eagle model 01 1967, The Detroit motors can leak but there are bolts that tighten the gaskets and they mostly stop leaking. Our 8v71n runs about 6.5mpg. and about a gallon of oil in 1500 / 2000 miles. close to normal. be very careful on the conversion as you can and probably will get more money in the conversion than you can buy a converted bus for. I kbnow of a couple eagles for sale done for about 30,000. they are nice and one has a big cummins.

http://www.busforsaleguide.com/mci.htm

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

Archived