To pull a Toad or Not to pull a Toad...that's the question!

Jim/Alona

We fulltimed for 10+ years not pulling a toad, just me driving it behind our 1988 motorhome. It was fine, had it's good points and bad of course, but now we have a 1990 (still old of course) and I'm wondering if we dare pull a small toad. We are trying to avoid the "just pull it and see if it breaks down" method, is there a way of checking what needs to be checked to see if it's a safer bet?

Jim & Alona traveling with River, Rocky & Indy.

Our home, a 33' 1988 Southwind which we love!

http://arjrontheroad.blogspot.com

http://gatewatchers.blogspot.com

Do you not see the multitude of toads being pulled behind motorhomes? If it was not a good idea you would not see so many beng towed.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Have the coach's trailer hitch and frame attaching points checked by a professional, and if all is ok, and the weight specs are sufficient, then there's no reason not to tow. A '90 vintage coach likely has a smaller HP engine than the current models, so you might want go with one of the lighter toads as well.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

There's also the issue of a health emergency. If something happens that only one person can drive then I guess you would need to leave something behind. Dutch gave good advise.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I can hitch up the toad and drive us to where ever we need to go. Have done that when Dave's back has gone out and he is flat on his back on the couch. It only takes me about 5 minutes to hookup/unhook the toad by myself (in fact, that is one of my normal outside jobs). So we didn't leave anything behind.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It would be little more than a guess to venture an opinion, based only upon the statement that the RV is a 1990 year model. What chassis are we talking about, with what engine, transmission, and rear end as well as the mileage it has and perhaps a few other factors to be considered. I would take a look at the weight ratings of the RV and how closely you are operating to them. I'd look to see what I have available between the actual weight I traveled with and the gross combined weight limit, to see just what weight I could tow and not exceed the rated limits. With a 1990 chassis it is quite possible that you may have a maximum weight of 3000 to 3500# which limits you to a pretty light weight vehicle. If you stay within the rated limits, I really doubt that you will have significantly more problems than by not towing since the increase in weight is only going to be 20% or less increase above your GVWR. You could always disconnect and drive the car when you do go into very steep climbs to minimize the added work of the tow vehicle.

In my opinion, towing a small vehicle that is within the design limits of the chassis doing the towing is very unlikely to cause significantly more wear or reliability problems for the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived