pac brake

house

I am debating adding a pac brake to my truck, I got the brakes a bit warm going down into grass valley this year and I thought that having and exhaust brake might help keep them a bit cooler. I have a DT466(mechanical) and i think an AT545 I am curious to hear your opinions as to weather it is worth the $2000 +/- to add this to my truck I know this transmission is not super at providing braking because it is not a lockup unit but I am willing to downshift if i get some more breaking

The exhaust brake is definitely worth the expense. I have one on my 2007 International with the DT570 and it makes a huge difference in traffic when towing my 18,000lb Carriage. It is so effective, that I do not even use it when bobtailing (except on winding,mountain roads) as it slows the truck down too much.

It is not as good as the jake brakes on the HDTs, but IMHO you will love it anyways and wonder how you ever did without it.

Jeff and Cindy Harvey

2007 Intl 4400 DT570

2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1

I had Banks Engineering put a Banks EB on my F550 with the 7.3 Powerstroke and couldn't be more happy with it. It stopped working after 7 years and with Banks help we trouble shooted it and all it needed was a $8 part purchased at a Auto Parts store.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Get it. I lost my brakes on the I-5 "Grapevine" Going North of L.A., got the PAC brake in 98 for a '92 1 ton Dodge Cummins Diesel Dually, rarely had to touch the truck service brakes or the trailer brakes going down 6% and less grades, never overheated them again. This was 15 years ago so little things may have changed, but additional braking will always be a plus.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

You would get a bit of braking out of the truck by adding the exhaust brake but it would generate a huge amount of heat and need an extensive add-on to the cooling system for little gain.

If you really want to add more braking to that setup take a look at electronic retarders, they will work with any transmission type and the heat is dissipated by air cooling. What might fit and costs I can't answer but both these sites have a contact address.

http://www.electricbrakesystems.com

http://www.telmausa.com/

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Have you talked with Pac Brake directly? I've seen them installed on all pickups with auto and manual transmissions. On the manuals its an on/off switch that you operate, it is not automatic in that when you let off the accelerator it automatically engages. You switch it.

The Pac Brake shouldn't create any additional heat. It's a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe either directly off the turbo or downline. It slows the engine by increasing the backpressure.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The problem is that without a lock up torque converter, he has what is known as a "free wheeling" transmission. You really need to couple the intake (engine) side of the converter to the output (driveline) side to get any engine braking. Most torque converters do this with an electric clutch to lock the two together. The only thing his converter has is a viscous coupling between those two points using transmission fluid.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The brake isn't making any real heat since the engine is at idle throttle while it is engaged, it may slow the cooling of the engine and turbo a bit due to the reduced air flow though.

Where the heat comes from is the torque converter, that used to be a problem on pickps too before they switched to locking torque converters. Newer MDTs with the 3000 series Allisons have a locking converter but the old 500 series is an open converter that makes a lot of heat from fluid churn with the brake engaged.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived