AGM Batteries

Carol2c

Hi, we are thinking about changing out our batteries to AGM type batteries and am looking for information (or collective wisdom) on which brand to buy. Trogen or Lifeline. Or is there any significant difference?

Is there any particular reason for going AGM? Realizing that they will run you right around twice the price for the same capacity as a wet cell... between the two... either company is going to give you a very solid battery. Lifelines have a bit longer track record in the AGM field and produce a 'marginally' better battery (IMO). What is also rather attractive with the Lifelines is their warranty. On AGM's, Trojan offers a 12 month replacement and an additional 12 months of prorated coverage. Lifeline offers a 12 month replacement and an additional 5 years of prorated coverage. Warranties aren't the 'end all' when selecting a battery, though. My own personal choice for AGM's are the Lifelines, but if I found Trojans at a significant savings, I would be just as content to run those.

Wet cells... I'm hands down for Trojan's... with the caveat that I rely on my battery bank 24/7/365. If I only camped occasionally, I would be hard pressed to justify making that kind of investment into even Trojan wet cells.. let alone AGM's (unless the particular application required them).

Don't you need a different charging system for AGM batteries

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Depends on the system, I suppose. AGMs do require a different set point/charge rate, but I would think *most* systems could be reset...?

We just had a solar panel installed by AM Solar in Springfield, OR. We have AGM batteries (Lifelines) and I asked about what would happen if we were to ever get flooded cell batteries. We were told that there are instructions in the solar controller manual (Blue Sky Solar Boost 3000i) for changing the charge rate/set point. We may also need to reset the Solar Boost if we bought a different brand of AGM batteries that had different specs than our Lifelines.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Not necessarily, but to get the most out of your AGM's it's best to use a custom programmable charger... but that would apply to wet cells as well. Most stock converters and lower end chargers will charge your batteries (AGM's or wet cell).. just not 'well'. To preserve that large of an investment in your battery bank it's in your best interest to install a programmable "smart" charger if you do not already have one.

There is no specialized AGM charger though.. if that's what you're asking.

I had two Lifeline 8Ds in my boat. They lasted us 6 years and they're still going strong 3 years after we sold it according to the current owner. 270 amp hours each! It was a husky battery bank. However, if memory serves me, they were $980 for the two! They weighed 150# each. Luckily, I had a tractor with a front loader to lift them up into the trailered boat.

Mine were Lifeline so I have no experience with Trojan but I sure did like having no maintenance or off gassing concerns. AGMs can go inside your rig without special venting and even lay on their sides if that's the only way to make them fit. For me, they were well worth their extra cost.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

They can also be charged a lot faster than flooded batteries, if you are using a generator for all or part of your charge cycle that is really handy. The price hurts but if dragging heavy batteries around isn't something you can do yourself they are even more attractive.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I know that a lot of people have bad things to say about Optima but we are on our 13th year on ours, charged them with a standard converter until 3 years ago when it died, now we have a Progressive Dimamics coverter.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I have a optima in my offroad buggy for about that long works great BUT my boys is junk, I have herd they have move the building of the newer batteries to Mexico and the quality of the newer ones has dropped.

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Linda, whatcha get, watcha get?! :P

Good folks, them.

Yes, they are good folks...we've had them do the solar on all of our RVs! In fact, back in 1999, before Greg ever had a building to work out of, he came to the RV park where we were staying near where he lived and installed the solar on our first fifth wheel!

This time, we got just one 160-watt panel plus the solar charger I mentioned. We already have a portable 130-watt panel that we can use in conjunction with the AM Solar panel (they looked at the specs for the portable panel and said it'd work with theirs), so we have a total of 290 watts if needed. We won't be tilting the AM Solar panel since I don't do heights and DH no longer has any business on top of the roof.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived