Gettin' to Bootcamp from Austin to Livingston

cmrayaustin

I am a New RVer (2 months in a used 2011 30 ft class A Winnebago Vista in great shape only 12k miles on it). I feel pretty comfortable driving it. I have taken it on short drives, no longer than an hour or so on the Freeway and a few back roads. I am heading to RV Bootcamp Nov 20-22 and I was trying to map out my route from Austin to Livingston. I am not going to be in a hurry and I am heading out on the 19th...during the daytime. I am not towing my car.

I am wondering if I should stay on the main highways or lay back on the backroads my 'first time' out.

My instinct is to stay close to highways, just in case I have an emergency. Plus, if someone wants to pass me, the highways have multiple lanes for those who need to pass. I would also have more opportunity to pull over if I need to. But I just don't want to be on the highway the whole time.

On the other hand, the whole reason I made the decision to RV, was to hit the backroads and enjoy the views, like I do now in my car. But I don't want to hold up and force people to pass me the whole way. I am also not familiar with the 'good' back roads from Austin to Livingston.

I could do a little of both I suppose.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a new RVer taken it out for the first time on a 4-5 hour trip from Austin to Livingston? I just want to hear what other's might suggest. I am sure there are things I haven't considered.

Thank you.

Don't worry about everyone else. I am going to Conroe tomorrow. 290 to brenham and then 105 to 45. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. If people want to pass let them find the space.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I can't comment on your route options between Austin and Livingston but in general I have found TX roads to be among the best in the country, including the two-laners. At my normal speed of under 60 mph, I inevitably end up at the beginning of all parades (in a 25 foot class C, no toad). If there is a decent paved shoulder, I wait for oncoming traffic to clear then I flash my right blinker briefly, pull to the right so that I am on the left edge of the shoulder and slow down a bit so that any and all who want to pass me can easily do so. So far, I have not had any bad experiences with impatient, aggressive drivers as they try to overtake me. I must say, though, when I get on the four-lane highways, it is a nice break from constantly having to manage my parade and in fact allows me to enjoy more of the view. However you go, be safe and have fun!

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

As suggested in #3, Texas has some of the best roads of any state, especially true when you leave the interstate highways behind. I'm not quite sure how you define "main highways" but if mean by that the interstate system, it will make this a much longer trip than needed if you do that and you will also deal with some of the heaviest city traffic to be found in Texas. For that reason I would simply drop that thought from consideration.

Now if "main highways" to you means the US routes, then to avoid those would make for a very long and slow trip as you could get there by traveling the county and state highways only, but it would take a lot of planning and study and make far more complicated a trip which is really not that difficult. If you look at Google Maps for your trip, you will find that it gives a choice of 3 different routes, none of which use any interstate highway but all 3 do use some US highways. Total travel times range from 3 hr. 33 min. to 3 hr. 38 min. so as you can see there isn't a great deal of advantage in speeds or distances from any of those choices. I have traveled all of those routes and really don't see a great difference among them. Any of those choices will use US290 to start out and in my opinion, you would be foolish to not use that as you leave the Austin area unless you happen to know the roads so well that you have some preferred alternate route. The route that I'd take is the one using TX21 through Bryan/College Station, but the route using TX290 to Breham to TX105 would have just a bit less in town traffic as Brenham is much smaller than Bryan. The northern route is probably the way that your GPS will take you, if you use one. Those two then join together at Roans Prairie on TX30 over to Huntsville where it changes to US190 the rest of the way into Livingston. Once in Livingston, just watch for TX 146 to the south. There is a Jack-in-the-Box drive-in on the northeast corner at the point that you turn on to TX146. You then make a right turn onto that road which is also S, Houston Ave, and continue south for 6,2 miles to Rainbow's End on the right. As you turn into the park the office will be directly in front of you.

th_rainbow_n_sign.jpg

edit Corrected a typo.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have driven that route a few times. I like 290 to Brenham then 105 so I can stop at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant in Conroe. I like their food and they are good about letting me spend the night in their parking lot if I choose not to go on to Rainbow's End. I tend to start late morning and the office at RE closes early enough to not always be able to check in that day--which means parking one place that night then moving the next day.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The route Kirk has suggested is right on the money...take your time and enjoy the drive, it is really beautiful this time of the year. I would suggest starting later than 9 am in the morning because of heavy school traffic (buses and parents) on the smaller roads between towns. I would also suggest a great place to stop and rest and enjoy the view at the east end of the big bridge over Lake Livingston. It is now a large KOA campground that you can't miss and the restaurant is right on the water. Good food and a great place to stop and rest. Safe travels!!

I would suggest you take a route that has paved shoulders if possible. I know when I first drove my new motorhome, the lack of shoulders really was scary because I had trouble judging width and was afraid I would "fall" off the pavement and lose control. Nice, paved shoulders will give you a comfort zone.

You can travel along back roads when you feel more comfortable.

Archived