brakingsytstem for toad

jimd40

I see you aren't getting much feedback. I can't be of any help on that particular system. I've never heard of it. But, I will tell you that I can't say enough good about the Ready Brake/tow bar brake system. We are in a motor home towing a 2012 Scion XP with a Blue Ox plate and the Ready Brake towbar. It is all in one and operates on the surge brake idea. Do a search for it on google and read up on it. It works great. No brake buddy or whatever in the car. Hope this helps,

Here is the link for the mfg. website.

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

Ray

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

Con: It is more expensive than the "brake in a box" systems.

Sensitivity needs to be adjusted so toad brakes are not applied too hard during normal stops.

Pro: Getting ready to tow is a matter of flipping a switch.

Brakes are only applied if the coach brakes are activated.

Everything is hidden from view.

It uses the toads own power assist when braking. It is not just pressing extra hard on a dead system.

Do you have to have your toad running? That would be the only way it could use the power assist. This unit is very sensitive to the braking on the motor home. It only applies as needed. Not sure what a "brake in a box" is. I guess I'll have to do some checking so we can both be on the same page. Can you give me a better name for the unit you are talking about? I found nothing googling what you called it. Also, I'm not sure what the cost is but I bought mine through a vendor other than the mfgr. I think I paid about $700 complete. If you already have a tow bar, all you would need would be the actual brake mechanism.

R

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

Haven't used the Stay-N-Play Duo but do have it's relative the Air force One system. The Duo is for hydraulic systems and the One is for air brake systems. All I have read is that both units are very smooth and the people using them are happy with them. The biggest complaint is higher cost than the other units but they are also long lived. BTW both are made by SMI. It's worth checking the internet and other forums.

Good luck, good health and safe travels!

Haven't used the Stay-N-Play Duo but do have it's relative the Air force One system. The Duo is for hydraulic systems and the One is for air brake systems. All I have read is that both units are very smooth and the people using them are happy with them. The biggest complaint is higher cost than the other units but they are also long lived. BTW both are made by SMI. It's worth checking the internet and other forums.

Good luck, good health and safe travels!

That's us x2.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We have used a Brake Buddy for eleven years and have hd good luck with it. Brake-Away switch on the front of the toad.

Been happy with it. Just be sure to read the instructions on the setup. The only auxiliary line is from the Break-Away switch on the front to the Brake-Buddy.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Also not familiar with Stay n Play. Since I may tow the car or the truck 4 down I just went with a Brake Buddy on which I can adjust weight (of tow vehicle) and sensitivity depending on which vehicle I'm towing and it has performed fine so far. I can install or remove it in like 30 seconds and a breakaway switch is all that required as it has a remote transmitter I keep in the RV that shows me when the toad brakes are applied. However, I rely mostly on how I can "feel" when and how strong the toad brakes are activated which helps me adjust the weight and sensitivity so the toad only brakes in hard stop situations and NOT my typical normal slowwwwwwwwwwwwww stops.

Best wishes, keep safe

John T

We have used a Brake Buddy for eleven years and have hd good luck with it. Brake-Away switch on the front of the toad.

Been happy with it. Just be sure to read the instructions on the setup. The only auxiliary line is from the Break-Away switch on the front to the Brake-Buddy.

We had a used one for almost 10 years, then upgraded to a newer used one and sold the old one and it is still in use. Our total BB use was about 15 years and not one problem.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

JimD40

The Stay-in-Play is an excellent unit. I had a brake buddy for several years and on advise of a friend, I purchased and installed a Stay-in-Play. It was like night and day. The brake buddy cannot hold a candle to the Stay-in-Play. The Stay-in-Play has a vacuum pump that you pipe into your power brake system so that when the brakes are activated on your toad, you are using power brakes. I could really tell that it was working. My jeep no longer pushed my motorhome when I needed to stop. Instead, it helped it. I have since sold my motorhome and jeep. I removed the Stay-in-Play. Look on youtube for the video that also comes on a CD with the unit for how to install it. The video also tells a lot about how it works. A great product.

RetiredSKP

2000 Kountry Star 34BKWB Fifth Wheel

I have the sibling Air Force One, works great. Easy to hook up, nothing to see or store, except for a coiled air hose, power cord, and safety wire. Hooking up to tow takes maybe 5 minutes, and half of that is double checking everything

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

what are the pros and con about stay in play system ?? thanks jim

What kind of "break-away" braking does it have?

Some of the auxiliary braking systems have a vacuum pump that installs on the tow vehicle.

The additional vacuum pump will actuate the tow vehicle brakes in the event that the toad is separated from the tow vehicle.

I'm not sure if the surge-brake type systems will do that for you.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the SMI Say-in-play brake system in my Jeep Liberty just recently. It is a great system, not so easy to install but when you hook up all you do is flip the switch and it is ready.

It does have break away braking, when the switch is pulled the vacuum and air are activated and the brakes go on.

This system has a vacuum pump built in and that is connected to the brake booster so you have power brakes when the system is on.

I don't think I would trust some of the cable systems. Have you ever tried to stop a vehicle with power brakes when the power is gone??

My brake system works very well and easy to adjust, I told my wife, it costs a little more but we are talking brakes.

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Archived