Relief for the forum at last :)

noteven

yesterday I was getting "504 SQL server error" danger danger red banner messages when trying to look at the HDT forum.

Now I can look but can't save a reply post - "saving post" appears for 10 minutes and nothing happens...

Looks like I am a reader only from now on...

"Finally ... Blessed relief" the forum veterans are saying :lol:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

My experience is that you can reply to the post - but it does not refresh your screen and show your posting. Hit reload and it will show it. But you have to manually reload the screen.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet! No new topics or posting showing up. But there are new postings on some of the topics. Just have to take a look at what you might have been following and see if anyone has posted.

Travis posted that the SQL server had packed it in and taken the forums down, they had to restart it. Then the database the SQL server uses had corruption issues and needed cleaned which they did this morning. Still a couple minor glitches that they are working on but for the most part things are back to normal.

Remember these forums don't pay for themselves aside from the little ad in the top bar and some "good will" so they aren't staffed 24x7, more like 8x5 minus holidays and days that there are higher priority (mail sorter for example) issues that get attention first.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Remember these forums don't pay for themselves aside from the little ad in the top bar and some "good will" so they aren't staffed 24x7, more like 8x5 minus holidays and days that there are higher priority (mail sorter for example) issues that get attention first.

I wonder how Escapees would fare without these forums?

I wonder how Escapees would fare without these forums?

Bite your tongue! :o

I would hate to see these forums go away...they're a huge fountain of knowledge! They're the only forums I read anymore...used to read the Open Roads Forums and the IRV2 forums, but there are problems with each, so I no longer go to either site.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Bite your tongue! :o

I would hate to see these forums go away...they're a huge fountain of knowledge! They're the only forums I read anymore...used to read the Open Roads Forums and the IRV2 forums, but there are problems with each, so I no longer go to either site.

My point exactly - I was responding to Stan's comment "Remember these forums don't pay for themselves ...".

My contention is that Escapees gets a fortune in free advertising from these forums and without them Escapees, as a company, would be relegated to one of the many Mail Box Services in the eyes of the RV community. It is these forums and the interaction of the forum readers that makes the Escapees community what it is.

And I will guarantee the Carrs know it!

Maybe the moderators ought to negotiate some compensation or stock participation? :P

It is my opinion that the Forums are a major recruiting and "awareness" factor for Escapees. Especially in the case of the "X generation" and others that are somewhat younger than their 60's. People today EXPECT electronic interaction. Without the forums Escapees would be a second-tier organization. IMO. Thus I think the forums are a major factor in their continued success. They actually ought to pay MORE attention to the forums than they do.....again, just MY opinion.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That would be the "good will" I mentioned above.

How much that good will is worth is probably hard to determine but I'd think the management has made some effort to see how these forums perform as both a recruiting and retention tool. Feedback from members (directly to the club not just posts here) is probably one of the factors in what priority and funding levels they devote to the forum operation.

I think overall the club is doing a decent job here, the forums are usually up and when down are fixed in a reasonable time. Between the admins responding to spam reports and the weekend moderators zapping spammers the spam seems to be under control, not gone by any means though. The rule enforcement seems pretty fair and fairly lax and seems to be mostly done in response to reports by other members of problems. Official club responses to posts is a bit weak as they are only aware of the questions if the poster or a reader sends in a report asking for an official response but once they are made aware of an issue they respond.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived