Anyone have USAA ins on their hdt?

Exile

Contacted them recently - said right up front that they couldn't actually write the policy and that they would act as broker with Progressive as underwriter.

However, it's becoming ever more obvious that no one but Progressive will write an HDT policy in KY...Not sure why, something screwy somewhere.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

USAA sent me to Progressive when I went looking for a quote, yet Progressive told me they couldn't write a policy for an HDT. I debated going back to USAA and instructing them to update their form (I clearly picked HDT on a USAA form before I got punted to Progressive, so they truly had an opportunity to tell me directly that they couldn't do it), but decided to drop it until I actually pick an HDT.

Interestingly, an agent for Blue Sky told me they couldn't do an HDT, but if the no-trailer weight of the truck was less than 26k, they'd happily insure it as an MDT. We got a little wrapped around the axle of the definition of "gross weight", but he seemed convinced that he only cared about the truck's actual gross weight and not its rating, so I decided to roll with it. Makes me think commercial trucks should update their door stickers to say GVWR not GVW.

I tried through USAA originally as well. They sent me to Progressive. Progressive would write me a policy, but it was a commercial policy and very expensive.

I called Blue Sky and they were happy to write me a policy as long as my truck by itself didn't weigh more than 26000 lbs (actual weight). This way they could call it an MDT in their system. They also wanted my fiver bundled with the truck. I had them run some numbers and looked at the policy (as well as having an insurance broker friend of mine review the policy). The policy (for HDT and 5er) was cheaper and had better coverage than my USAA policy for my 5er and Chevy dually (about half the cost) for a year.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I tried through USAA originally as well. They sent me to Progressive. Progressive would write me a policy, but it was a commercial policy and very expensive.

I called Blue Sky and they were happy to write me a policy as long as my truck by itself didn't weigh more than 26000 lbs (actual weight). This way they could call it an MDT in their system. They also wanted my fiver bundled with the truck. I had them run some numbers and looked at the policy (as well as having an insurance broker friend of mine review the policy). The policy (for HDT and 5er) was cheaper and had better coverage than my USAA policy for my 5er and Chevy dually (about half the cost) for a year.

I had the same experience with Bluesky. I also had to use their motor club which is roadside assistance when I lost the ECM in my Volvo. They had it transported to the shop 50 miles from me no questions asked. I have been very happy with price and service so far. Big advantage I see is motor club covers all my vehicles whether insured with Bluesky or not.

USAA told me same thing, transferred me to progressive. Told progressive the year and make, was still a twin screw but registered as RV. They pulled the VIN and didnt give me any grief, said I could use it for anything, didnt have to have the 5th wheel attached could basically use for whatever except for obviously commercial use. They quoted me somewhere around $650 a year for liability. I ended up going with another company just because I got a steal of a deal but the only downside is having to use it ONLY for the 5er.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

Archived