Which is better Directv or Dish for Satellite Reception

I am retiring my tripod antennas after 22 years and I am ready to buy an automatic ground carry out. I am able to switch providers. I have heard Dish performance is better to see through obstructions. We mainly travel in the Northwest and find plenty of trees. Please advise me of your experiences. HD is preferred but not necessary. I have seen one with a switch for either service. Thanks............ Jim Ault 480-807-0333

The satellites for both are 22,500 miles above the Earth.

Some will say the grouping of DirecTV satellites are tighter meaning that a smaller hole in the trees is needed. Since you are talking about an automatic ground dome, that is a non-issue as DirecTV would be limited to one SD only satellite.

Dish has a few more degrees spread in the three satellites but a automatic ground dome can access all three and therefore you will have access to all the Dish channels (based upon subscription) including HD.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Unless someone has some empirical data on DISH vs DirecTV sat reception, I'd say it's a horse apiece.

So, with a DISH ground dome, you can get HD programming, but using a DVR is really impractical because of satellite switching. With DirecTV, no HD, but you'll be able to use a DVR.

On the other hand, if you can pop for a rooftop Winegard Travler, either sat service will work just fine.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

So, with a DISH ground dome, you can get HD programming, but using a DVR is really impractical because of satellite switching. With DirecTV, no HD, but you'll be able to use a DVR.

Not sure what you mean by this since DirecTV channels are all digital and if broadcast in HD, you get HD. Either with DirecTV or Dish, the satellite setup determines if you get standard or HD. Not all RV dishes are set up for HD so if that is important to you, be sure to check. With Dish, you will have to move between satellites to get certain channels, so once again the system you buy will need to be compatible with the provider. Neither will give you better reception over the other. Once again, that will depend on your equipment. Look at the costs for the programming package you want and make your decision based on that. Although Dish claims to have the same package as DirecTV for a lower price, it is not the same channel line up. Dish is offering a 2 year price lock right now, but again, look carefully at the channel line up before deciding and read the fine print. We have had satellite service for 15 years and had both Dish and DirecTV. We prefer DirecTV for the channel offerings and better customer service from DTV. Good luck. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Not sure what you mean by this since DirecTV channels are all digital and if broadcast in HD, you get HD

DirecTV uses different style LNBF for the satellites that carry HD programming. Different from the style used in domes. So with DirecTV you won't be able to receive DirecTV HD satellites with a dome.

Dish used the same LNBF for all it satellites and a dome can access all the satellites, one at a time. Dish has its HD channels spread on the three Western Arc satellites (119, 110, 129),the most common for RVers.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Yes, you have to watch those little phrase like at KVH

• HDTV compatible (Ku-band services only)

Ku-Band is SD for DirecTV and SD and HD for Dish

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

One advantage we've found in using Dish is the option of using either the three western arc sats or the three eastern arc sats. That choice increases our aiming options pretty significantly when dealing with heavily treed sites. To date, we've yet to land on a site where I couldn't hit at least one of the six sats, and usually at least two of them when all three on a given arc are not visible. We may not always get all the channels we want to watch in HD in those conditions, but we can usually at least get all the channels.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

One advantage we've found in using Dish is the option of using either the three western arc sats or the three eastern arc sats. That choice increases our aiming options pretty significantly when dealing with heavily treed sites.

Mmmmmm . . . tad bit of spin here, Dutch.

I think DirecTV has DISH beat in the less-is-more sats arena (+ minimal wiring with SWM technology). For example, with DISH, if your only option are the Eastern Arc sats, then you'll probably need to drag out the tripod dish because the DISH Travler is really Western Arc only.

On the other hand, with DirecTV, the only time you'd need to drag out the portable was if your RV was under trees.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I think DirecTV has DISH beat in the less-is-more sats arena (+ minimal wiring with SWM technology). For example, with DISH, if your only option are the Eastern Arc sats, then you'll probably need to drag out the tripod dish because the DISH Travler is really Western Arc only.

To a point. I have used my Trave'ler to get Satellite 61.5 and had an acceptable number of the stations I wanted to watch. I just didn't free like putting up the tripod that day.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I have installed many Intellian systems on boats that are capable of receiving HD on K band for one. Chuck

From Intellian i-Series:

Every Intellian i-Series antenna system is capable of receiving Standard (SD) and High Definition (HD) programming from any Ku Band Satellite TV service provider.

From Intellian s-Series:

global reception of Ku-band Satellites

Like it or not, DirecTV made no consideration of RVers when they changed to using KA LNBFs for the satellites carrying HD programming. That move obsoleted all domes from receiving HD programming because there is not enough room inside a dome to have two LNBFs and the size reflector needed to handle them.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I have installed many Intellian systems on boats that are capable of receiving HD on K band for one. Chuck

KVH also makes a Dome that will get DirecTV HD.

Watch out for underpasses if you put it on your roof. :D

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I am retiring my tripod antennas after 22 years and I am ready to buy an automatic ground carry out.

This thread has kind of strayed from the original intent.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I don't think so. OP should know capabilities of DISH/DirecTV carry outs before choosing, don't you think?

I totally agree, but I don't consider a 4' wide and 4' tall 60 lb. dome dish as a carryout.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I totally agree, but I don't consider a 4' wide and 4' tall 60 lb. dome dish as a carryout.

No the small one is 2' 2.1" X 2' 3.4" not 4'

It is 61 lb but that will probably not get knocked over in a wind like the RV one. :)

Rv domes are 1' 1.5" X 1' 1.3" 8 lb

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

One other tidbit of information is if you only want SD then Direct might be the better choice as they broadcast all their SD on satellite 101. Dish SD is split between 110 & 119 to get all your channels.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

One other tidbit of information is if you only want SD then Direct might be the better choice as they broadcast all their SD on satellite 101. Dish SD is split between 110 & 119 to get all your channels.

Actually, depending on where you're camped, you might have DISH SD on 110, 119, 129 or 61.5, 72.7, 77.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Mmmmmm . . . tad bit of spin here, Dutch.

On the other hand, with DirecTV, the only time you'd need to drag out the portable was if your RV was under trees.

A good point of course, but since I use a tripod mounted 1000.4 dish anyway, the arc choice gives me a more flexibility than even a tripod mounted DTV Slimline. And the 1000.4 only needs a single wire run to the coach for our Hopper and Joey. Oh, and I did say the two arc choice was most useful "when dealing with heavily treed sites." :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived