56th Escapade questions

The much better half and I have never been to the North East though we have talked about traveling there several times over the years, it seems we always head south or west. Seeing that the 56th Escapade is going to be in Vermont we are seriously considering going. It would be our first Escapade as well. We plan on going full time in 2-3 years and the whole reason we joined Escapees was to learn as much as we could from others, so our thinking is why not go? Having experience with some "other" National RV type ralleys here are my questions.

1. Room. Will there be room to fully use our RV? With the slides and awning out while on the grounds? Some we've been to were more like parking lots. We always meet some nice folks and learn something new, but there was often very little getting to enjoy our RV.

2. Any word on the number of full hook-up sites available? Water/Electric only? Electric? Boondocking?

3. We take our motorcycles with us everywhere we go. They were the whole reason we purchased a Toy Hauler. Will they be a problem? We've never been told at other rallys they were, but the looks of disgust, sighs, and sometimes being outright ignored often proved disconcerting. (we are very courteous with our Harleys. No reving, no excessive idling, and we ride in and out very slowly at resonable hours)

I'm in no way trying to insinute that any Escapade past or future were as disappointing as some of the "other" National ralleys we have been to I'm simply trying to plan our vaction as best I can so we can have as much fun as possible while learning from, and meeting other good folks. If staying off site would work better for us I would like others thougts on this as well. Want to avoid getting there and wishing we had stayed off site, and conversly don't want to stay off site and wish I hadn't. LOL

Any and all insite would be appreciated. Thanks.

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

Insure Bob or Molly Punner will chime in on your questions but I can't imagine your motorcycle s will be sneered at or othwise looked down upon. Come have fun

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Hi Sniper,

Molly and I are happy to hear you plan to attend the 56th Escapade in Essex Junction, VT next year. There are over 900 water and electric sites and a very few full hook-ups. Pump-out service will be available as a prepaid service. You and your Harleys will be welcomed with-out the stares and grumbles you may have experienced at other rallys so plan to stay onsite with hundreds of other fun loving RVers.

Bob

Bob and Molly

www.moonriverandwe.blogspot.com
Two drifters...off to see the world....
SKP #73997

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your replys, and words of encouragement. Wow 900 sites, that's pretty impressive. So slides and awnings out will be no problem? I'm already doing some route planning. :)

Thanks again.

Sniper & Sweet P

Hi there...."slides out" no problem; awnings out....most likely not a problem. At most events there is space for the majority of folks to put out awnings. Depending on the facility and the number of attendees, it is possible that awnings could be a problem, but honestly, not too likely. There have been no complaints about that in the past few years, if that helps.

You'll have a much better time and get to know many more folks when you stay onsite with everyone else.

Also, as to the bikes, there is a new BoF (Birds of a Feather) group starting up for riders. Look up Dennis Hill for more info, but it should be a fun group to join. I'm guessing there will be a social held at Escapade for the new group to get started, if Dennis is there. Unless you're doing a lot of wheelies or waking folks up at night, you and your bikes will be most welcome at Escapade! :)

Hugs and hope to see you there!

Molly

Bob and Molly

www.moonriverandwe.blogspot.com
Two drifters...off to see the world....
SKP #73997

Thanks Molly! Seems like I read somewhere about the new BoF group. Rest assured my "wheelie" days are long gone, and we are usually back sitting in our rocking chairs well before dark. :)

Thanks again.

Sniper & Sweet P

Let me add just a footnote to what Molly posted, if I may. Your bikes clearly won't be unwelcome there but they probably won't be a good means of travel from your site to the events as parking at the venues tends to be pretty limited. What we do have is oversize golf cars serving as commuter service from the RV sites to the various locations that events are held and those of us who work security also provide rides unless we happen to be going to some specific location/purpose. As a result there are alternatives to walking between the RV and the events. I have seen a few small bikes used to commute and even an occasional golf cart or ATV that belong to a participant but not all that many and the main reason is parking at the buildings on the grounds.

With any luck at all, we will fill most of those 900 sites as there were similar numbers in Tucson last March, but meeting folks is a great deal of what an Escapade is all about. Even after more than 35 years of RV travel, Pam & I find that there are at least some seminars that we can learn new things from and the social events are terrific! What I think is not well publicized is the extensive social network that happens in the campground with very little planning or organization. We see many old friends there that we may not have seen in a long time and we always make numerous new friends. One of the advantages of foot travel is the people you meet and the gatherings that you find yourself joining with no planning or invitations. Escapees who you do not know are just fiends that you haven't yet met! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk. I really appreciate your words. To be clear, we have absolutely no plans, nor have we ever used, our motorcycles to commute through the grounds to seminars and such. They are our chosen mode of site seeing the surrounding area once we our set up, but having room for them at our site is a must. We are bikers, everything we do revolves around motorcycles, and all our travels used to be on bikes sleeping on the ground, however 10 years ago I was diagnosed with a rare form of muscular dystrophy and so my 600 miles a day of riding are over. Having our toy hauler allows us to still travel and enjoy our motorcycles, and has raised my spirits considerably. This is the big reason we are trying to set ourselves up to full time, is so we can travel while I still can. I do get very good treatment and care at the V.A. If I may say so.

Sure hope I didn't come off as "sniveling" about anything, because I have little tolerance for those who do. LOL Just wanting to get as much info as I can, based on some "past" experiences that we have had at "other" larger events.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and hope others will chime in as well. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

This is the big reason we are trying to set ourselves up to full time, is so we can travel while I still can. I do get very good treatment and care at the V.A. If I may say so.

Sure hope I didn't come off as "sniveling" about anything, because I have little tolerance for those who do. LOL Just wanting to get as much info as I can, based on some "past" experiences that we have had at "other" larger events.

I commend you! We went on the road with Pam suffering several serious medical issues and stayed out until the day came when she required a period of frequent medical attention. Fortunately we have surmounted most of those issues at least for now and so are traveling seasonally now once more. She isn't a vet but I, like you have only good things to say of my experiences with them. And I do not see anything wrong in your comments, just telling us what your situation is.

I'll look forward to meeting you in Vermont next year. I'll be working with the security team, so watch for us! Should be fairly easy to locate us in the staff camping area so do look us up!

Sniper, bringing your bikes for site seeing is a great idea. If you take 117 south out of Essex Junction, it follows the Winooski river for a way, or take 15 west to Route 7 north or south for another ride with nice scenery. I'm from southern Vermont, but those are roads I like to take when I'm up in the North Country. (I don't have a bike, and I don't ride, but I do like a nice scenic drive).

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

Thanks for the route advice Beans, I'll be taking a look at those routes for sure. It looks like that is some beautiful country up in those parts.

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

• 5 weeks later...

So I registered - I think. Filled everything out, clicked, it said "Charging?" and sat there for over an hour doing nothing. No e-mail. Am I registered?

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I'm wondering about the same thing Dennis. Tried to register on line last Tuesday, it stopped working at the same spot. I called in and did the register thing with Livingston. They cleaned out the info I left on line. I think it worked since I saw the credit charge on my credit account, but, as you said "No e-mail. Am I registered?" Think we're supposed to get an Email confirmation.

I guess I'll call Monday.

Bill j. with one very understanding wife, 2004 34ft. Meridian Itasca DP, 2013 honda CRV, one comanding CAT!!
SKP # 63321

Dennis, Call the business office Tuesday and check on your status, I heard they were having issues with the registration machine but got it working again.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We will be there! Just got orders from the Commander and she said so! LOL Still not sure if we are staying on "site" yet, but we should have it all figured out over the next few weeks. Hope to meet a bunch of you there. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be there also. I'll be working with security and Pam with the crafts crew.

Kirk, glad to see you're going. I registered the wife and I this past weekend including boot camp. Not sure we'll have sold the house then or not but perfect timing for our plan to be FT by fall 2016. Mighty handy to have it right in our back yard so to speak!

56 more work days for me but who's counting? We'll look for you there ... Look forward to meeting in person!

Cheers,

Don

I registered on 9/6. They charged my CC but no confirmation yet!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I registered on 9/6. They charged my CC but no confirmation yet!

I'm sure they'll get it to you. You've got a few days before you actually need it. :-) I registered online Sunday and called them Monday with a question and they acknowledged my registration. Just give them a call and ask. They were super helpful when I called. I wasn't really calling to confirm, just to ask a couple questions about the boot camp.

Cheers,

Don

My wife and I will be going to a rally of some sort to get educated on the FT life. The question is (and this may be the wrong place to ask it!) which rally is better? Ecapade, RV-Dreams, iRV2? There are probably more, but what makes one better than the other?

First let me welcome you to the Escapee's RV Club forums! We are always happy to have new folks join in and we will do all that we are able to assist and support you as you move into the RV community.

I would base my choice upon the fact that of the three you are considering, Escapee's is the only host that supplies a support system for those who are full-time RV travelers. You may also want to consider how long each has been doing rallies, Escapees by far. Or consider which organization is the largest and has the most members living the full-time RV lifestyle. All would point you to the Escapade.

That said, I have never attended either of the other two, but based upon observation of both of them since they first came into existence, I probably won't be changing that plan any time soon. RV-Dreams is by far the one with the least history and IRV2 is basically just a gathering for members from the forum, which is pretty much a mix of all RV lifestyles. They are a good forum, but I'd be pretty surprised if they offer even close to the amount of seminar choices and activities. Take a look at what Escapade has to offer in the program, as the main problem is choosing what you wish to attend when there are two things at the same time. I think that you would also be wise to consider attending the RV Boot Camp, in the days immediately preceding the Escapade. To give some idea, last March in Tucson Escapade had more than 900 RV's attending.

But the question remains, is there some reason that you can only attend one of the three you mention? There are several others around and they may be even more attractive than some of those you are considering. Good Sam National Rally FMCA Rally

Passport America Rally Go Camping Rally guide RV brand rallies Just to give you a few ideas. As much as I consider the Escapade to be by far the best rally that we have taken part in, there are literally hundreds of possible rally choices.

Archived