Washing a dually

gordonpc

I purchased a new 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 dually in May. After parking it outside for the past two months, it's filthy and badly in need of a wash. It doesn't help that it's black. I'm wondering where people go to wash their dually. Most car washes appear too small to handle a dually.

Phil and Jan Gordon

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38 RSB3

2015 RAM 3500 Long Horn DRW / Crew Cab / Long Bed / 6.7 Cummins Diesel / 4x4 / AISIN / 4.1

B&W 3600 Companion hitch

I always wash mine in the RV park, by hand. What a job. Most decent park will allow wash, for a small water usage fee and request you use a water control on the hose. A few won't allow it. I had on park that wanted $25. in Southern CA. I told them I didn't want them wash it.....rockin'

On edit: I use soft water and do a section at a time, drying with a fake chamois (forgot the name) from Wal Mart as I go. If you do the wheel wheels too, it's good 3 hour job.

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Especially with black make sure to use lots of water and a clean rag or sponge. The 2 bucket methods is best where you use one for wash water and then rinse in another bucket before dipping in wash water again. Black can be beautiful or not depending on how careful you are. I second the by hand wash job.

I do as rockintom mentioned above although I have found many that do not allow it - at least in the areas we have traveled to. I usually look at the rules and if they don't specifically restrict it I go for it. I recently stayed at the SKP park in Chimacum WA and was pleasantly surprised that they actually have a specific car wash station with a concrete pad etc (nice change of pace). I also try to take advantage of the rain if it is not too cold.

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

Gene........that's too weird......we're there right now and I washed the car and truck yesterday at that car wash. We had to deal with the heat (89*F) but with the tall trees on either side of the wash spot give shade with the exception of mid day. Nice, like you said. They'll let you wash the 5th wheel on the site, with a hose water control.

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

In Yuma, AZ. there is a "NoTouch" automatic wash that a dually will go thru. You know the one with lights "GO", "Stop" etc. But it only cleans an already "clean" truck. Won't cut road film etc. So at the park, I can wash it but the water spots. So I wash it at the park and then run it thru the NoTouch with spotfree water and rinse. Works out well. Of course I don't wash it unless it is dirty. I'm just not a washer and polisher.

At home, I use the 2-bucket method over a period of 4 days to wash/wax/detail the truck. On the road I have used manual car washes. Today I will use an automatic car wash that fits duallies. Next time I'm on a long trip, I will make sure to remember my buckets and wash equipment. Will use the same stuff on the coach.

I am fortunate that even in our small community there is a touchless wash that will accommodate "Dually's". In fact the sign even says "Dually's Welcome". The thing I like most about it is that it has an under carrage sprayer. It still don't get the truck as clean as doing it by hand though.

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

We usually wash the truck at our camp site if allowed, it's quicker, cheaper, and greener than driving to a car wash. If it's really dirty, we will use soap otherwise just rinse it down and dry off, 15 minutes max, it don't have to be perfectly clean. I have the pocket hose hooked up in the water compartment, so it's easy access and always ready to go. The best option is to just wipe it down after a rain or heavy dew. I try to do a good hand wax job every couple of months also.

Greg

Archived