New horizons and drv

Nanascots

Check the Ford Towing Guides, weigh your truck and work the numbers out. The DRV probably, the New Horizons, probably not.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I am a newbie, but I think you want to look at the actual weight capacity numbers, towing and pin weight for the truck and trailer. Then, if it were me, I would build in a cushion and not try hauling at full rated capacity.

You did not ask about HDT's, but let me add, that I bought (literally) into the HDT justifications I heard from the forums HDT users who used to drive LDT's and I am not at all sorry that I did. Mainly for safety reasons. But also, I would not want to be driving a big pickup around as a daily driver. We are putting a lot of miles on our little smart car. I also believe that overall cost may be less with the HDT over time. I think the disadvantages that I have found for the HDT are greater when compared to a smaller trailer that can be maneuvered into older campgrounds in State and Federal Parks. But if you are looking at 40 foot trailers anyhow, it may not be for you, but I think you should give an HDT full consideration.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Most years of F450 will tow most 40' NH without a problem. Within specs. If you are more specific in what you want on the NH and which year your truck is and what you have in the truck (for example, hauler body?) I can give you a more specific answer.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

What Jim said.

My concern is if you have a brake problem on the fiver, any many do, what do you think is going to slow you down and stop you on the major downgrades around the country?

An F450 may pull it (I had an appointment set up for one), but will it stop it? Read the HDT section. There has even been a thread about which HDT stops better. I would bet the farm that any LDT would required a whole lot more distance for stopping, especially in an emergency.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

All F450's are dually. Do you have a conventional bed or a hauler body?

In air ride hitches for that truck I'd put on a Trailersaver with the third airbag. New Horizons can do that for you if you choose.

That truck should pull a 40' New Horizons within specs assuming that you do not do anything extraordinary to the fiver....like putting on 2000lbs of batteries.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Forks Rv has there show model for sale. I believe it's 40ft and they tow it to shows with a 450. Look on there web site for details. It's a nice unit for a great price. Or feel free to contact me anytime. Details below.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

No hauler bed...

We do want to install solar

Should be no problem then.

New Horizons also has this years show model for sale. I would suggest that you look at both the NH and the Forks show models. Both manufacturers build a very nice unit with far better infrastructure than the DRV. Don't get me wrong, the DRV is quite nice for the money paid. But it is no Forks or New Horizon.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 3 months later...

Archived