Max Brake air sensor help?

Radar274

I think the resource guide has the answer but unable to load hhrvresource.com/. There are 3 air lines going to the trailer brake lever on the dash that come through the firewall. A 1/4" yellow, 3/8" gray and a 3/8" green. If I remember, Bill B used the 3/8" gray tube to hook-up the air sensor for the Max brake is that correct?

thanks Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

I recall reading that portion and I know someone used the 3/8" grey, that didnt work for me but my truck is a Peterbilt. After tracking down the line that would work with the brake and handle I can now say I know my air system pretty good :) However I was about ready to blow the whole thing in place at the time :angry:

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

Darkhorse

I have a Volvo the Gray line connects to the handle and I tracked it back to the trailer valve BOC so it looks right. Hopefully the Resource guide will be up tomorrow!

Thanks

Bob&Kay

Don't know about a gen 2 Volvo but the gen 1 tees into the black line just before the stop light switch. Very easy to get to. That way it gets air from the brake pedal or the trailer hand brake valve. Just put a Hayes on my '01 660 and it works great. I downloaded the "Air Brake System.pdf" but I could not upload it here. If you are interested in looking at it send my a PM with a e-mail address and I will forward it to you.

I also put a set of relays in the 12VDC power line to the Hayes. At loss of power to the Hayes the Sonalert alarms and the LED lights. The LED is built into a switch so I can disable the Sonalert but the red LED will stay on until power is restored. I also put an ammeter in the blue wire controller output to know how much current is being fed to the brakes.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Chet

Thanks for the info and diagram. I found a topic on the subject for Gen 2 Volvo's, it verified the Gray line will work. Installing the hitch and laying out the bed this week, sure hope the resource guide works today!

bob

Bob&Kay

The relays are not really necessary but serve two functions I like:

1 Power off the Hayes with the ignition off

2. Give an audible alarm if you loose power to the brake controller and brakes if you do not notice the red light on the Hayes not coming on.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I was thinking about your diagram the other day and..... Do you think the warning light/buzzer could be rigged to remind someone with a bobtail proportioning valve truck to push in the red knob? Some sort of trailer sense "circuit" and a pressure switch in the trailer emergency supply/BPR control? Or maybe take my pneumatic contraption at the end of this old thread, and tee a pressure switch in with the brake controller transducer and wire that pressure switch into the schematic?

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=108040&page=3

Am I correct that the trailer brake control lever can be made to control the Max Brake unit On a 2009 730. It would be a lot more convenient than reaching down below my left knee on the dash.

Where do I find the specific instructions / schematics or diagrams on how to make this work and what parts are required please and thank you.

It won't be me doing the work but I do know someone very capable so would like to give him all the info he would require.

Roger

It can be found in the resource guide, which has been down for the last 2 day's. If you search the forum using (Hayes Brake Controller Air Line Connection).

Bob&Kay

If the tap for the air is made in the Stop Light switch air circuit, then the trailer electric brakes will be activated by either the Service Brakes (foot pedal) or the Trailer Brakes (lever). Use the information for the BrakeSmart/MaxBrake installations as the guidelines.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived