Best State Park in FL Keys?

AC7880

Of the 4 state parks in the FL Keys, does anyone have recommendation on best/worst for RV camping?

I have looked at RV Park Reviews already, but would like some SKP observations as well.

We are in a 38' motorhome no slides, with tow car. Mid August visit.

Dan - SKP club member

If you don't have reservations now at any of them. You may be too late for this year.

Or not have a choice of which one to use.

But they may be late cancels if a Hurricane is near.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We enjoyed Bahia Honda the most part and John Pennekamp taking boats, kayaks out for snorkelling from there as well. Once when Bahia Honda was full we were directed to the next nearest which was good for a few days as well. As a previous poster has said, your choice might be dictated by what's not already booked up!

My memory is not the best but it says to arrive just as the reservations for the day's no shows are being released. That gives you your best odds of getting a site without a reservation. The internet ate my blogs from that time so I can't tell you which we enjoyed most.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for all the advice. We plan to drive to Key West to the military campground on or around 15 August.

On the way we will try and stay at one of the state parks in the Keys along the way. I'll check on line reservation availability. I was thinking it's low season so it might work out. I'll check it out this week to see.

Dan - SKP club member

Until mid-November, NASKW is nearly empty, you'll get FHU at Sigsbee immediately. The drive from Larry and Penny Thompson county RV park (near Miami) to KW is about 4 hrs. Speed limit = 45mph. You could overnight at the USCG facility on Marathon island too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks RayIN and all others.

Even in low season (mid Aug) there are only openings at John Pennecamp and Curry Hammock state parks for a 2 night stay. (None at Bahia Honda that we would fit in).

I think we will re-evaluate and go directly to Sigsbee, and back track in the tow car to visit state parks.

We will stay at Midway campground near Big Cypress on Highway 41 on the way to the keys. We stayed there overnight back in 2010, and the drive to the keys is not bad from there. (176 miles). Midway: http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Dan - SKP club member

Archived