Sick of telemarketers and robocalls? The FCC is poised for a crackdown.

RV_

12 years ago we got the Do not call list. Now the telemarketers are posing a non profits and using spoofing techniques so we don't know where they come from. I am so glad to read the following.

Excerpt:

Under the new rules, which FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler proposed to his fellow commissioners Wednesday, you'll be allowed to opt out of telemarketing calls with as little as a verbal order not to call again. That might sound like an obvious step. But many who've been hit by unwanted calls can't find relief without filling out complicated forms or jumping through other hoops, said a senior FCC official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly.

Other steps are designed to thwart robocalls and automated dialing. One measure encourages phone carriers to adopt off-the-shelf products that can block robocalls automatically and offer them to consumers as a service. That proposal comes after phone companies and 39 attorneys general asked the FCC whether offering the technology was legal.

Another more clearly defines what auto-dialing technology is so that telemarketers can't squirm out of obeying the regulations. And if you switch your phone number, telemarketers will only be allowed to call your new number once — giving you the chance to tell them to buzz off.

The proposals could take effect as soon as June 18, when the FCC will vote on whether to approve them. If they pass, they'll represent the answer to nearly two dozen formal petitions for the FCC to act against telemarketers."

More here on the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/05/27/sick-of-telemarketers-and-robocalls-the-fcc-is-poised-for-a-crackdown/?wpisrc=nl_tech&wpmm=1

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Now that's funny ry, I don't care who you are.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks, Derek. I'll believe it when I see it working... I recall the announcement of the original 'do not call' list. The FCC could take care of this, but I do not believe they are sincere. The cell phone spammers will do just as the email spammers do... change the origination of the call... and declare it a 'new call'

Unless I know the caller, I do not answer the call. I will call back after they hang up... in the rare instance that they are legitimate.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I hung up on a robo call a while back without listening. Turns out it was my doctor's office reminding me of an appointment. I missed it. I have also received a robo call from my pharmacy (telling me something I hung up again). I even get them on my phone in Spanish. Add me to the "I hate them list".

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I can't tell you why but I can not remember the last time we got a robo call that was a solicitation.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I listen to the end of the robo calls as there is usually an option to be deleted from their calling list. It works too, as mine as almost non existent.

I love to play with the live callers, I feign deafness and have them repeating themselves over and over, yelling at the tops of their voices. I let them get to the end of their script and ask them to repeat it. After a couple of times (If they didn't hang up yet) I then ask for their name and employee number for my report to the FCC about their violation of my No Call List rights. That usually gets them, although a few get ticked off and want to argue, then I just laugh in their faces.

My one great thrill was an Indian sales person that I jerked around for about 20 minutes then I demanded somebody who spoke better English (They hate that because they get downgraded for poor English). After getting transferred several times I started the deaf/speak up routine and the poor guy on the other end completely lost it, told me to go "F" myself and hung up on me. I'm guessing his review won't be favorable when they review the tapes!

I honestly quite like sales calls!!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I feel it is my civic duty to keep a telemarketer on the line as long as possible, not only do I cut his paycheck possibly causing him to seek honest work but I can also prevent him form disturbing several neighbors by keeping him on the line until his shift is over.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived