2016 Volvo 780 was born

whatsnext

On May 4th, we were fortunate to arrange a factory tour and Volvo timed it so our "baby" rolled off the line that same day. It's not completed yet as they have a few details to finish including the paint color.

Long story short: There was a mix-up with the custom paint color code and our truck was painted the wrong color!!!! We were heartbroken when we saw it come off the line and in the "landing zone" and it was the wrong color. Volvo will re-paint and make it right.

Tour was great and we met some great people who want to know more about the RV industry. Volvo can do a lot in the factory and I was surprised at the flexibility (not 100% flexible since it is a production line).

In the coming weeks, I'd like to start putting together an RV wish list for a Volvo. They are interested in our "culture".

Except for the paint, the truck was beautiful and everyone was very gracious, informative and genuinely happy to see us.

(LOL...that may change once they get to know me!!!)

Pictures will be forthcoming once it's delivered to the dealer.

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Where is the Volvo factory?

It is in the New River Valley area in Dublin, Va. The factory is 1.2 million sq ft and sits just off I-81. A beautiful 730 sits on the hill just under their sign.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

On May 4th, we were fortunate to arrange a factory tour and Volvo timed it so our "baby" rolled off the line that same day. It's not completed yet as they have a few details to finish including the paint color.

Long story short: There was a mix-up with the custom paint color code and our truck was painted the wrong color!!!! We were heartbroken when we saw it come off the line and in the "landing zone" and it was the wrong color. Volvo will re-paint and make it right.

Tour was great and we met some great people who want to know more about the RV industry. Volvo can do a lot in the factory and I was surprised at the flexibility (not 100% flexible since it is a production line).

In the coming weeks, I'd like to start putting together an RV wish list for a Volvo. They are interested in our "culture".

Except for the paint, the truck was beautiful and everyone was very gracious, informative and genuinely happy to see us.

(LOL...that may change once they get to know me!!!)

Pictures will be forthcoming once it's delivered to the dealer.

David

How did you go about setting up tour ?? Can you share a contact that I can call. I'm in the area and might make time to go visit.

Thanks

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

If Volvo is anything like John Deere or Case -New Holland, ALL( :rolleyes: ) you have to do is buy a NEW Truck/Combine/Tractor. A free VIP factory tour is included to let you see your new unit roll off the line. They often let you start it for the first time too! B) I got to go along on one (not my combine- :( ) and it was pretty cool. Its a nice way to involve the "payer". With the cost of a new combine in the 3/4 M $ range, they darn well need to do something!

Factory tours are also just available, usually--I don't know about the trucks...call Volvo and ask.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

How did you go about setting up tour ?? Can you share a contact that I can call. I'm in the area and might make time to go visit.

Thanks

JC

Hi JC-

Normally, factory tours are with a dealer but we got a special exemption. Let me contact the individual who I spoke with and see what's possible. They don't offer tours as a normal daily activity but they will set them up depending on the circumstances.

I'll send you an email.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

If they are interested in the RV culture, how about having the next East Coast Rally at their facility, Volvo RV's galore might inspire something? then everybody who goes gets the a-tour.

That would be cool...especially for someone wanting to get into the HDT market.

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 (2002 & 2007 model years)... And one dog!

** currently w/out RV 😞

US Army - Logistician with 30-years of service

Texas -- not just a State, but a State of mind!

• 1 month later...

Are you at liberty to explain how the paint color mix-up occurred? Were you able to specify the brand of paint?

The final result was that the factory had input the incorrect color code. The dealer and the DuPont Imron rep confirmed that it was the factory error. It resulted because we requested a custom color which Volvo had never used before (it matched our DRV main color) and on the the order sheet the color name/shade is not specified, only the color code.

The truck is being re-painted at their cost and we pick it up this week.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Archived