Packing

SWharton

I am concerned about flying missiles in case of a sudden stop in a Class A.

Do you put everything away every day into a cabinet? I am thinking the coffee maker, toaster oven, books, printer etc.

In our 5th wheel this wasn't much of a concern as everything stayed in its place and if we ever had a sudden stop we were in the toter.

Our policy is that most things have a place to be stowed. Since we don't use the printer a lot, it has a spot in a cupboard. Toaster, coffee pot etc get stowed as well. Fruit basket rides on the couch. I just don't want to be distracted by hearing something fall or slide.

Even in our 5thwheel everything was stowed.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Same here. Nothing has ever been tossed around while traveling but we do put most things away for safety. You just never know what might happen. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We're not knickknack collectors so we kept very little on our counters. However, we did leave our computer on our built-in desk and the freestanding monitor was held tight with 'earthquake' straps. It never moved. I think you can buy them at an office supplies place. I don't recall where we got them. The printer had a dedicated permanent space in the desk itself.

We did have a small table lamp that was held in place with a poster putty-type of material. It never moved. Other than that, everything was stowed or set on the floor under the table.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Do you put everything away every day into a cabinet? I am thinking the coffee maker, toaster oven, books, printer etc.

We did put away anything that was not fastened down solidly. We did once forget the carafe of our under cabinet coffee maker and an emergency stop caused it to fly and land in the stairwell in many pieces. Learned a lesson from that one. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We pack things away in a manner that will protect us in small to medium 'shakups'... at least, so we think. Until we actually have an accident, we will not know for sure just how effective our packing really is. The major counter-top items do get put away... but my printer gets placed on a bench of the dinnette, and the desktop computer gets placed under the dinette table between the two benches, We keep the motor home dash area clean of all items.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Not sure how I would handle not saying "What the heck was that?" each time I leave a park.

Silicon baking sheets are our friend for non skid. A wicker basket under the dining table for the other stuff and knowing we are always going to forget something in the shower or bathroom that will go thump as it slides off a shelf.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

I suppose that part of the question is, how sudden? Really hard braking is different from what happens if you should be in an accident. As much as I prefer travel in a motorhome, there is a greater risk in doing so because of the things which move about if you should have a major accident. It is one of the risks that each of us should consider. You would be very wise to at least consider just what might join you in the driving area if you should lock the brake at highway speed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived