Emergency Tire Plugging Kit

ICPete

During the roundtable session the last day of the ECR, the topic was raised about on-the-road tire repair using a plugging kit.

Here is the system I have that I carry on my motorcycle:

http://www.stopngo.com/standard-model-tire-plugger/

I've used it once when I had a flat in the rear tire, and it worked well. It does not require removing the tire from the rim.

Several hundred miles after fixing my moto flat, I replaced the tire, as plugged holes are not considered safe when your vehicle only has two tires in the first place!

But for emergency repairs it's a pretty good tool.

Pete

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Hey Pete,

That looks like a pretty slick tool to have. Good for on the road or for off road use.

Thanks for sharing,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I use a similar kit. Fixed many Jeep tires with it...but never an HDT one (yet). They work well, and can be a real life-saver. Especially in combination with a tire monitor system where you know you have an issue BEFORE you run it totally flat. Most of us do not carry a bead seater :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I was mounting tractor tires a few months back and little brother was helping. The sidewalls were pulled in about 4", making it VERY difficult to inflate the tires. He practically went ballistic when I refused to use the ether method.

Instead, I packed the bead area with Murphy's tire mounting soap and inflated them. Until you see it, you wouldn't believe how well it works, and safely.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

With a HDT tire I think you will have to ream the hole out before inserting the plug. Back in the late 70s I had a tire repair business and remembering steel belted radials were just getting popular and I broke many a plugs while inserting them and that was after reaming out the hole. I would think you could use a drill and bit to ream the hole in place of a reamer.

I had seated many a tire with tire soap and I also had what was called a jet ring. A ring that set on top of the tire with holes all around it and attached to a 1" air line from compressor. Now a days they use what looks like a 2 gallon air tank with a 2' nozzle on it and charge it from the air compressor and direct it at the gap between the tire and rim and blast air into it to seat it.

I also have used starting fluid as last resort, but didn't like to.

Oh, this also brings back memories also of the old split rims, I don't miss it..

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I am with Mark on this one. I wouldn't consider any repair on a tire in the field. If one of the duals is flat, drive slowly to the nearest repair shop or if needed have them come to you. Rarely have I had a tire leak so badly I couldn't air it up and drive it. If it is leaking and damaged that badly you are going to replace it anyway.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived