I think I need a steering stabilizer?

Wife and I picked up the new Class A MH (Thor Hurricane) in Texas on Friday and drove it home

to Colorado. MH has big sway bars front and back but it does wander a bit like my old 2004

Ford 350 4x4 4 door long bed.

Would a steering stabilizer help??

Open to suggestions and opinions.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

We had a Safe-T-Plus installed on our Monaco Monarch .

I use to have to make almost constant corrections . Now , much more comfortable .

Definitely worthwhile .

One of the features of the Safe-T-Plus is the self centering .

Safe T Plus reduces the “over-steering” effect caused by side winds, passing semi-trucks, and road ruts.

Goes around , comes around .

The very first thing to do is to get the loaded RV weighed and adjust your tire pressures per the tire manufacturers load/pressure chart. Adjust your load as needed to get the axle loads within manufacturers ratings.

The final thing to do is find a good truck suspension/front end shop and have the front end alignment set with the RV loaded for normal travel.

Many of gas class A and C RVs have the fresh water tank located behind the rear axle. Traveling with much fresh water will cause the front end to be light and will have a negative effect on the steering. If the water tank was full, try lowering the water level and only carry about 20 gallons or so until you are closer to your destination.

Another thing to check is your shock absorbers. I would recommend upgrading to a good heavy duty shock.

Check this before you start adding add-on patches and crutches which only mask the real problem rather than cure it.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

With regard to the F53 chassis - at least on the lighter versions, besides better shocks and a "steer safe" type device rear trac bar seems to do the trick for handling issues. It does depend on the wheelbase and motorhome-specific stuff what you need, though.

On the 18K F53 chassis I'm going to buy (with Winnebago Vista 27N) I'm anticipating putting on a Steer-Safe or SafTPlus, better shocks and a rear trac bar. I'll do it one at a time, though, as I think they are needed. After getting a "loaded" alignment done and truing the front tires (at least). I can tell you from my big truck experience that truing and alignment makes a huge difference in driver workload. To me, these are all required safety items (as needed). You do NOT want any "marginal handling" situations. IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We had a Safe-T-Plus installed on our Monaco Monarch .

I use to have to make almost constant corrections . Now , much more comfortable .

Definitely worthwhile .

One of the features of the Safe-T-Plus is the self centering .

Just to clarify :

I reset both front and rear sway bars to the stiffer position on our F53 chasis and had a loaded alignment done prior to having the safe-t-plus installed .

We normally carry only about 10 - 15 gallons of fresh water and little or no waste .

Goes around , comes around .

Archived