Volvo Roll Stiffness

Mastercraft

A while back I had started a thread whining about the side to side motion in the Volvo. Thought it needed a sway bar. Well, after new shocks all the way around, the side to side motion going down the road is gone. New front shocks didn't reduce the sway. On the rear, new adjustable Gabriel’s set to the center of three stiffness settings did the trick.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Shocks are one item I have on my list to replace during a truck "build-up". Or a body build. They are cheap, and as you have found can make a difference. Not everyone will agree with replacing what could be a "good" part. But even checking them for "good" involves as much labor as replacing them (IMO), so you might as well.

Thanks for the update!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Oh - these shocks were most likely the originals. When I finally got one out, it was pretty limp. All four lower bolts were rust welded to the bushing inside the rubber on the shock. Naturally, without taking the tires off, you could only get on the bolt with the impact and only with an 8" extension that winds up a bit. And the impact did nothing as the rubber just wound up, absorbing all the energy the impact could provide. Not enough room to use a gas axe or cutoff wheel, so a pipe on the breaker bar was used to destroy a Craftsman 1/2" drive socket.

The process that broke the rust weld involved an air hammer with a very dull chisel installed.....hammered on the shock bushing as close to the rubber as I could get. When a cloud of rust dust blew out the end, the bolt was free.

A lot of rolling around under the truck and a whole bunch of comments about things in general during this process. :angry:

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

A lot of rolling around under the truck and a whole bunch of comments about things in general during this process. :angry:

Yes...I've had the pleasure.But the next time will be easy..... ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It may be because I have a heavier front axle (14,600lb), but mine has a sway bar--without measuring, I'd guess it's at least an inch and a half in diameter. Even before I replaced my shocks, body roll was never an issue. I wonder if it would be possible to retrofit it to the lighter front axle--maybe I'll have to look and see if I can see any part numbers.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived