Reasonable lifespan of a Wilson Sleek

I doubt that whether you use it for 5 gig or 30 gig has anything to do with its expected life span. But according to Wilson, how long you leave it plugged in, may have an effect.

I've had 4 of them (two at a time; 1 for houses and 1 for RV's), one lasted a yr, one fried in 4 months and two still going after 2 yrs.

when I called Wilson support about the one that only lasted 4 months, they told me they had a batch of boards prone to overheating, and they didn't recommend leaving these units plugged in 24/7. mine never get unplugged or turned off

these were all the older 4G-V model, not the current new model

GR 'Scott' Cundiff, on 17 Feb 2015 - 4:46 PM, said:

What do you think is the reasonable lifespan of a Wilson Sleek (4G-Verizon model) for fulltimers who use it for around 15 gigs a month?

I'm wondering what life expectancy one can expect using (abusing) one like that.

Jim

If you leave it on all the time, the amount of GB isn't going to have much effect on the life. Since I use the amplifier & hotspot in the trailer to provide the internet while driving, mine is on pretty much 24/7. In my case, I've replaced them because of changes in technology (going from 3G to 4G or changing cell providers) rather than because of failure of the device.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

• 8 months later...

I finally figured out why I was becoming more and more concerned about the lifespan of my sleek. The coax connector wasn't making a good connect with the coax ground. I soldered it and the sleek is acting more like it did when it was new.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I've replaced them because of changes in technology rather than because of failure of the device.

X2. I think the longest I've run a single unit was around 3 years, but I've never had one fail on me. Then again.. mine only runs, on average, maybe 2-3 hours a day.

Our Weboost 4G-S, runs so hot that it will burn you if you hold it in the wrong location too long. We've had vinyl burned by it. I was going to call and ask them if this was maybe a defective unit, until I read Technomadia's tip about placing some insulation between the amp and your phone or mifi - figured they must un hot.

Heat is the enemy of electronics, so I doubt the newer units will have much of a lifespan...

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Our Weboost 4G-S, runs so hot that it will burn you if you hold it in the wrong location too long. We've had vinyl burned by it. I was going to call and ask them if this was maybe a defective unit, until I read Technomadia's tip about placing some insulation between the amp and your phone or mifi - figured they must un hot.

Heat is the enemy of electronics, so I doubt the newer units will have much of a lifespan...

Best to all,

Smitty

Exactly - mount some sort of cooling device to keep the temperature down. The Wilson/WeBoost products use hardware driven amplification which can cause extreme heat and damage the components in the amplifier. Software driven amplifiers should not generate heat unless there is a problem.

I am actually in the hospital. Have been all week ( having 3rd surgery in a week Monday) . My partner is on everything . The last piece ( The cases ) is coming together and production should start in roughly a week. Please spread the word everything is going good . Except for my health!

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Archived