Surface Pro 2?

DJW

In our Newegg Flash e-mail this morning they have Refurbished Microsoft Surface Pro 2's 32GB, SD slot plus and all the usually stuff, USB 3.0, GPS,BT 4.0 etc. plus MS Office 2013 RT. Looking to move Linda off her iPad. Would this be a good choice? Is there much difference from Surface Pro 3? The Price is $249.00

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

I just got home and checked. That is not a Surface Pro, read it again, it is a Surface 2. That is the all but dropped MS Windows RT which is not Windows 8.1 like the Surface Pro is. Surface or Surface 2 are RT tablet only OS' that can't load Windows x86 or laptop and desktop Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 or 8/8.1 programs. Surface Pro are Windows 8.1 tablets.

Do not invest in the RT as support will likely drop pretty soon. Do look for Surface Pro not Surface for first generation. Do look for Surface Pro 2 not Surface 2 for second generation. Do look for Surface Pro 3 as I don't think they did a Surface 3.

Read the ad again:

"Stay productive, or entertained with a tablet that easily switches between a workhorse and a plaything. The Microsoft Surface 2 is powered by quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 4 processor, and pre-installed with Windows RT 8.1 plus touch-optimized Office 2013 RT, to handle your everyday tasks with speed and ease."

Got it?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

YW Dennis,

Hey I owned one of the first generation surface RT tablets and it would have been fine if they had Outlook or were compatible with IMAP and POP 3 email accounts when they first came out. They debuted in October 2012, and when they started getting all the bad feedback, they promised a fix and they did but it took until August 2013, ten months.

There is really nothing wrong with them, and I'd take one over an Android or Apple tablet. See that is what they were going to compete against, the cell phone processor tablets. With the Surface you get great build quality, and they will do everything Android and iPads will, but with fewer Apps, but that is changing. There are sure more Windows Apps than I could ever try in one lifetime.

TigerDirect has the Asus like Jack has, 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM, but this one has the Atom 3795 SoC! $299.99! And that is new with a one year warranty, not a refurb, AND is a full Windows 8.1 computer in a tablet with a keyboard!http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9164838&csid=_61v

Buy that if you are tablet shopping today.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The Asus that Derek references above is wonderful as a tablet replacement. I have a bunch of tablets. And a Phablet (Note 3). The tablets are: Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro, Galaxy Tab 10", and the T100 that Derek referenced. I also have an iPad mini. For tablet use - serious consumption use - the T100 reigns supreme. It has a usable keyboard, is full W8.1 touch, comes with full Office, has all the regular desktop apps for doing anything, and has the Windows apps that are essentially the same as most of the Android apps. Not "quite" the same, but very close.

To replace an iPad I'd choose either the T100-class machine, which may prove a little large, or the 8.4 Pro. Frankly, for casual consumption the 8.4 seems to be the right form factor. For serious consumption mixed with production the 10" is better. And 11" would be even better. It is all about the tradeoffs.

The only time I'd choose the iPad over any of the ones above is for someone that has very limited computer ability. The iPad is simpler to understand than Android or Windows 8.1 for people that know little about computers. But once beyond very basics the others offer more capabilities. And the 8.4 Pro stomps the Retina display. That is my personal opinion, but others love the iPad and would only choose an Apple device. That actually makes sense if you are an Apple household, since all the stuff works pretty seamlessly within the Apple "family".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks RV and Jack. I don't know what we are paying you guys for a retainer fee but it's not enough for all the help you guys provide for the computer/software thread.

Dennis

PS: I know you guys do not get paid but it would be worth it for all the help you provide.

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis my pleasure. I appreciate you saying you feel that way!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I really like that Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro but it still give me a bit of sticker shock. Maybe when the next couple of generations of tablets come out, the price will come down just a bit. Or there'll be just a bit cheaper option that's good.

What people are paying for a Tab 8.4 Pro is about what was paid for the laptop I'm using right now.

Maybe one of these days...

:)

I really like that Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro but it still give me a bit of sticker shock. Maybe when the next couple of generations of tablets come out, the price will come down just a bit. Or there'll be just a bit cheaper option that's good.

What people are paying for a Tab 8.4 Pro is about what was paid for the laptop I'm using right now.

Maybe one of these days...

:)

Well, it is cheaper than an iPad..... But it is pricy compared to some other Android competitors. If you don't care about the superb screen, then there are cheaper alternatives - even in the Samsung family.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack, you have used a lot of tablets so maybe you'll have an opinion.

Do you find the high resolution tablet screens to be easier on the eyes than lower resolution screens?

I ask because I do experience a fair amount of eye strain on my smartphone (RAZR M) which is definitely not a high resolution screen.

I do tend to spend a lot of time on a device of some kind, usually laptop but I like the feel of android.

Whatcha think?

If you experience eye fatigue then you are going to want all the resolution you can get - up to a point. I do find that the higher resolution 8.4 Pro is noticeably better than the tab 10.1 (not as high a resolution). It is going to depend on the individual to some extent, but I do notice the difference.

The main thing I would advise is if you are using a tablet for strictly reading - don't. Use a Kindle with eink. There is a WORLD of difference if strictly spending hours reading books, etc. My Kindle Paperwhite is noticeably easier on my eyes if I am reading a book or something like that. Way better - for ME - than even the 8.4.

How does the 8.4 compare to an iPad Retina? About the same, in my experience, even though the 8.4 has a better screen. Both are superb for computing functions. Especially picture viewing. But for long term reading the Paperwhite is still better than both.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The higher resolution screen is well worth it in my opinion, much easier on the eyes. I'm not sure just why but I find my eyes getting tired much sooner on a low resolution screen than on a higher one.

I'd grab a Kindle in a minute if they had the new high resolution screens in the larger size like the old DX but a six inch one is just too small for me to see as much of the book as I often need to. I read a lot of technical stuff so that may not be an issue for you. A visit to a Staples that stocks a lot of Kindle types and has a display of working ones to try out is well worth the trip. Check for their sales and you might even be happy to buy one there.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks for the added confirmation on resolution, Stan.

I wish I were in a better position to go out looking but there are a couple of reasons I can't do much of that right now the biggest of which is that I'm not able to physically get around all that well yet. I'm pretty limited in how far I can go or how much I can stand and though not exactly house bound, not too far from it. I'm healing. New bones are growing. It's just taking lots of time. (Plus, trying to get over a cold of some kind I think I picked up at the doctors office last week (sigh). It's always somethin' to add insult to injury...

I'll have to put Staples on my list of favorites and keep an eye out. Sometimes, their sale prices are pretty good.

Amazon had an offer for a Kindle test drive, buy it and try it for 30 days, even if you don't keep it it will give you 30 days to heal.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I15SB16/ref=topnav_storetab_kstore (bubble link at right below prices)

Returning Kindle E-Reader, Fire Tablet and Amazon Fire TV Devices and Accessories

You can return any Kindle e-reader, Fire tablet or Amazon Fire TV devices or accessories you purchased directly from Amazon.com for a full refund within 30 days of the day you received it as long as it's in new condition and the return is in accordance with our return policy.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I agree,

The IPS screen on my last year's model Dell Venue 11 is full 1925X1080 andis much better. the new ones from late 2014 are amazing.

My desktop is Quad HD, 2560X1440. Makes all the difference. My Windows Lumia 822 Phone is an OLED screen which knocked me over with the color detail and accuracy.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

When it is time and MS Windows 10 is up and running I would like your opinion on which Windows 10 phone to go with. We will make the jump from our flip phones to a Windows 10 smart phones. We have been on Verizon for years and would like to stay with them. Just saying when it is time let me know please.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis, I'm in pretty much in the same boat as you - I'm waiting for a rational W phone to come along. For me "rational" is all about size, first. And they just have not been marketing higher end phones (which tend to be the large ones). So for now I'm on the Note line. Which is pretty hard to critique, to be honest. (Well other than some Samsung apps that are less than helpful - but honestly, most of the Sammie apps are beneficial)

www.jackdanmayer.com

Dennis,

my experience is limited to one Lumia 822 Windows phone. Jack does high end on his phones and I go low except with this Windows Phone, which was a middle to high end phone in mid 2013, two years ago. I'll be happy to share opinions though. I may go for a new phone then too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived