Diesel RV Mechanic, Phoenix area

peggyunderhill

We are hoping to purchase an Rv next week. It's on a Freightliner chassis. It seems to be in great shape, but as its a 2003 we think it would be prudent to have it checked out before parting with any cash. Can anyone recommend a mechanic/RV tech in the Tempe, AZ area.? Thanks in advance.

Dennis & Peggy Underhill

Las Vegas, NV

32' Rexhall Aerbus Widebody

When checking a model 2003 remember that hoses and belts may need replacing even if they look good. Any recalls on the model? Enjoy your new purchase.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

We took the RV to get the chassis checked over prior tp purchase. Freightliner found turbo problems resulting in an $8000 repair bill. The sellers will get it fixed but want to add the entire cost to our previously agreed sale price. We offered to contribute some, but don't feel that we should bear the entire cost. Has anyone else come across a situation like this.

Dennis & Peggy Underhill

Las Vegas, NV

Walk away.......you should not have to pay for it. There are lots of MHs for sale.

The whole idea of getting an inspection is to avoid running into these kinds of problems. It worked , be thankful and move on.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Thanks for your input, guys. This pretty much confirms our feelings. Now, does anyone know of an Itasca Horizon 34hd for sale. We've searched the net but the shorter length aren't easy to find. Lots of 40 footers but we don't need that big.

Dennis & Peggy Underhill

Las Vegas, NV

If you really like the rig, tell them how sorry you are that you couldn't make the deal and leave them your contact info if they decide to come back down to the original offer. It can't hurt and you might get a call before you find something else.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Were you (seller & buyer) were both happy with the original deal?

Now, neither of you are happy?

Would it be acceptable to you to split the cost of repairs (re: upgrades) with the seller?

After all, you would be getting something that no other comparable deal offers.

Bear in mind, if sold at the original offer, that the seller just effectively lowered the price of the RV by $8000 dollars in his mind.

And you would be getting a significant upgrade (plus warranty on the turbos?).

Personally, I would try to negotiate this one to death in the nicest possible manner if it were something that I really wanted.

But as others have stated, there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

$8K in repair costs due to a turbo problem would indicate more problems than just the turbo. And how would the seller not know that? Only if he hadn't been doing yearly maintenance or hadn't had it looked at before putting it up for sale. For me, that would be red flags flying all over the place.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

When the internal seals in our turbo leaked oil into the cooling system, the total repair cost was around $7000, but we have a side radiator. With a rear radiator, there is more labor cost, since more parts need to be removed to get to the engine. The radiator, charge air cooler, transmission cooler, etc., had to be removed and flushed clean in addition to replacing the turbo, hoses and clamps. You do not want oil in the cooling system for many reasons, but it can also cause a runaway engine.

Believe it or not, there were no engine check lights that showed a turbo problem, just some black smoke from the exhaust. A turbo failing is probably not a maintenance issue.

I still don't like the seller's attitude, he is doing the equivalent of shooting the messenger.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for all your input. We still like this coach. It's in very good overall condition and has had regular servicing. We don't think the seller knew about the turbo problem prior to the inspection. I believe it has a rear radiator, hence the high labor costs. Everything to do with the turbo issue will be fixed. Belts and hoses will be replaced plus a couple of more minor repairs such as hazard lights, etc. The bonus for us would be peace of mind knowing that everything is in good and safe condition. So, we haven't given up just yet. He has our bottom line. We're just thankful that we had the sense to get an inspection.

Dennis & Peggy Underhill

Las Vegas, NV

If the MH owner had regular service, was it inspected at his servicer? A second opinion might be worthwhile. I have read of people shutting off a hot diesel that did not get an idle cool down and that can ruin the seals in the turbo. Cummins says 5 minutes of light or no load before shutoff. They also state that by the time you get off an interstate and get up to the pumps or what ever the engine is likely cooled enough to shut off. How about climbing up a grade and then there is a scenic overlook pull off. That could toast the turbo if you did not let it idle before shut down. All that being said was there any indication of a faulty turbo? Smoke poor performanc etc. I guess the bad seals can cause oil usage and it just burns up.

Sounds like new hoses and belts + more might be worth some dough. The important thing to remember is deals are like buses if you miss this one another will be along in 5 minutes. I just bought a coach with 10,000 miles on the clock and there was an older coach with 9,000 miles on it at Total Value Rv in Elkhart, In. Saw one in FMC Magazine that had 12,000 NS no pets so there are lots of clean coaches out there. You are right there are a lot more 40 footer but you might want to google short coach handling problems. i like my 37 foot floor plan a lot. Look at the weight of the short DP as opposed to a longer coach. About 800# for some I looked at. Econmy wise some 40' coach get the same mpg as shorter ones. So lots to think about. I would not pay more for a short DP but they do seem to draw better prices.

Archived