Paint and Graphics

smithfamily

Can anyone recommend a good paint shop / graphics applicator for an HDT? We are looking to have some custom paint work done on our VNL630 in the AZ or CA area.

Matt, Kristi and Stanten

-------------------------------------------------

2006 Volvo 630

2015 DRV Elite Suites Manhattan

You may want to take a trip to IN to have this done. There are a lot of shops in the Elkhart/Goshen area that specialize in painting large RV's and trucks and know exactly what they are doing.

IIRC, Precision Painting in Bremen, IN has done a number of HDT's. You should check costs---would it pay for a trip East or not?

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I'm getting ready to repaint and I'm going to paint white and then buy decals from the trailer (jayco) and apply them to truck, it is much cheaper to do it this way, although maybe not as good of a job as paint.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

What is the life expectancy of a wrap?

The exposure to sun light will have a huge effect on the life expectancy. I am in the Dallas area and I was told to expect 2 to 3 years on average from a wrap. I have a trailer that we use for trade shows that was wrapped back in 2007. Still looks great but it is stored in a garage when not on the road. On average it is not garaged about 60 days/nights out of the year.

Vinyl wraps are also soft. Does not take much to create a rip or tear in them.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Cost will depend on how much of the truck you wrap and if the company wants the job or not. That can be from $500 for a partial wrap with very little graphics to around $1,500 for a nice, custom wrap that will cover a good portion of the truck. I have a buddy that is a Snap-on dealer with a Ford Transit that is wrapped and it still looks nice after 3 years but his is garaged.

Vinyl is soft, yes, but I don't plan on hitting it with sandpaper either....Normal use and being hit with twigs, bugs and the like will not hurt it. With us garaging the truck some of the year, it should last at least 4 years and that is about the time we will be looking for another fiver. Much cheaper to stick on some vinyl than to do another repaint to match the new trailer when that happens...

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 1 month later...

We have lookedat wraps while in AZ and now in San Diego and there are some additional issues to consider. Price as about 20% higher for a full truck wrap in Phoenix as it it is in San Diego. Wrap companies in AZX also do not appear to warranty the film. In CA, the 3M film is warrantied fro 3 years on vertical surfaces, and 2 years on horizontal surfaces. Current price for a full wrap in CA is looking to be about $6k.

Matt, Kristi and Stanten

-------------------------------------------------

2006 Volvo 630

2015 DRV Elite Suites Manhattan

• 2 months later...

I'm getting ready to repaint and I'm going to paint white and then buy decals from the trailer (jayco) and apply them to truck, it is much cheaper to do it this way, although maybe not as good of a job as paint.

That sounds interesting Bob,

Do you plan to do the work yourself (painting and prep), or are you going to have someone do it for you?? What would the cost be to have a Truck repainted???

The Few

That sounds interesting Bob,

Do you plan to do the work yourself (painting and prep), or are you going to have someone do it for you?? What would the cost be to have a Truck repainted???

I'll give you my opinion and then everyone can chime in on all the exceptions and how they got it done for $300 and a case of beer... :)

A decent lower end (simple) truck paint job TODAY is going to run a minimum of $5K. But more likely the bottom end is $6K and the top end for a reasonable job is around 8-10K, depending on how many colors, graphics, paint type, how much clear, etc. Of course you can do a $30K job if you really go crazy.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

To put it in perspective, a complete repaint on a full size LDT is going to run you about 5k, so I would imagine Jack is correct. You can probably get a "cheap" job done, but they cut lots of corners on prepping and paint to get the price that cheap. If you do opt for the "cheap" way, I recommend that you NEVER use a power washer on the truck. The paint will usually come off in large pieces. And if you think it was expensive to get a quality job done the first time, it will be more after they have to remove the "cheap" job.

Just my .02

Chris

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Archived