new hitch installation question

defboater

Question on hitch installation.

Our truck is a 2011 Ford F350 6.7 diesel 4x4, standard bed, club cab. We are installing a hitch for a 2008 Carriage Cameo 32'.

When we take out the solid drop in bed liner would it be wise to put in a spray bed liner before the hitch is installed. The hitch will be a Reese sliding 5th wheel hitch.

Would it be wise to add a tonneau cover to protect the hitch.

Any insight appreciated.

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

My past experience, have the hitch installer drill any holes necessary then take the truck for the bed-liner before the rails are installed. This will seal the metal edge of the holes. Then install the hitch rails and if you want too, have the rails sprayed as well. That way the truck bed looks uniform. Having a tonneau cover helps keep roving eyes at bay in parking lots if you have enough clearance for it.

Have you considered one of the auto glide hitches? I used a Pullrite Superglide for 3 years with no issue. You never have to worry about getting out, pulling handles or pins, maneuvering, and then resetting the hitch for travel.

Demco makes an auto slider as well that's called the HitchHiker. Both are worth looking into.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If by standard you mean 8 foot you do not need a slider but if you only have a 6 foot 5 inches bed then you do need a slider. If you do need a slider I second the Pullrite Superslide hitch which will be below the bed rails. I have a flip cover on mine 2011 Ford and my hitch installer advised to remove when towing because it raised the front 1/3 of the bed rails by about 4 inches when folded up and that makes it easier to hit with the 5er when turning on uneven ground.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I had my pickup drilled for the hitch and then the liner sprayed in. I saw the warning on my hitch rails too but in talking to the hitch installer and the Rhino Liner folks I decided it was worth doing it that way. The caution I got was to let the bed cure for a few days before installing the rails and then to keep an eye on things and snug down the mounting bolts if I saw any movement. I never detected any movement and I was towing a fiver right at the weight limit for my F-250 diesel.

When I switched to an MDT the builder also sprayed the liner under the hitch, he used Arma Coat and there were no problems with that even after we moved to a 38 foot fiver.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I left my bed liner in place and made cut outs for the rails to be installed. I also have a tri-fold tonneau cover to keep the hitch and items out of the weather when not hooked up. I had to cut a round hole in the cover to allow access to the extra fuel tank in the truck bed though.

Greg

I have pretty much the same truck as yours, a 2011 F350 6.7L 4x4, except mine is a dually, with a club cab and an 8' bed.

I bought mine with the optional under-the-bed factory mounted rails, since I already had a Reese Signature hitch, but I just had the "puck" holes that were in the bed used to mount the hitch covered with rubber plugs, and had my bed sprayed with Line-X. Afterward, I just removed the plugs that covered the holes, and installed my hitch. That is the second truck I had, following that same procedure. So, in your case, I agree with what others have already said - just drill the mounting holes in your bed, and have the liner sprayed in. Mount your rails afterward.

I have a retractable metal bed cover - a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit model. Mine is a bit more pricey than tonneau covers, but they serve the same purpose, to provide some security for an unattended hitch, and more importantly, a bit of protection from the weather, in my opinion.

John

On our 2007 F350 we had the Ford dealer get the bed sprayed then the RV dealer drilled the holes and installed a 20K Reese hitch. Seven years full time and no problem. I considered a bed cover to protect the hitch but decided against it to make access to the hitch for towing and the in bed auxiliary fuel tank toolbox quick and easy. I do clean, grease and lube the hitch twice a year. I now have the same Reese in a 2014 F350. I have had no problems with it. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds as if you have a 6 3/4' short bed pickup truck. Unless your trailer has the curved and angled fiberglass front cap, you'll want a slider hitch.

My short wheel base F250 just has a fixed hitch since my new fifth wheel is of the newer design.

Archived