VOLVO FAIRINGS - HOW TO ADJUST?

Refuzn-To-Grow-Up

I know this is trivial, but the "wobbling" fairings (the ones with the entry steps on them) drive me nuts.

I have taken a look to see if there is some kind of adjustment that I can make to "tighten" them up. But, I cannot see any.

Does any one know how to take up the slack on these fairings? Or has anyone come up with some type of fix?

thanks,

Jim

Jim mine were loose too. I went to Volvo and got bushings that the handle pins fit in. They were only a couple of $. That didn't help so I went back and got new parts (pins, springs, etc.) for the handles. When I went to replace the parts I couldn't get the tiny set screws out without drilling so returned the parts I had picked up to Volvo and picked up the whole kit which was recommended to me in the first place. I still have to install them though. The miscellaneous parts I had picked for 2 handles were about $67C - the complete kits were about $260C for 4 kits.

Hope this helps!

2009 Volvo 670VLN

2012 Forrest River Cedar Creek 36RE

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

Jim

As Skgregg suggests If the play is in the locks replace with the complete kit as you will have to break them to get apart. Also I rotated the upper rubber mounts front to back and that tightened them up a lot. My mounts are getting loose again (but I am in and out 15 to 20 times a day) so I guess I will have to buy some from the dealer.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Based upon what you guys told me, I went out and took another look. This time "armed" with knowledge. :)

The pin that secures the fairing, at first glance, appeared to be tapered. Upon closer examination, it is not a taper (by design) but tapered by being rattled back and forth.

Looks like I will be buying complete kits.

I am still going to fabricate some type of "bumper" stop to keep the thing from beating itself to death.

Jim

Jim

Take a good look at the rubbers. I think they should be doing most of the work and the pins should carry very little of the load, of course I could be totally out to lunch.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Jim

Take a good look at the rubbers. I think they should be doing most of the work and the pins should carry very little of the load, of course I could be totally out to lunch.

Nigel

Will do and, I will replace them too. I am not sure if you saw my HDT at the Rally. I added a center step. This increased the weight of the fairing, by a few pounds, which probably exacerbates the "rattle and wear" effect.

• 8 months later...

Thanks everyone for your help.

I replaced every (and I mean every) part related to latching up of the fairing. Everything was worn or badly corroded (my Volvo came from snow country). I had to saw off the bolts that held the rubber bushing in place (on the truck). The set screw on the pin (on the fairing side) had to be cut off.

I reassembled the bolts and steel bushings (go inside the rubber bushings) with anti-seize compound to prevent them from corroding together again. The next owner will appreciate that, in about 500,000 miles, well after I am dead and buried. :)

The fairings now lock up with Z E R O play in them. Before the repair, I could move the fairings about 1/2 inch.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

The best route to go in rebuilding the fairing latches is to purchase the kit. One kit will repair one side. Part number 85109088

The kit contains:

20745996, Handle LH, Qty 1 ea

20745997, Handle RH, Qty 1 ea

20745991, Pin, Qty 2 ea (part number in kit is different from referenced part number when I purchased it)

20833044, Extension, Qty 1 ea (not sure if kit part number is LH or RH. Link is to RH, alternate part number 20519019 and 20727161)

20833045, Extension, Qty 1 ea (not sure if kit part number is LH or RH. Link is to LH, alternate part number 20519020)

20833046, Bushing, Qty 4 ea (part number in kit is different from referenced part number, kit bushings are brass)

990929, E-Circlip, Qty 2 ea

20546204, Set Screw, 2 ea (Did not find a link for the set screw)

For some reason the kit does not include new springs.

20836662, Spring

If there is too much movement in the fairing then the bushing is completely worn out and most likely the fairing attachment is also worn beyond repair - unless you have the resources to maybe weld it closed and redrill it.

20530283, Chassis Fairing Attachment

There are a couple of other parts on the truck as part of the fairing attachment but one or all of the above parts will correct most everyone's issues.

2005 Volvo 780 (Tiny), VED12 465, 12 Speed Freedomline, 3.21 Axle

ET Hitch, Jackalopee, MaxBrake

2006 Teton 39' Frontier Experience

2004 Smart Cabriolet (Smartypants)

Archived