Air hitch

mobilcastle

I don't want to start a hitch war here. I am presently using a B&W Companion hitch to pull my 16K Heartland 5ver. I also have a mor/ryde pin box. We are full time and I am thinking of changing to an air hitch. Most of the time our setup seems to be fine but when I hit some interstate concrete highways near big cities it is horrible. Those of you that have air hitches I would like to know if the air hitch will eliminate most of this. I am looking at the Hensley trail saver BD3. I am open to looking at others. I will need to use a drop in Curt adapter or pull the B&W under bed ball system and install some standard rails.Thanks for your info, Steve

We are pleased with our Trailer Saver TS3. Friends have the Trail Air TriGlide pinbox and like it.

I believe Trailer Saver has an adapter system to use with your B&W under mount bed hitch.

Our trailer has the Demco Gide pinbox and the Mor/Ryde IS suspension system. Yet we do have some road sections that are so rough, we still have to drop to 40 mph and turn on the flashers.

Our roads are in terrible shape and the goober-ment is not spending any money to properly repair or upgrade them due to wasted budget money.

We have found the secondary roads to be generally smother than the Interstate system. The Interstate roads within city limits are particularly bad.

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We got the Hitch Crafters 24k unit. They were the only ones that would make one to fit in the trough on my hauler bed. It uses the Hensely 32k head. Comes with air compressor and height sensor so I don't have to add or subtract air. You could use the 32k hitch. It is 20" wide. One they made for us is 17.5" wide. 12.5" high. Haven't towed yet. Sorry

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have a TS3 and I really like it. It has an onboard compressor and I mounted the control switch & gauge in the cab which enables me to control/adjust the hitch as needed. I am using it with the MR Pinbox & MR IS suspension and rarely get any chucking (only on really bad roads).

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

We too have the TrailerSaver air hitch and really like it and yes the trailer does ride better. But your impression of the ride in the truck will be the same, "this road is awful". The hitch you use will help the trailer ride better but does little or nothing for the ride in the truck IMO. So if you go to an air hitch don't be surprised is you can't tell much difference in the ride from the front seat of the truck. Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

I have used the Air Safe 25K hitch with the Binkley head for going on 7 years. I had to purchase a Reese adapter for the Ford system with the new truck or put in rails. The Air Safe has four air bags so it moves in all dimensions and ou can also adjust the hitch height. Agree with grumpydoc the hitch doesn't do much for the truck but even with the fillings in my teeth coming loose the fiver seems to do OK.

Chuck & Lola
WV
Retired USCG

2013 Ford F450/2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

Hey Gene, how much air do you use in your hitch, just doing some comparing?

Thanks,

BobQ

Bob, The TS3 has a 100# max PSI if I am not mistaken. I have to run 85 to 90 psi due to my pin weight (which I have been working to lower). There is a line on the TS hitches as an inflation guide. Mine takes about 80 to 85 psi to reach that line.

Gene

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

When it comes to the air ride hitches your pin weight is very important. Depending on the trailer the pin weight could be anywhere between 2000 lbs. and 8000 lbs., some less and some more. The point is regardless of which hitch brand you have getting higher than 85 psi or 85% of the bags capacity begins to diminish the effectiveness of the air ride hitch. Getting up into 85% or more inflation the bags begin to be just rubber isolators. This is one reason Trailer Saver offers the 3rd. bag up grade. I am on this edge with inflation to 75 psi. which brings me up to the white line set by TS. 3 rd. bag is on my bucket list. Having my rig weighed my pin weight is at 3500 lbs.

We try not to run the interstates, terrible. We run the national hyws. ie: 12, 14, 24, 36, etc., we do go north and south to. These highways provide much better roads and places to pull off or spend the night at.

HAPPY TRAILS & WE'LL WATCH FOR YA DOWN THE ROAD!

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

• 1 year later...

I have a Hensley BD3 ... Love the ride, but more importantly, my 5th wheel trailer's FRAME loves the decreased stress. There are several very good reasons to have a quality air ride hitch, but the health of your frame might be the most important.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

I tried a BD-3 to improve overall ride/handling of my '11 F350/'08 KS Challenger combo. I am experiencing chucking and a very harsh ride causing driver and passengers to be uncomfortable. My pin weight is about 2600#. The BD-3, although a very high quality hitch for sure, did not help even in combination with a Mor/Ryde RPB. I believe that the BD-3 would be more beneficial with pin weights above 3000#. Also I am wondering if the TS-3 model would be better at reducing chucking since any pushing or pulling between the trailer and the tow vehicle are transferred into vertical motion by the TS-3 and then handled by the TS-3 air bags. The BD-3 does not have this same design. I think that the air bag pin boxes (e.g. Fifth Airborne or Trailer Saver) may be more beneficial for pin weights under 3000# but I have not data to support my thinking other than what I have tried so far. I would like to hear others experience as well as any suggestions to address my current dilemma.

Good Luck.

For an alternative. Has a B&W adapter.

http://www.comfortridehitch.com/hi_model_245.html

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I tried a BD-3 to improve overall ride/handling of my '11 F350/'08 KS Challenger combo. I am experiencing chucking and a very harsh ride causing driver and passengers to be uncomfortable. My pin weight is about 2600#. The BD-3, although a very high quality hitch for sure, did not help even in combination with a Mor/Ryde RPB. I believe that the BD-3 would be more beneficial with pin weights above 3000#. Also I am wondering if the TS-3 model would be better at reducing chucking since any pushing or pulling between the trailer and the tow vehicle are transferred into vertical motion by the TS-3 and then handled by the TS-3 air bags. The BD-3 does not have this same design. I think that the air bag pin boxes (e.g. Fifth Airborne or Trailer Saver) may be more beneficial for pin weights under 3000# but I have not data to support my thinking other than what I have tried so far. I would like to hear others experience as well as any suggestions to address my current dilemma.

Good Luck.

Chucking is usually caused by too little pin weight ... the pin should be AT LEAST 20% of the total 5th wheel weight. Both the hitch and pin box you referenced are both premium products and either one, by itself, should greatly reduce chucking. Something else must be going on with your rig. Harshness is very subjective, so "bad" for one might be "acceptable" for another. How does your truck ride when not towing? When you hook up your 5th wheel, does the truck sag? If so (with no air bags) to level it out, you will have used up however many inches of rear suspension travel that you sag. This can cause the truck to hit the suspension rubber stops, which is very harsh. Other than these thoughts, I don't know what else you might try to make you experience better.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

If you are 85-90 lbs in your trailer saver hitch, you have no benefit of an air hitch. This is why I went to the ET Jr. Great replacement and never looked back. When my DW saw Henry pull into the rally and saw how his hitch just floated, she did not balk at the price.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived