somebody here has to have a travel trialer

telcoman

I switched to Mac's about two years ago, so I'm already used to all the ridicule about my foolish decisions that I'll regret.

We heard the same when we were fulltime for 11+ years with a gas class A with no slides. Now we are back to part-time once more due to Pam's health issues, but we just spent 5 months on the road with our 19' slide free travel trailer. We have had several people ask if we really expect to live for months in "that?" We had a great summer and not only do we not have a satellite dish, we had no TV at all most of the summer. We did have wifi and after a while Pam discovered that she could watch the favorite TV shows by going to the show's website and watching it on her laptop. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 35' TT - Rockwood 2013 and drive it all over the place...just takes a bit of planning. Not many women pulling one of these babies with a 2500 Sierra Diesel. I am a full-timer and love the space inside.

post-30234-0-78450200-1414707027_thumb.jpg

Full-timer with my 2 cats FlipperDoodle & Buster

Originally from Northern Calif. (native)

2013 - 35 ft. Rockwood TT

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

I haven't had a 5er...I have a 35' TT and don't have much problem backing up BUT it's much longer than a 5er so I would think a 5er would be easier. Mine is about 55' total with the truck.

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

Aside from the shorter length of a fiver the pivot point makes backing easier as does the ability to turn your truck a bit more than 90 degrees to either side of the fiver. If your truck is able to deal with the weight you can also move the fiver's hitch several feet behind the axle which greatly increases your turning ability and improves tracking when going forward so it is more similar to a TT in that respect.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We are TT'ers that pull with an HDT and love it! Pulling a TT let's us use the truck bed for hauling toys, motorcycles, bicycles, inflatable boat with engine, firepit, bbq, table and chairs, etc, etc. Heck it takes longer to pack the bed than to load up the trailer! Truck is 27ft trailer 34ft and with the maneuverability of the Century we can get into just about any space. We thought about the 5ver route, but my setup allows me to use the HDT as a big pickup. I can haul dirt or rock around the house or get wood from Lowes or Home Depot if needed. We have even discussed getting a larger TT, but at that time we think a DP will be better for us.

my 2 cents

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

• 1 month later...

TT owner here. I would like to go with a 5'er and a HDT but both TT and TV are paid for...so until we find a reason to upgrade and/or go full-time we are content with what we have.

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 (2002 & 2007 model years)... And one dog!

** currently w/out RV 😞

US Army - Logistician with 30-years of service

Texas -- not just a State, but a State of mind!

• 2 months later...

We have had 2 Silver Bullets (tin can) ok, Airsteams, 2 5th Wheel trailers, and are on the 3rd Motorhome. They are all good. I can park any of them. And, we don't have slides. We will survive.

Enjoy the scenery and go camping!! ;) YMWV

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

2011 Scamp 13' deluxe with front bath. can't find it right now for all the snow. easy to show to visitors. still making mods but will be on the road in a few weeks

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

Of the 851 RVs that just left the 2015 Escapade, it would be my guess that about 5% were travel trailers, possibly a bit more. We were there in one of those and a small one at that. It might be interesting to cruise the 2016 Escapade just to count how many travel trailers are there.... I do think that the travel trailer is much more common among the younger RVers. In fact, it just happens that the youngest member of the Escapee ownership family (Travis Carr) happens to be traveling in a travel trailer!

telcoman Most of what you say affects you now, affects almost RVers.

I am a single women (65 years young) and I pull a 35 ft Rockwood TT. My truck is a 2007 GMC Crew cab 2500HD and I love it (that make be about 55ft long on the road) with 3 slides. I guess it's all in what you get used to as I pull into regular gas stations (once I make sure I can). I take all the precautions to make sure I don't get caught in a tight situations but when I have I've managed to get out (even if I need to back up and go forward 20 times, lol).

I bought a TT because I couldn't afford a 5er or Class A (and I don't like the galley feeling of a Class A) and Class C's were not roomie enought since I am a fulltimer and it's my home (with my two cats) ...mostly it was about the cost. TT's a quite a bit cheaper new and used as are the repairs.

I think we should have different "topics" for the type of RV we have but only for the things that are unique to our RV type...otherwise we should stick to the general topics.

It's all about being happy!!

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

GV jeeper are you towing with gas or diesel?. I have to get a new truck and I am considering going to gas. The maintenance on a diesel is a killer. Plus they do not import diesel PU's into Mexico so getting them worked on down here is tough unless you have a dodge cummins

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

GV jeeper are you towing with gas or diesel?. I have to get a new truck and I am considering going to gas. The maintenance on a diesel is a killer. Plus they do not import diesel PU's into Mexico so getting them worked on down here is tough unless you have a dodge cummins

I'm Diesel and love it. DON'T GO WITH GAS as you won't be able to climb hills and mountains - well, you will but I'll be passing you in a heartbeat. I have had no mechanical problems with mine. And I love the 6 manual gears in the 2007 GMC....they can be used as a engine brake. Going down hill/mts I just go to "M" and then have 6 gears to down-shift the engine - rarely do I have to use my brakes. Also, I don't even feel like I'm towing it's so smooth and sweet.

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

Kirk - 5% doesn't surprise me. I always wonder why so few as I love mine. But I see very few at RV parks.

Well they all must be in Kingsland, GA. The park we are staying in has travel trailers in 19 of the 44 sites and none of them are up on blocks. According to the Manufacturer's organization statistics, travel trailers are consistently more than 50% of total RV production. However, the last Escapees survey showed that only 8% of those members that responded have travel trailers.

Well they all must be in Kingsland, GA. The park we are staying in has travel trailers in 19 of the 44 sites and none of them are up on blocks. According to the Manufacturer's organization statistics, travel trailers are consistently more than 50% of total RV production. However, the last Escapees survey showed that only 8% of those members that responded have travel trailers.

I didn't actually count the number of travel trailers, but doubt there were more than 5% of them in attendance, but it is only a guess. The survey that Escapees do periodically is one that goes to all membership and with Escapade this year in March and in the southwest, I'd suspect that the vast majority of those attending are also retired and I suspect that the younger members have a greater share of the travel trailer market. Based upon my recent shopping for our current RV, I don't think that you will find very many new RVs that cost less than $20K which are not travel trailers. Most really small/low cost RVs are either travel trailers, popups, or pickup campers with a few hybrids in the mix.

Going by memory alone (not very reliable :rolleyes: ) I only recall seeing one or two pickup campers at Escapade, one hybrid, and no popups, even though I know that some SKP members do own them. I believe that I did get a pretty good feel for the RV mix as I worked as a Security Assistant for the event and so traveled the campground areas pretty frequently.

Another factor in all of this is the age of the members. There is a new push just beginning at Escapees to reach out to the younger, still working RV owners to offer more to them in an effort to attract their interest. I believe that is a very good thing as we have been a slowly aging group ever since I became involved with the club.

Maybe more travel trailer folks don't spend time in RV 'parks' so are not counted in the survey? I'm on the hunt for my trailer (toy hauler travel trailer) and the ones I've found are certainly not less than $20k. Don't have toys to take along, but want the extra space and carrying capacity to suit my needs and wants.

I hear ya Donna,

I may choose one too, just to get the higher CCC, bigger tanks, on board genny and fuel, etc. for a rig more suitable for boondocking. I'm looking at the work and play models by Forest River, mainly because of their durable, one-piece aluminum roof. Here's a new model with a floorplan I really like: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=166&ModelID=1518#Main

At over 9,500lbs dry it's a little heavy for my 3/4 ton, and with a 1660lb unladen hitch weight I'd have to carry a lot of weight aft to reduce the hitch weight to the desired 10-11% range.

Chip

I hear ya Donna,

I may choose one too, just to get the higher CCC, bigger tanks, on board genny and fuel, etc. for a rig more suitable for boondocking. I'm looking at the work and play models by Forest River, mainly because of their durable, one-piece aluminum roof. Here's a new model with a floorplan I really like: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=166&ModelID=1518#Main

At over 9,500lbs dry it's a little heavy for my 3/4 ton, and with a 1660lb unladen hitch weight I'd have to carry a lot of weight aft to reduce the hitch weight to the desired 10-11% range.

Chip

My 35 ft. TT has 43 gal fresh water, 76 grey and 36 black water tanks. No generator in TTs but one fits nice in the bed (with shell) of the truck. Also, with a rig this big a weight distribution system on the hitch is a MUST - so you don't have to worry the distribution of the TTs weight. My GMC 2500 max is about 15,000. My TT GVWR is 8850 and I barely know it's there when pulling. Dry hitch is 830. That should give you something to go by. Like I said, the truck pulls it like it's not even there. Oh, also, by law you'll need a braking system in the truck for the TT's brakes (~$175 installed). Hope that helps.

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

Nice trailers...I've been looking at 27-30 ft. models. I have a Dodge diesel 3/4 ton and the weights seem to suit me better. Now I can go look with more focus. I've pulled horse/stock trailers, irrigation pipe trailers, etc and look forward to pulling my house!

• 2 weeks later...

Kirk, I was at the Escapade, and happened to be parked in a very conspicuous location (in Handicap along the road going into Pueblo Hall). Mine is a 1987 Airstream towed with a 1999 Dodge diesel. We travel from Ontario Canada to Arizona/New Mexico/California/Nevada every winter plus summer travel in Canada (approximately 15,000 miles each year). The 5.9 Cummins hauls me up all kinds of hills. The back of the truck is loaded with tools, generator and all the stuff my wife buys to "bring back home". I had the SmartWeigh done at the Escapade and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was completely within the weight specs for both the trailer and the truck.

Trailer = 1987 Airstream Excella 32'

Truck = 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Kirk, I was at the Escapade, and happened to be parked in a very conspicuous location (in Handicap along the road going into Pueblo Hall).

I believe that I remember the trailer. I was not that far from you but down in the staff area along Old Pueblo Hall, but on the other side of the main entry door where the two food wagons were parked. Ours was the white with red Sportsman travel trailer that was parked parallel next to a power pole about half way down to the far end of the hall from you.

• 3 months later...

Archived