Truck squatting: Air bags vs Timbren

I did as 57becky did with a 1/2" clearance unloaded on my 2012 Ram, it may be clearance is different for the type of truck. A friend had his reinstalled because of the hard ride and the 1/2" space made all the difference. ( again another Ram)

Al

• 3 weeks later...

thanks all. good info

2011 F350 Lariat, 6.7L, 3.73, CC, DRW, 8' Bed, Reese Elite 25K, TST 507
2011 Carri Lite 36XTRM5, MORryde IS/ Pin Box, Hydraulic Jacks/ Brakes, 17.5" Wheels/ G114 Tires

Solar 960 watts, (2) 50amp controllers, 3,000 watt hybrid inverter/charger, 830 AH batt bank

WiFi Ranger Elite Pack; weboost Drive 4G-X

• 9 months later...

I had the Timbren installed on the rear at a truck brake shop, all in, for $428. I feel the truck bumping on them a little at railroad tracks, etc.. But when towing, the ride is much improved. These corrected the small squat and the ride is more smooth. My experience with them has been positive.

2011 Carri Lite 36XTRM5, MORryde IS/ Pin Box, Hydraulic Jacks/ Brakes, 17.5" Wheels/ G114 Tires

Solar 960 watts, (2) 50amp controllers, 3,000 watt hybrid inverter/charger, 830 AH batt bank

I am pulling the Ride Rite bags off my truck and going to Timbrens. I have had both in the past and I prefer the Timbren ride over the air bags.

Anyone want the Ride Rite bags and brackets from an F350, 2012, CC dually. They can pick then up cheap.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I have air bags with my truck. It would bow the "helper, I have always referred to as overloads, downward. Actually form a bow downward. This is with near a 6k pin. The air bags got it off the helper springs. Doesn't take much air either. Ride is good towing. Bobtail it is a dually.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have air bags with my truck. It would bow the "helper, I have always referred to as overloads, downward. Actually form a bow downward. This is with near a 6k pin. The air bags got it off the helper springs. Doesn't take much air either. Ride is good towing. Bobtail it is a dually.

Wow, that's quite a pin. Mine scales in at 3,850 I think; nothing like yours. The squat on mine wasn't a material item; maybe a couple inches, but within factory truck specs. I wanted to provide more support if I ever did go down hard on the stops bouncing around on the road. When I looked at air bags, I first thought the compressor might be useful for my G114 trailer tires, but they're 125PSI, that didn't pan out. I got a power tank for those higher pressure tires. I looked at the air bags; clearly a good solution, but have so many moving parts already, just opted for simplicity.

Wow...if I had a 6k pin there is no way I would be pulling with a pickup of any kind unless possibly a 5500.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

It's actually 5820 last time I had it on scales. It is well within specs on axles/bearings. Slightly over on GM axle rating. Actually 5500s, last time I checked, were derated power wise. They are also too much truck in my humble opinion, for a daily commute vehicle. This is about air bags though. They do a great job at removing sag and taking stress off of springs.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If the air bag option doesn't add much weight, that sounds good. lakejumper's comment that the unloaded ride is stiffer is not good. The sales promo on the timbrens they don't affect unloaded ride, but I suspected that might not be true.

Anyone else using timbrens?

If the timbrens are installed correctly they are not connecting the top and bottom of the spring assembly unloaded, like the stop they replace. they only are engaged when the truck weight is high enough to force them together. Sample picture of Ford attached.

the difference in ride (hitched vs. unhitched) is explained somewhat by the additional mass on the back of the truck as well as getting the springs off the top of their travel.

maybe this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opdvry7IjmM

Not intended as an ad but does go into some detail and shows the install gap.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

I did as 57becky did with a 1/2" clearance unloaded on my 2012 Ram, it may be clearance is different for the type of truck. A friend had his reinstalled because of the hard ride and the 1/2" space made all the difference. ( again another Ram)

Al

When they installed my Timbrens, they guy said he only had 1/4 to 3/8 max; more like 1/4. We figured since I had firewood, a rhino bed liner and the fifth wheel hitch, the bed was riding lower than factory. Anyhow, I did notice a little bumping at first, but now I don't when I drive unloaded.

If you are determined to get it back to the unloaded level, then do what you have to do. But you may want to listen to all those who have found out that the level of the truck is really better when loaded. That's why the heavy duty stuff. I'd leave it alone.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Archived