Truck squatting: Air bags vs Timbren

Hi. A fellow offered to sell me his 2011 F350 diesel DRW 8' bed Lariat. When his 38' 5er is hitched, the truck squats a couple inches, which I'd like to correct. My issue is with ride comfort and getting level, not a better way to overload a truck, which I will not do.

I'm looking to buy a 5er with a MOR/ryde pin box to pair with this truck. I gather this pin box is good with back-forth (chucking), but isn't good with the up-down motion. I gather that the solution to the squat issue could also help by dealing with the up-down action and, if used with the MOR/ryde pin box, coverers both annoying motion issues.

Question:

1. Am I correct that using something to fix the squatting can work in tandem with the pin box I have?

2. Which is preferred, air bags or the product called Timbren at Timbren.com?

On #2, I'm concerned about adding more weight to an already minimal cargo capacity on this truck. If I did Timbren, would not having the ability to adjust them (like letting air in and out of bags) be a negative? If I did bags, do you have to have a compressor and isn't that heavy?

Any brand references and experiences would be great.

Thanks

2011 F350 Lariat, 6.7L, 3.73, CC, DRW, 8' Bed, Reese Elite 25K, TST 507
2011 Carri Lite 36XTRM5, MORryde IS/ Pin Box, Hydraulic Jacks/ Brakes, 17.5" Wheels/ G114 Tires

Solar 960 watts, (2) 50amp controllers, 3,000 watt hybrid inverter/charger, 830 AH batt bank

WiFi Ranger Elite Pack; weboost Drive 4G-X

I don't know about Timbren but what I used on my F-250 and heavy (for it) fiver were the dual bag Ride-Rite air springs. They got the truck back to level and my headlights on the road with no problem and only took a few hours to install.

Once you have the bags installed the other thing to do is add better rear shock absorbers, I'd do all four.

As to bouncing the trailer, the better shocks will help but an air-ride hitch would do the most good. Do the bags and shocks first and if bouncing is still an issue then look at an air hitch.

The Timbren sound similar to the WorkRite devices:

http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

http://www.firestoneip.com/riderite/productInformation.aspx

Still I'd go with the air ride versions.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

First allow me the disclaimer, I'm not a truck engineer! But it was my understanding back when I was using a 1 ton dually to tow with that the truck is designed to squat several inches with the pin weight. As I understand it the weight compresses the springs so they are more or less in the middle of their dynamic functioning range. When riding empty more or less the rear springs are uncompressed which in part contributes to the rougher empty ride. Our dually always seemed to ride much smoother hitched up to the 5er. Maybe a little investigation into how much the truck is intended to squat with a reasonable load would save you some money on unnecessary equipment. As I said, not the engineer, you get what you paid for with free advice!! Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

First allow me the disclaimer, I'm not a truck engineer! But it was my understanding back when I was using a 1 ton dually to tow with that the truck is designed to squat several inches with the pin weight. As I understand it the weight compresses the springs so they are more or less in the middle of their dynamic functioning range. When riding empty more or less the rear springs are uncompressed which in part contributes to the rougher empty ride. Our dually always seemed to ride much smoother hitched up to the 5er. Maybe a little investigation into how much the truck is intended to squat with a reasonable load would save you some money on unnecessary equipment. As I said, not the engineer, you get what you paid for with free advice!! Best wishes, Jay

I don't know that much about trucks, but I understand what you're saying. It seems that, empty, the truck rides high in the bed a few inches then squats down as its loaded, but it's dropping further than I'd like and not level. If a concrete block weighing the truck's payload were put in the bed, I don't know how far it's designed to squat. I just want to raise it so it's level.

2011 Carri Lite 36XTRM5, MORryde IS/ Pin Box, Hydraulic Jacks/ Brakes, 17.5" Wheels/ G114 Tires

Solar 960 watts, (2) 50amp controllers, 3,000 watt hybrid inverter/charger, 830 AH batt bank

Well, I guess if your low beams are lighting up the tree tops it might be squatting down too much!!! Our one ton squatted several inches, if I recall, about 4", but it was level when hitched to the 5er and I didn't have the headlights in the trees issue. I have not had to deal with a truck squatting so much that the rear end was below level but I do appreciate that you would perceive it as a problem. You might be well served to go weigh the entire rig and figure out what your actual pin weight is. It could be that your pin weight is putting you over the RAWR and is manifesting as excess squatting. Just a suggestion, Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

That is how I understand the mechanics of my dually too. It sat level when I first set-up my dually and 15,500# 5er, after 4-5 years the truck front began to sag, I had the front torsion bars reset to factory specs and the truck rode about 2.5" low in back when hooked up; which is normal for carrying about 3,000# pin weight.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If your truck is only squatting a couple of inches under load, you are in the design range for loaded operation. I have a 2012 F350 DRW and the truck rides better with a load in the bed.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Air shocks to carry the weight of a fiver aren't a good idea, the shock mounts are not built to take that kind of a load. I found out the hard way on an earlier truck when I punched my two rear shocks through the mounting holes with the bed full and at max pressure.

If the air bag option doesn't add much weight, that sounds good. lakejumper's comment that the unloaded ride is stiffer is not good. The sales promo on the timbrens they don't affect unloaded ride, but I suspected that might not be true.

Anyone else using timbrens?

Weight wasn't much on mine, two small brackets and small air bags on each side and about another 5 pounds for the compressor, maybe 25 total but that was a long time ago so check the site for weights.

I have Timbrens and have not compared them to air bags but I would install air bags the next time if I needed them. The Timbrens stopped the sagging but I can feel that the truck rides "harder" when not towing. Just my thoughts.

The Timbrens should not be affecting your unloaded ride. If they are, they were not installed properly or your springs have sagged to the point they are hitting when unloaded.

The manufacturers have been making the rear springs softer to satisfy the consumer that wants their truck to not ride like a truck when empty. The first thing I did before towing was add air bags. They do not weigh very much and are a pretty easy install if you are mechanically inclined.

There are many options for filling the airbags. You can install an on board air system so you can fill them while going down the road. Can also be used to fill tires and if a tank is installed you can run air tools. Probably no more then 50# total weight for compressor and tank. You can fill them anywhere you get air for tires, you can fill them with a small 12 volt plug in compressor, you can carry a small 10# C02 bottle to fill them when needed. They don't hold allot of air volume so a tank fill will last a long time if the valve is closed after each use.

As mentioned earlier I would replace the junk factory shock as soon as you buy the truck. I just replaced mine this weekend and with 18k miles 3 were DOA and the 4 was half dead when I took them off.

We have the Mor/Ryde king pin with air bags on the truck and love this combination. Also installed an electric on board compressor so we can adjust pressure as rod conditions change. Run the bags at 2-5 lbs. without the trailer to keep them from being pinched and the truck rides fine, for a one ton dually.

"Bloom where you are planted"
2006 F350 6.0 L Diesel, Lariet, Firestone air bags, Reese 20K Hitch
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 32TK3, MorRyde Pin Box, MorRyde I.S., Progressive Ind. EMS
Class of 2013 (12/21/2013)

Look in the rear wheel well of a dually. You'll see, at least on my Chevy they are there, two sets of springs. A larger multi leaf set on the axle, and a smaller set up higher. The latter are called the "helper springs". When you start riding on those you are squatting too much, and the ride gets stiffer, again.

So yes, ride with the main springs compressed, but not on the helper springs. Air bags are the perfect tool for the job as you can vary the pressure to get to the ride height you want to be. I am installing them on my truck as we speak, as I am riding on the helper springs, and although my lights are not quite in the top of the trees, I have been getting some flashing action from oncoming traffic.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I did have Firestone airbags and when one of them developed a leak I switched to Timbrens. Now I am considering going to airbags again but they will be PacBrake brand when I do. Check them out at ebay from seller "chucksahunter". I purchased a PacBrake exhaust brake from him and got excellent service.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Be advised that Pac-Brake bags are most likely Firestone or TRW, or another brand. They don't manufacture their own bags. The last set I installed came with Good Year bags. I bought direct from them, via the toll-free number.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have Timbrens and have not compared them to air bags but I would install air bags the next time if I needed them. The Timbrens stopped the sagging but I can feel that the truck rides "harder" when not towing. Just my thoughts.

If you are riding harder with the Timbrens and no load, they are not installed properly. when unloaded, the Timbrens should have 1/2" to 1" free clearance between the snubber and the axle. The Timbren does not come into play when the truck is unloaded.

ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

My 2009 F350 SRW was sagging about 4" with the 5er hooked up. Pogoed alot. I installed the Loadlifter 5000 air bags and ran seperate air lines to the rear bumper where the license plate holder is. I suggest seperate air lines to the individual bags so the air from one bag does not bleed over into the other bag causing a side-to-side sway. I use my compressor at home or a 12v compressor I keep in the trailer to air the bags and level the trailer and truck up. Love the ride now. Seems much more stable and only pogoes when I hit a freeway bridge seam but settles back quickly. The Loadlifter bags and brackets didn't add much weight. It was worth it to get the head lights back on the road. I decided against installing an on board compressor because of cost but may add later for easier air pressure adjustment.

John and Sharon

2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS

LevelUp autoleveling system

2009 F350 FX4 SRW King Ranch

Loadlifter 5000

My opinion is move the fifth wheel ahead 2 or 3 inches to. Transfer some weight to the front level out the truck and let the suspension work as intended.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

My opinion is move the fifth wheel ahead 2 or 3 inches to. Transfer some weight to the front level out the truck and let the suspension work as intended.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Moving the hitch forward usually isn't an option, my last pickup had 150 pounds capacity left on the front axle with full tanks, a bit of cargo and the two of us. Forward also impacts the handling making the fiver slower to turn and tracking further inside the truck on turns. I'd certainly not do that on a pickup.

Archived