toilet ball will not close

im having an issue with my toilet ball valve not closing all the way when the peddle is released. if I pull up even lightly it will close and hold water...seams like spring has gotten weak, to me? I cant find any info on what I have I think it is a dometic 300. The only thing I can find is  foot peddle put does not say what is included.  I plan on replacing the ball seal when I do this but cant find part #s.

PLEASE HELP

Scott

I had to replace the spring cartridge on mine five times in three years.  It is a simple operation, takes 10 minutes at the most.  I bought mine from Amazon for half the price the RV supply place charged, kept one in reserve all the time.  The spring always broke in my case.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Scott, the model # is on a sticker on the pedestal, you must remove the plastic pedestal cover first. Here is an exploded diagram with part numbers. The  spring cartridge and  the bowl seal are available on Amazon, but the bowl seal is cheaper from Ebay(8.99) While you have it apart, insure there are no nicks on the ball valve, these ruin the bowl seal. Might as well replace the seal while you have it apart, even it the old one works.

The instructions say the most common cause of spring cartridge failure is from allowing the pedal to snap closed.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The instructions say the most common cause of spring cartridge failure is from allowing the pedal to snap closed.

Neighbor Ray, I CAN TESTIFY TO THAT. Years back when we took the three kids camping THAT HAPPENED LOL

"Might as well replace the seal while you have it apart, even it the old one works."

MAJOR DITTO ON THAT I always did

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

• 2 weeks later...

Though scotts may be gone, we had the same problem and learned a simple solution. Grease black gasket adjacent to the ball valve with petroleum jelly. Turn off the water, empty water from the toilet bowl, put on a disposable glove, clean the black gasket and ball valve, and apply a little petroleum jelly. Repeat when the ball starts to stick again. 

Edited by Diana & Micahel

Diana & Michael
Hawaii Island and Alaska

scotts said the ball valve will not close all the way,"seems like the spring got weak". I doubt greasing the gasket will remedy a weak spring.

In my previous reply I my advice was wrong, the 300 is a throw-away unit, no way to repair/replace the ball valve  or spring, only the gasket may be replaced.

I was corrected on scotts irv2.com forum thread. I looked up the Dometic 300 on the net and confirmed the correct information.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961