Again New or Used Gas Coach

J&C getting ready

4 hours ago, J&C getting ready said:

As for me getting a gas coach, that is sent in stone. 

Don't let any of the "experts" intimidate you into changing your mind. I do have a little bit of RV experience since I have owned one most of the time since 1972. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, J&C getting ready said:

As for me getting a gas coach, that is sent in stone.  

Us starting out in a Class B was set in stone as well. It took us four months to trade it for a Class C. We just didn't know what we didn't know.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have owned zero.  Have lived in zero, have fixed friends and use to own a cabinet shop and contractor company, all my equipment was carried in a gas trucks, I maintained them myself, have the tools for them and pretty much enjoy gas doing so.  As for coaches, my wife almost wants Newmar that has the same floor plan as the adventurer 35f with a smaller shower.  I don't see the need to get it considering we want the same plan.  We do not want anything over 40ft and to date have not seen a diesel with the floor plan we agree is better that hit all our wants.im

We only know what we have seen in the research we have done.  I know zero about a diesel and am not afraid of new things I just know that gas has never failed me.

When I was on active duty in the military I was parlized, after surgery I what through a year of PT and redeployed when declared fit for duty again.  Well you learn in situations like that to kind of take life slower and just be happy for the moments.  I see I can do the same things in both a gas and a diesel, I know I can fix almost anything on a gas without learning something new or buying any tools.  I appreciate even being in a position in life to be able to do this with the wife that stuck by my side when I couldn't walk in the past and to tell the truth, when I said I dont have envy for what others have I honestly mean it.  If I can do all the exciting things you guys are and eventually down the road sit beside you all at various camp fires in my smaller, slower home and share where we have been and hear where you think we should go next and have a coach that will get me there, you have know idea what that means to me.  How I do this journey has been researched yes, have I done it no.  I'm a combat vet that has been injured and can do everything I could before my injuries I just have to do it slower and that caused me to be happy and excited about everything, appreciate anything and expect nothing.  Do I think giving up our current life and hitting the road in a gas home will be hard.  Heck no, it might be one of the easiest things I have done since putting on my big boy paints.  When something goes wrong on the road I just believe I think of it differently then alot of people.

As for power, I will get there when I get there and my wife will be by my side.  The same wife that at 25 stood in a hospital as the doctor told me I had a 50/50 chance to walk again.  At 40 mph going up a hill I will have even longer to look over at her and be happy we are doing this together since it is her dream.

I do appreciate everyone's input because this helps us and I learn so much from others about this lifestyle that is telling us what to be ready for, what the lifestyle is life etc.  So any input is going to help us and I see it in a positive way.  Based on how I am I just know what I want, I'm not saying I'm right or my wife agrees with me with not getting a DP.  I do know I'm getting a new gas coach.  Once the family wakes up we are heading out to look at a different dealer so just maybe I see something different that excites me.  If I do it will be gas because that is what makes me fell comfortable.

Kirk I'm not, I look at what they say and will try to think of how we can use that info and write it down in my notebook.  You previous post about what you experienced in your gas class A RV's was very motivating.  If our only child was not in high school and this state did not offer the first 2 years of college for free we would be on the road full time already because we are ready.

J&C, welcome.  I have been following your posts.  From one vet to another, thanks for your service.

There are a couple things I will point out reference the gas vs diesel debate when it comes to Class A motorhomes.  I am just passing this on our experiences the past few years.

We were traveling in a 37' 2014 gas (V-10 F-53 chassis).  There were many pluses to that coach.  It was laid out nicely.  We had a w/d stacked, it had over 200 square feet of bottom storage.  I could easily change my own oil in less than 30 minutes.  But there were some negatives also.  It handled like an overloaded bread truck when it was windy out.  I did numerous modifications to the frame/suspension and it helped some but on windy days it could still be white knuckle driving.  The V-10 was an okay motor but you have to remember it is sitting up there in your lap.  When it starts downshifting to climb a hill you and your wife will either stop your conversation or have to almost scream at each other to be heard.  

We went with a little longer DP which has a tag.  Now I don't get moved around when big rigs pass me.  Actually I have to watch as any box trucks or smaller combinations pass be because my air displacement tends to push them around.  Instead of being beat up at the end of a 350 miles travel day I now feel totally refreshed.   Of course with a DP you never hear the engine pulling those hills which is really nice.  We can actually have some music playing if we want to and hear it.

You can full time in anything from a tent to a 3 million dollar coach, the decision is yours and your families.   Just keep in mind that as a full timer you will be in that rig 365 days/nights a year plus traveling.  You will be using all the systems on it and stressing them to the max.  What will provide you better longer service?  Will it be a new gas coach or will it be a used DP?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

34 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

Just keep in mind that as a full timer you will be in that rig 365 days/nights a year plus traveling. 

Point well made but to add just a little bit more, keep in mind also that living comfort is of more importance than the power or ride since you will spend far more hours sitting still and living in it that you will actually be traveling over the roads. To me, the floorplan is of far greater importance, as long as it fits into your budget. Your lifestyle can also plan a significant role in what is the best fit since some people move about pretty much constantly while others tend to stop for fairly long periods. We usually followed the seasons and sat still for one to three months and then traveled to new territory. As a result, we drove the motorhome about 80k miles in our 12 years fulltime and put more than 300k miles on the cars that we towed. 

9 hours ago, J&C getting ready said:

I have owned zero.  Have lived in zero, have fixed friends and use to own a cabinet shop and contractor company, all my equipment was carried in a gas trucks, I maintained them myself, have the tools for them and pretty much enjoy gas doing so. 

Thanks for sharing more of your history. It helps me understand why your plan may well be right for you.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, J&C getting ready said:

If our only child was not in high school and this state did not offer the first 2 years of college for free we would be on the road full time already because we are ready.

Minnesota offers free college in place of Junior and Senior years of high school to students who qualify. Our daughter decided to do her senior year that way. Unfortunately, she also decided living on campus was a good thing and, since she was 18, she had the power to do that. Like many young students she then majored in social life so she didn't get the grades she needed to advance. Just something you might want to consider regarding your future plans.

Winnebago built a gas engine pusher class A called a Destination (?) - it would seem to be a good configuration vs 5000rpm engine riding up front in the conversation area. 

Find one gently used and change out the can for one no one has sat on before and it could be just like a new one without the new rv pain in the ass issues. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, noteven said:

Winnebago built a gas engine pusher class A called a Destination

The Winnebago Destination is a fifth wheel. I was unable to find anything on the Winnebago site about a gas pusher. 

52 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

The Winnebago Destination is a fifth wheel. I was unable to find anything on the Winnebago site about a gas pusher. 

I needed to put into my search box "winnebago destination motorhome". I found a couple used ones for sale by doing that. The Destination could be ordered as gas or diesel. I think both of the ones I found were diesel. They were both 39-feet long.

Linda

On 4/5/2019 at 8:51 AM, FL-JOE said:

From one vet to another, thanks for your service.

Thanks for your service. Unfortunately trying to give advice to the OP seems to be a waste of time. He ask, but his mind is made up and facts about fulltiming by people who have experience doesn't matter.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:51 AM, FL-JOE said:

Will it be a new gas coach or will it be a used DP?

He is dead set to spend a lot of money on a entry level gas coach. 

For example for the same money as the gas coach you can have this quality/luxury diesel coach. 

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2007-Foretravel-Motorhome-Nimbus-340-6649627?ref=list

Here is something else to look at.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2008-Newmar-Motorhome-Mountain-Aire-45-6649415?ref=list

Many reley like the comfort Comfort Drive Steering with Adjustable Control. 

Here is one that is amazing and only $136.500. That would leave at least $43,500 for any upgrades/ repairs.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2005-Foretravel-Motorhome-U295-6800828?ref=list

Unfortunately I think the OP has the misconception that he needs to buy new because he thinks it is like buying a new car, say a Honda. Pick it up and never have a problem. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Newness has never been a thing with us, but only for a quality product, with the right floor plan, for meeting our budget and no matter how old it might be. Newness is no substitute for engineering, but not to say that there are no new ones out there with quality and with assuming that one has an unlimited budget for an RV. Wish we had an older one, in fact and for maybe a Prevost or Foretravel, but again, there wasn't such a thing, as having 3 slides and 1 1/2 baths that would have met out budget, when we bought last. Too old for the wait now, so this one will have to do and it does do nicely. Just wish we were able to use it more than we have been for one reason or the other.

With those that have a budget to adhere to, it never ceases to amaze me, with so many that buy entry level gas units, rather than a 10yr old quality DP for even less money. I can understand where the problem lies with those that choose to finance and with maybe wanting a 20 yr note, that no bank will touch. Discounting that, the depreciation savings alone will do a lot of whatever it might take for making things right, that you might have missed or agreed upon, for the price. 

This business of a 10yr rule in RV parks is beginning to sound like a wives tale and the very least of one's RV worries. The last time, I heard that foolishness with a phone call, I said I coming over anyway and when I got there, they never even came outside for a looksee. Might have looked out the window, before I went inside however. This is just a ploy for keeping out the rif raf, when necessary. Thing is about rif raf, most can't afford these parks, anyway.

Dan

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to 
appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

He ask, but his mind is made up and facts about fulltiming by people who have experience doesn't matter.

That really isn't true. He has chosen to be selective in the advice that he is taking. You clearly believe that we did things all wrong as well and we had more than 25 years of RV experience when we chose our fulltime coach. We would do pretty much the same if we were starting over today with the same set of circumstances. Some people actually believe that they know what suits them better than you or I might. 🤗 

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

That really isn't true. He has chosen to be selective in the advice that he is taking. You clearly believe that we did things all wrong as well and we had more than 25 years of RV experience when we chose our fulltime coach. We would do pretty much the same if we were starting over today with the same set of circumstances. Some people actually believe that they know what suits them better than you or I might. 🤗 

Kirk, please don't read anything into my following post except what I actually type.  I know you were referring to someone else's post but I certainly don't want you to twist what I am about to say around.  I'm not even sure exactly what coach you started full timing in way back when.

J&C, there are some hard facts you need to be consider prior to taking the plunge into purchasing a new gas coach.  It also partially applies to buying a new diesel coach as well.

The example I will use may or may not even be in the price range you are looking at, but the percents I will throw out there will still apply.  If a coach you are looking at has a common MSRP sticker of $160,000 then you should be able to purchase that new coach for between $109,000 and $120,000.  So say you do, in 3 or 4 years that coach will be worth around $70,000 to $75,000 if you are lucky and depending on the market.

Now if you found a used DP with a floor plan you liked in the $110,000 to $120,000 range that same coach has had much of the depreciation rung out of it already.  That coach will probably be worth $90,000 to $100,000 in 3 or 4 years.

Lose $40,000 to $60,000 in 3 or 4 years or lose less than half that.  You have to remember that purchasing an RV is nothing like purchasing a vehicle.

But of course, the bottom line is get what you want.  Everything I just said is just the opinion of an old retired guy. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That really isn't true. He has chosen to be selective in the advice that he is taking.

Well yes it is. Want to bet he comes back and tells us he bought the gas coach over the weekend , if he hasn't already had the paperwork in the system.

You clearly believe that we did things all wrong as well and we had more than 25 years of RV experience when we chose our fulltime coach. We would do pretty much the same if we were starting over today with the same set of circumstances.

Well I don't know what you did but if you did the same thing, then yes I think you could have made better choices. I know you won't admit to making a bad choice. No one likes to admit the could have done it better. 

Some people actually believe that they know what suits them better than you or I might. 🤗 

If that is true, why are they on this forum asking for advice from people with experience?  I can understand how easy it would be to make not as good decisions years ago. You didn't have the tools like this forum to gather information and benefit from others experience. 

Bill 

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

6 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Kirk, please don't read anything into my following post except what I actually type.  I know you were referring to someone else's post but I certainly don't want you to twist what I am about to say around.  I'm not even sure exactly what coach you started full timing in way back when

Don't worry about that as there is no reason why I'd want to. Sometimes people have good reasons for the decisions that they make and you are not the one who still insists that we did it wrong, even after we spent 12 very happy years with the choice that we made. If J&C doesn't want a diesel, does it really matter why? We each offer advice based on our own experience and what was right for us, but most of us also realize that someone choosing to do differently than we advise does not make them wrong. 

6 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

But of course, the bottom line is get what you want. 

And that is the critical part where you and I agree. There are valid arguments for many different approaches but in the end, what really matters is that the new RV owner is satisfied with his choice.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, J&C getting ready said:

About 20 years ago my wife and I started dating and she is always wanted us to get a motorhome, I am a retires Vet (2007) and receive disibility……..

That is a bit of background about me.  Now here is my question.  I am 100% we are going to get a class A rig, I hear the pros and cons about  gas and diesel rigs and I see the difference between them as we visit dealerships and I also see the difference in price.  I do understand you get what you pay for but I have looked at all the numbers of fulltime living on the road since that is what we want to do.  That being said I want to put 15% down and...…..

Sorry it is so long there is so much going on in my head.  I understand about the depreciation and fit and finish with a new vs new and don't really care about the depreciation (not that we have money to just toss away).  I do care about the fact...….

What do you think?

I don't want to keep harping on this, because even though the OP asked "what do you think" it really sounds like they have made up their mind on getting a new gas coach.

There are tons of new RVers out there purchasing new gas coaches each and every day.  What worries me is that many of them will get taken advantage of by the RV dealerships and I suspect this OP could be one of them.

He states he understands about depreciation and really doesn't care about it.  Here is the problem with that type of thinking.  If he does not get a price reduction of 25% to 30% off that shinny new gas RV, plus he only puts 15% down on the loan, he will be upside down the second he drives the thing off the lot.  In a year or two if they decide they are done they could be anywhere from $20,000 to $60,000 under water on their RV.  

No one knows what the future will bring.  Maybe they will be happy in their RV, finance it for 15 years and completely pay it off in that time frame.  Or, maybe one of them gets sick after 5 years, or they want to trade it off, or they just want to stop full timing.

I truly wish them the best of luck.  I just hope he is not one of the newbies that takes that great deal from the dealership because the sale price was 10% off this week.   

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

I truly wish them the best of luck.  I just hope he is not one of the newbies that takes that great deal from the dealership because the sale price was 10% off this week.

Joe, I think you are right. We didn't get to try to explain that he will need to do a bunch of suspension upgrades to make that NEW gas coach comfortable to drive. Not to mention all the warranty work that will be needed.  I found several coaches he was looking at. All were in the $180,000 to $175,000 range before all the add ons, like super wax job and treatments for the carpet type things.

Go look at the last coach I posted a link to. $136.500. That would leave at least $43,500 for any upgrades/repairs. I want you to tell me which you would be better for full time use. Which one would be the better buy. I also don't want to hear about "the OP wants a gas coach and that is what he should get." The OP came here to get help in making a decision from people who allegedly know and have actual experience. Telling the OP to spend that much on a gas coach is like telling him "go ahead and buy that rowboat shure it leaks bad but the exercise bailling is good for you".

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

6 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Joe, I think you are right. We didn't get to try to explain that he will need to do a bunch of suspension upgrades to make that NEW gas coach comfortable to drive.

Wow! I guess I really did do everything wrong! Stupid me, we even had a great life and wonderful experiences and we didn't even have you to guide us!   🤣🤣

With the attitudes displayed here it is no wonder that so many new people come here and make one or two posts, then never return.

Wow! I guess I really did do everything wrong! Stupid me

Well it is to bad you feel that way. Perhaps others can learn from your mistakes.

With the attitudes displayed here it is no wonder that so many new people come here and make one or two posts, then never return.

Maybe if you worked on your attitude they would come back.🤣 😘

Bill 

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

Kirk, you keep dragging everything back to "this is about you" and how you started.  Am I missing something?  I realize you must have started out with a gas Class A and did those 11 years of full timing in it, but other than that why so sensitive?

If you purchased your Class A new and paid 85% or 90% of MSRP, plus financed 85% or more of it then I could understand why you would be so defensive.  Under those historical circumstances you have to realize now you were financially irresponsible and naïve.  

Bill and I are just attempting to keep a new person from getting upside down on a new gas RV when there are better options out there.  

So, no matter how you started out please do not encourage this newbie to pay more than he should or finance 85% of what he ends up paying for a new gas coach.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

• Kirk W locked this topic

Archived