gmail issues

bigjim

I have used 1 gmail address for so long I don't remember when I first started.  Some time ago  when they wanted to have a verification phone # or email address I added another email address.  Now all of a sudden I was unable to log in to the 2nd one but eventually go in using of their steps. One was there muddled letters to type in like "recaptcha"  The problem was I couldn't make out all the letter with my vision. As an option I could hear it "spoken" but it wasn't clear enough to understand especially since I have severe tininitus.  I finally figured out a way to regenerate the letters until I could read one. ( No instruction on how to do this) I finally got in. I was able to access both accounts.  This morning I could not get into either one. Thank goodness I had an old third account at Aol and was able to get a code to access the 2nd one using a code they sent.  I first tried to have it sent to the primary account which is how I found out I could not access the primary accout this day.   They seem desperate to force me to give them my phone number.  I am barely computer literate and just flat don't get it.   What can a person like myself do in this type situation?  We are so tied into the internet I pretty much have to access some thing IE: My healthevet, OPM services online, etc.  Can someone plainly give me some insight that I can understand?

With so many bad guys trying to hack into their database, they have to be cautious. Anyone who has had their account hacked won't mind jumping through the hoops to protect it.

They will send you the access code via email or phone. So you should either setup a reliable 2nd email account, or give them your phone number. The same thing is likely to happen again, so plan ahead for it. or borrow a nearby 12 yr old, they can fix anything technical

Google already knows more details about you than your family does, so sharing your phone number with them isn't going to hurt. However you should go into your Google account and change all the privacy and Ad settings to minimize who they share your info with.

I can sympathize with you on Captcha, I only wear my glasses when driving, but have trouble making out many of the Captcha mixed up numbers or letters. I just keep clicking on re-generate until I get one thats clear.

Jim

Instead of having an alternate email account to get an access code have your cell phone tied to it and then you get a text message. Much easier in my opinion. In fact, i have my Google account set to require 2-part log in. Anytime I log in a "new" device I have to go through both steps. It really creates an added layer of security. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived