Surge protectors and adapters

tabur

Hello folks,

Hope you don't mind a little background info first:

Loooong time lurker here who finally pulled the trigger on a 5er.  It's a one owner, 2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS.  It was a local purchase and the seller even delivered it to my driveway as I did not have enough truck to pull it.   The couple is in their 70's and are in the market for a small Class C.  Because of this, all that was included was the main 50 amp power cord as they kept all the adapters and surge protector. 

Truth is, because of my schedule, we will not be using the 5er until spring.  The upside is that I can take my time to accessorize.

I already purchased a 15 amp male to 50 amp female twist adapter to charge the batteries from my house.  Now I'm looking at 50 amp surge protectors and 30 amp to 50 amp dog bone adapters and want to make sure I am looking at this correctly.

So if a pedestal has a 50 amp connection I'd simply plug the surge protector into the pedestal and run the power cord to the 5er.  If the pedestal only has a 30 amp service, would the surge protector then plug into the dog bone?

Looking for conformation and any and all suggestions on powering and protecting the RV.

Thank you.

Al

If you purchase a 50 amp surge protector you will only be able to plug it into a 50 amp receptacle. So you will plug the 30 to 50 amp adaptor into the 30 amp pedestal and then plug your 50 amp surge protector into the adapter and then connect your shore power cord to the surge protector.  Another way would be to have your surge protector hard wired into your RV and then you would just plug your shore cord into the adaptor which is plugged into the pedestal. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

If you purchase a 50 amp surge protector you will only be able to plug it into a 50 amp receptacle. So you will plug the 30 to 50 amp adaptor into the 30 amp pedestal and then plug your 50 amp surge protector into the adapter and then connect your shore power cord to the surge protector.  Another way would be to have your surge protector hard wired into your RV and then you would just plug your shore cord into the adaptor which is plugged into the pedestal. 

Thank you TT.  I understand what you are saying.  I think I'll explore the hard wired option before purchasing anything.

I have always had hardwired surge protector. Not hard to install if you have some elec skills. Or any RV dealer or electrician can do it. 

This way nothing is outside in the elements or in view, and you plug in like normal as mentioned already. 

With hardwired you get in unit remote panel to see parimeter readout and errors. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

21 hours ago, billr said:

I have always had hardwired surge protector. Not hard to install if you have some elec skills. Or any RV dealer or electrician can do it. 

This way nothing is outside in the elements or in view, and you plug in like normal as mentioned already. 

With hardwired you get in unit remote panel to see parimeter readout and errors. 

Thanks Bill. I've been looking at the Progressive Industries hard wired units and I think I could handle the install once I figure out where to put it.

I have the Progressive portable 50 amp.  If you get the hardwired one, they guarantee it for life, even if it gets blasted by lightning like my portable did at the Tampa RV show.  I'd hung it on a chain link fence by the truck driving school to get it out of the accumulating water.  Progressive still replaced everything except the outside case.

Can't ask for more than that.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:03 PM, rdickinson said:

I have the Progressive portable 50 amp.  If you get the hardwired one, they guarantee it for life, even if it gets blasted by lightning like my portable did at the Tampa RV show.  I'd hung it on a chain link fence by the truck driving school to get it out of the accumulating water.  Progressive still replaced everything except the outside case.

Can't ask for more than that.

No you can't. I haven't been able to locate where to install the hard-wired unit so I may very well go with the portable one. Glad to know Progressive stands behind their equipment. 

10 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

Anywhere between the external connection and your breaker box would do, and with additional cable/connectors truly anywhere that would be convenient for you to access.

Thanks Rick but I'm just not seeing it. The shore connection is on the street side just in front of the rear storage compartment. The only thing accessible in the rear storage compartment is the splitter for the coax cable, the shore connection is not visible from this compartment. The only other place I see wiring is in the front compartment that is pre-wired for a generator. The breaker box is in the bathroom and pretty much dead center of the unit.

The unit has a 30' slide on the street side and again, I am not seeing any access points for power. I found the bypass for the water heater but that's about it. 

I just winterized the unit so I have plenty of time to poke around and familiarize myself with some of the systems. I just purchased a truck and the new hitch is to be delivered next week. My main goal is to prep the unit for a shakedown trip come late March or April. 

Again, thanks for the input!

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Archived