Hot Tire Pressure

dewilso

If you are on the road and after while you need to adjust your air, but the air place is miles down the road, and the tires will be road heated, how can you determine a good pressure ? You leave Texas and it’s 100°, then, later, you are in Colorado, it’s 40°, your tire pressure monitor squeals every morning, it’s 50 miles to Discount Tire.......?

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Like Kirk says, an air compressor and you can set your air pressures every morning if you like regardless where you are, and the temp.  As long as you set the high side of the range to a safe #, you shouldn't get over-limit readings if you go from a cool morning to a scorching hot afternoon (like the time I went from Lone Pine CA to Death Valley!).  I personally carry the Viair 88P, good enough for the 80psi rear tires on the truck.  If you have a MH with 100psi or such, the Viair 400RV will get you there!

If you set your cold air pressure correctly in the morning, and stop and check it a couple of times a day to see what it is hot, you'll quickly get a feel for what a safe hot pressure is for your rig.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Just adjust the low pressure a little lower on your tpms.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Yeppers the tires say on the sidewall something like Max Load at 80 PSI Cold, so what's cold (you in the Arizona desert or Alaska) ????????? Late at night or early AM pressure is what I use regardless of where I'm at. One other safety check I've used is when I stop for gas shoot a temp gun on each tire to get a read on if any (perhaps under inflated and flexing and heating up) are way out of range. If so inspect and check immediately.

John T  NO tire expert by any means

I'm not a tire expert either, but I can give you a link to somebody who is:

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/

Plus links to factory publications from Goodyear and Michelin:

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/reference-materials/tire-guide-warranties-and-bulletins/

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

14 hours ago, dewilso said:

If you are on the road and after while you need to adjust your air, but the air place is miles down the road, and the tires will be road heated, how can you determine a good pressure ? ......?

The pressure rises about 2% for every 10 degrees F. Get yourself one of the Digital IR (non-contact) Temp Sensors to read the tire surface temps (if your TPMS doesn't give temp readings). Like others, I also carry a portable compressor good up to 125 psi, since my MH tires need about 90 psi and many fuel station air outlets either don't have room for a 38 ft MH plus towed, or they don't work well at 100 psi. 

I made my fall transition from summer home to winter home this week. when I left the Colorado mountains early morning it was 24 F, and the normally 85-90 psi tires were reading 75 - 80. I did not add any air and 500 miles later in southern NM it was 80 F ambient and the tires were reading 105 psi.  As the experts advise its the cold temp pressure that matters, never let air out when the tires are hot. But when your "cold" varies from 24F to 80F you should adjust accordingly.  Most TPMS allow some flexibility in setting your base pressures and the range or % variation before setting off an alarm.

Jim

Archived