Chevy Volt 48v batteries dead

Imspyguy

I don't know if there are any charging methods or chargers that might work but if these batteries are dead for long it usually means that's it.  Lithium ion batteries are very sensitive to complete discharges.  Lithium ion batteries usually have circuitry to disconnect before complete discharge and these can fail in such a way as to make the batteries seem dead.  A person knowledgeable about these circuits could check for problems.  My experience with lithium ions is if the battery fails we haven't been able to revive them.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Possibly... to a degree... but generally, no. You also have to consider if the cost and labor is worth the return. The only method I am aware of that has limited success is to deep cool the dead battery pack and do a "jump start" from a comparably sized "live" pack. There are some dangers involved though as severely damaged cells within the pack "may" overheat and/or explode.

The safest route being to tear the pack down into individual cells and attempt a recovery/jump-start cell by cell. Once an individual cell is able to pass current then a recharge can be attempted and the pack rebuilt.

Of note though is that "recovered" cells generally will have limited capacity and longevity.

Personally... I would take a hard pass.

While Lithium technology and charging safety has improved over the past few years, charging and temperature and proper SOC is still relatively critical, so I personally wouldn't feel safe n comfy trying to experiment or revive a set of them, but its your RV and money and to each their own.

John T  NOT any Lithium expert by any means so no warranty 

Firstly, are these batteries in a Chevy Volt?  Or are they a pack that have been removed and you're trying to re-purpose them for another use?

Second, do you know what type (chemistry) of batteries these are?  Lithium Ion?  Lithium Iron Phosphate?  Lithium Cobalt?  

Each of these different types have different properties and require different charging methods.  After you determine exactly what kind of batteries (cells) these are then you could research that type to see if they can be brought back.  If they are still in the car or the BMS system is still attached and active then the cells might still be good. 

Good luck!

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

This should get you started:    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Not trying to be funny but do some basic research, these are not lead acid batteries and should not be treated as the same.  

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

There are many DIY'er using the Chevy Volt battery. I suggest you search on the WWW. 

I have read up on using the CV as a battery system for Rv. many different ways. But Alas you have to search on the WWW. 

By the way, this include YouTube videos , showing how to reconfigure a 48 Volt pack to 12 Voth pack So, please really explain what you want and want to do. Otherwise my suggestion is the same. This is how I learned all about the CV battery system 

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Archived