Tunnel Heights

SuiteSuccess

Are the height signs for arched tunnels to the lowest point on the wall or to the center of the arch?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, they "should" indicate the height so that a vehicle traveling through the tunnel, IN it's own lane and lower than the height posted will fit. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Depends on the state and signage. Typically, and if the sign lists nothing or just "height" or "clearance", it's the minimum clearance measured from the edge of the roadway or the lowest overhead obstruction.... although it's sometimes measured at the edge of the shoulder. If the sign specificilly says "max" height/clearance it's measured at the center of the roadway and "min" height/clearance" is measured at the edge of the roadway.

5'er,

Where Carl & I are located, the tunnels here are old and small even for mining carts. So...sometimes they're marked at the center of the arch, sometimes at the top of the vertical wall, sometimes splitting the difference, maybe not marked at all. Watch the traffic, slow down, and beware of New Pavement

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Thanks guys.  Was considering looking at some roads in “our neck of the woods” as Paul says and when using Truck & Travel App it just says height 14’3” which is fine if it did not mean I had to be over the center line.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks John.  My Rand McNally can be programmed for low clearances, but bet your app is more inclusive.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

also, on older roads/bridges especially, if it is really close, hope they have not overlayed pavement since they measured. You might have seen the big CAT dump truck on trailer that took out bridge in Nashville a few weeks ago. They supposedly had 6 inches of clearance, but since they repaved 8 times since the last measurement, they were 6 inches over. Or it was the driver's fault. There was no clear determination last I saw. 

There is a bridge by Montgomery Bell State Park that says 14' on it. But I am willing to bet, there is no more than 12' clearance under there. I stopped and turned around. A travel trailer in front of me looked like it barely cleared and I am at least 3-4 feet taller than that. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived