A/C stopped yesterday

Has any one used Florida Georgia Mobile RV Service?

Sent them an email this morning and hoping for an email response or at least they will leave a voice mail if they try to call. 

Got home at 2pm yesterday to a warm home. It was the hottest day of the year so far and I thought I hadn't set the thermostat low enough. Nope temperature inside 91 degrees air coming out of vents seemed cool but no. Turned everything off for a bit and then restarted. Same result. Circulation fan starts but don't hear any compressor start. Outside find the exterior fan not running. Check all the circuit breakers and nothing changes. Pull the cover off and there is a green light flashing on the circuit board. There are no disconnected wires that I can find and no signs of insect or rodent activity. I have a multi tester, but have no idea where to start. I know there is a number where a service tech can call and the rep will walk them through the evaluation, can't find it on any of my paperwork.  Going to be cooler today and better through next week hopefully. First time ever sleeping in this rig with the windows open. Humidity picking up now so I'm closing everything up and heading to my daughters for the heat of the day. Will come back after dark and open it up and hopefully get a good nights sleep before work tomorrow. 

Unit is a basement model from Airxcel Model 46515. Thanks Vern, I put that in my email to the tech, but forgot it here. 

Happy Mothers Day. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Added info to original post. Unit installed new 2013. Basement Coleman .

Thanks for the replies. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

if go to Bryant RV site there is a service document there that should help. I have only worked on a few of them through the years.

I do not know if parts are available or not. The last one the customer found his motor online. I installed it. The manufacturer said you needed to remove the unit to install the motor. But I did it without removing the unit.

with service document and meter you can figure out what is happening.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

if go to Bryant RV site there is a service document there that should help. I have only worked on a few of them through the years.

I do not know if parts are available or not. The last one the customer found his motor online. I installed it. The manufacturer said you needed to remove the unit to install the motor. But I did it without removing the unit.

with service document and meter you can figure out what is happening.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Thanks Again Vern.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-source/coleman-mach/two-ton-he/two-ton-he-operation-and-maintenance-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Notice: "The 46515 series heat pump uses a factory installed High Pressure Switch Safety Circuit. In the event of an abnormal condition (failure of fan motor, dirty condenser coil, dirty filters), the high pressure switch will prevent the compressor from continuing to run. Once the high pressure switch has tripped, this safety circuit will “Lock Out” the compressor and outdoor fan preventing them from trying to restart or run. This is a manual reset pressure switch, access shall be limited to Qualified Technicians. The manual reset push button for the pressure switch is accessed in the units electrical box and 115 volt power shall be turned off while resetting switch."

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Thanks for the replies. Did get an email response yesterday afternoon asking my location. It was late afternoon when I saw it and didn't get a response when I replied with the name of the RV Park and a request for info on their minimum charge. 

I did compose an additional email this morning before work and hope to see a response this morning that someone will be able to come to my location today. I have survived the nights but could not stay in the trailer during the day. It is supposed to rain today but I hope it will do it while I'm at work and not when I get home and hopefully find a service person here too. I do have a large umbrella so as long as there isn't any lightning I could offer a little protection. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

It would be really great to say I have my problem resolved, but I cannot.

I asked a question about North Florida Georgia RV repair, but should have asked about Tallahassee RV Truck and RV Repair. I had a front wheel seal leaking and had a local reference that they were a good place to have work done. Fixing the wheel seal and a couple other issues worked good. Unfortunately with my A/C problem it's been less than satisfactory.  I am still having no success in having my A/C problem resolved. 

Yes a person (the owner)arrived Monday afternoon following the issue starting on Saturday.  Diagnosed a faulty capacitor, that he did not have but would order and have the next day. Friday arrives and I have not heard from the "Owner of Tallahassee Truck and RV repair" . I inquire, but get no response. Finally on Monday I get a response that they will be there with the required part on Tuesday, that didn't happen and on Friday I was informed of an issue in getting the needed part. 

It's now been over three weeks that I have been without air conditioning. I accept that I have not been a pain in the ASS of the person who I asked for assistance, but I will expect compensation for their failure to respond to my needs in a timely manor.  I made them aware of my A/C issue    5/14/18 and today 5/25/18 I am still waiting on a resolution to the problem. 

This is just an update and a vent. I hope that I have resolution of my problem before I leave North Florida next weekend. 

Rod                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

2007 Honda GL 1800

1 hour ago, lappir said:

It's now been over three weeks that I have been without air conditioning. I accept that I have not been a pain in the ASS of the person who I asked for assistance, but I will expect compensation for their failure to respond to my needs in a timely manor.  I made them aware of my A/C issue    5/14/18 and today 5/25/18 I am still waiting on a resolution to the problem.                                                                                                                                                                    

"but I will expect compensation for their failure to respond to my needs" - Good luck with that. 

The end of May has arrived. Still no contact with the person who initially said he had "lots" of experience in RV air conditioning. That is until he saw mine. 

The person has not reached out to me and I will not contact them before my departure from the area on Saturday. I did get lucky last night and apparently hit the buttons in the exact way needed to reset the unit and was blessed with cool air again coming from the vents. The greatest sign was seeing the production of condensation from the unit. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Vern, thanks for your comment. Unfortunately the unit was only half working. The resets are in the electrical box on the unit in the basement. I had read about them, but misread they were actually in the compressor compartment. I have since left the trailer in Concordia at Spacecraft for further evaluation.

Last evening I got a call regarding the status. It's possible there is a bad compressor. You cannot truly tell on these units as they have two separate sealed compressors with no access to the Freon gas. There are replacement compressors and then the addition of recharge and evaluation ports would also need to be installed. My thought currently is to just replace the entire unit and save this one for parts if the next one lasts less than 5 years. I will purchase the additional 3 year warranty on the new one although it's for parts only. 

My other option is to spend the big bucks to convert to a Mini Split system. The few who have had them installed over the last year are happy with the cooling and they do have the ability to provide heat at a lower temperature than my current Coleman Mach. It's a considerable cost and in a few years who knows if they will withstand the occasional movement of a cross  country trip entails.

Have looked online for alternative basement air conditioners but have not found any. I know there are other systems designed for  watercraft, but when I looked into them before the trailer build I wasn't sure how they would work. Hopefully I will have resolution to the issue completely soon.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

For future reference to a unit like this.For who ever is working on it should call the manufacturer.

For a Coleman unit it would be https://www.airxcel.com/.

They are the manufacturer and do have a top of the line tech support. 

It is frustrating when there is an answer out there but the repair person dos not know, or care.

Hope this may help,.    Vern

I suggested just that fact to the first person who came out to evaluate the unit. Of course I got the response "those engineers don't know the real life of working on these things. I've had more years actually working. " of course he didn't get the unit fixed so he won't be paid for his time.

I may add a smaller Mini Split to the bedroom area and continue to use the single working compressor or I may just go out and purchase a stand alone portable unit and move it to where I am spending the most time. I have a 4 inch duct I can tap into to exhaust the hot air. The other issue will be the condensation drain, but some are said not to require a drain and somehow evaporate the condensation in the hot air output.

Thanks again Vern.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived