Pass Port Info

bobsallyh

The card fits in your wallet so it's more convenient to carry than the book, especially for folks that drive across the border frequently. But the card doesn't cover flying, so you still need to get the book for that.

Maybe those who get the card, too, are not full-timers? When full-timing we always had our passports with us anyway.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

As I understand it....Since Washington state grants drivers licenses to persons in the country illegally a Washington state drivers license is NOT acceptalble Federal ID.

I cannot even enter the Forest Service Regional Office in Portland unless I have a legally recognized FEDERAL ID. So I always carry my passport just in case I want to visit my old friends that are still working!!

The Wasihington state EHANCED ID is similar to a NORMAL drivers license issued by most states. The Washngton state enhanced license DOES certify that you are in the country legally.

That is what I understand....could be wrong....and things change daily.

The enhanced driver's licenses require the same identifications as a passport and comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and the Real ID Act.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The card is no bigger that a credit card. It is great picture ID anywhere. We are not full timers and the passport book is always in the RV when in travel which is most of the time. The card is in our wallet all the time RV or not. It is just handy and one does not need to spend the 30 bucks if they do not want to.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Maybe those who get the card, too, are not full-timers? When full-timing we always had our passports with us anyway.

We were fulltimers when we got our passport card. Since I refuse to fly, which limits us to Canada and Mexico (and the latter, only to go over the border for dentists), we had no need to spend the additional money for the passport book...either instead of, or in addition to, the card.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the passport renewal. We sent our passports that were going to run out in December 2015 to the Philadelphia address by priority from Twin Falls, ID. on Friday September 18 in late afternoon. Both old passports could go in the same envelope but had to include two separate checks. They arrived at the Philly office Monday September 21. They cashed our checks the next day Tuesday September 22. You can go on their website and check the progress. The next "event" was Friday October 2 that the passports had been mailed priority from Little Rock, AR. They arrived Monday October 5 at the SKP mail service in Livingston. We called for the mail Tuesday October 6 and picked them up this AM (Thurs) at the Boulder City, NV. PO. They were mailed separately from the government agency. The contents were one new passport booklet and a sheet saying there could be 2 more mailings with the passport card which we also ordered and the old passport. That remains to be seen when they will arrive. Will report on that whenever they arrive. The catch-all is the new passports have a date of September 29, so really we lost two months on the deal since our old ones had a December date. In total it took 17 days not including the couple days from the mail service.

Thank you for the post. I dragged out my passport to check and lo and behold mine expired almost 5 years ago BUT it can be renewed if within 15 years of issue. I have 3 months to get it in gear.

Thanks again.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Archived