Trailer tires?

Kirk W

5 hours ago, TireHobby said:

Been watching this thread for awhile. Very hard to give answers without knowing the trailer’s actual tires specs.

Per my post back on May 18,  current tires are ST205/75R14.

5 hours ago, TireHobby said:

Some are 3500# GVWR and othersBeare 4000# GVWR.

Mine is 3800# GVWR, 2012 model. Still studying available tires but plan to make a purchase soon. I have been too busy to get it done recently. While I have been RVing for many years, only recently have we returned to travel trailers and many things have changed. Nice to hear the opinions of other RVers and tire experts. I'll continue to read any suggestions or thoughts. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TireHobby said:

Been watching this thread for awhile. Very hard to give answers without knowing the trailer’s actual tires specs. But I can answer some of the questions with hypothetical analogies.

I looked at the current specs for 19” KZ TTs.  Some are 3500# GVWR and others are 4000# GVWR. Some have 14” tires and others have 15” tires. 

Tire fitments are not at the whim of the trailer builder. They must be appropriate for each GAWR. The specific information can be found on the trailer’s federal certification label. Tire placard and in the vehicle owner’s manual. The certification label has a standard physical location on trailers. It’s onj the LH forward external section of the trailer. Normally the tire placard will also be displayed in the same location. 

The tire size (s)  listed on the certification label must be the same size as those installed on the trailer at the time of first sale. Those Original Equipment (OE) tires set the standard for all subsequent replacements. Industry standards require replacement tires to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires.

It is often very difficult the use replacement tires for ST tires in the 14” - 15” diameter range with tires from another design (P/LT). Even if some are found that will work the tire industry frowns on such applications and may void all warranty coverage for such fitments. Most trailer owner’s manuals will have a canned statement such as this;  “To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size
recommended by the manufacturer.”

Another problem with 14” & 15” tires is the wheel/rim load and psi limits. Trailers with that sized tires are often built very close to the specs to keep costs low. Therefore, a LRD tire of the same size as an OE LRC tire might exceed the OE wheel/rim assembly’s  load and/or PSI limits.

ST tires work well when properly maintained and operated within their design specifications. However, like other highway tires they need load capacity reserves to offset degrading. Unlike other DOT highway tires, load capacity reserves are not factored into the fitment equation for RV trailer tires. 

Brands? What works for the goose may not work for the gander. 

If an owner does not, at least once in awhile, find out what each tire is carrying, load wise, brands wont make a difference. One might last a little longer than another but in the end the overloaded tire is going to fail.

Best fitments? Go up a load range and air all tires to the recommended sidewall pressures. 

The rims on our StarCraft are aluminum and I was not able to locate any stamped information on maximum psi rating (looked on both sides).  I did see that Power King offers my size tires in both 'D' and 'E' rating.  It appears a couple of the other most common ST brands also offer these higher ratings.  For the added capacity and, hopefully some improved road survival, I plan to buy the highest capacity available.

It's odd that the DOT does not require load capacity reserve be built into RV tires.  It's more likely that loads would be exceeded on RV's than cars IMHO.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

I'm wondering which tire you chose as I too need the same size. I found Goodyear and Maxxis close by, but not Carlisle. I lean toward Maxxis on it's reputation with the ST line, but Goodyear wants our business so what do they have in that Endurance model.

I published the info and Load/Inflation tables on the new GYE line on my blog back in May. They seem to want the RV trailer tire business.  MAXXIS also seems to have a good rep so I would think either is OK.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:57 AM, freestoneangler said:

The rims on our StarCraft are aluminum and I was not able to locate any stamped information on maximum psi rating (looked on both sides).  I did see that Power King offers my size tires in both 'D' and 'E' rating.  It appears a couple of the other most common ST brands also offer these higher ratings.  For the added capacity and, hopefully some improved road survival, I plan to buy the highest capacity available.

It's odd that the DOT does not require load capacity reserve be built into RV tires.  It's more likely that loads would be exceeded on RV's than cars IMHO.

DOT expects RV owners to not exceed the clearly stated load maximums or to run lower than the stated inflation level. Don't know how we can expect some extra margin above the stated max without people then loading to the max + the margin.  Its like the stated max speed for ST tires was/is 65 mph but a majority of trailer owners simply want to ignore that limit then are surprised when tires fail.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

• 4 years later...

From what I've read, the reason ST tires are rated differently is human life is not riding on them like P and LT tires.

Since 2015 ST tires have undergone a change, now they have the speed rating marked on the tire.

reference: https://www.etrailer.com/question-152234.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 11:51 PM, TreyandSusan said:

Size is important and more importantly load carrying capacity. 

If the size and loads allow then...

Maxxis, is a proven good brand for ST(Special Trailer) tires. 

There is only 1 Special Trailer tire that is manufactured in America - The Goodyear Endurance Model. (Tire Sizes/Specifications for Endurance) It is brand new and just recently released. It is speed rated at 87 mph. 

I am so smart. I bought 4 Maxis in 2019 and none have ever been found flat on the bottom. Please excuse, yes, Maxis are dependable tires. I, as I am sure others did, a bit of research before buying.