Summer Adventure for 13 year old

CamperDad

Hello. My son and I live in Florida. We have RV'd to Carlsbad Caverns, Zion NP, Grand Canyon, Mammoth Cave, Arches NP, Moab, Yellowstone,  Bryce NP, Indy 500, Nova Scotia, etc.. This summer we are limited in travel day hours due to a new family puppy that will be traveling with us, but we still want to get out and adventure. Our distance will most likely be limited to the south-east states this summer  I am thinking maybe wakeboard and fly fishing lessons in Arkansas or Missouri, along with a couple of day hikes that we can tackle together. What other adventures can you suggest to keep a 13 year old occupied and off the video consoles? I really want to hear your experiences.

The first trip I took with my new to me HDT included my Brother his wife and son driving it from Iowa to Florida to hook up to my trailer. They drove my Ford F350 back and we stopped at Disney (Epcot actually) and then hit Chattanooga, TN visited the Aquarium, Rock City and the underground adventure. (can't remember the name right now.)

Their Son was in his early to mid Teens and my youngest daughter was almost a teen. They both had fun. Their son wanted to do the Zip Line but we didn't make it. Lambert's in Sikeston, Mo. was also a big hit with the "Throwed Rolls". The food used to be better, but that's the case everywhere it seems now. 

Have a wonderful time. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

There are several Lambert's in MO. They don't take credit cards but do accept checks. Not cheap, but not too expensive, either. Good place to take a teenager. Branson is fun, but a bit expensive. You can stay at the Escapees Park in Hollister (Turkey Creek) and drive to the shows and activities in Branson easily. Lambert's is on the way to Springfield, home of Bass Pro. There are some COE parks, and Missouri State Parks don't charge extra for people from other States. $2 discount for senior citizen (65 and older), military, or disabled. Unfortunately, only one discount, even if you qualify for more.

If you will be in the St. Louis area, Dr. Edmund A. Babler Memorial State Park is getting a big renovation now, and should be ready for everyone sometime in the summer. Sites 1-38 or so are going to be 50A FHU sites, and the angle will be adjusted on many of the pads to make it easier to back in. Sorry, still no pull-thrus. We've hosted there a couple of times.

A few miles west of St. Louis is Graham Cave SP. We'll be hosting there in September and October, so probably will miss you. This is a small park, literally right next to the Interstate. Sites are small for modern rigs, but very quiet. Lots of hiking, but not much else. No loud parties.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

8 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

There are 2 Lamberts in mo.  Sikeston and Ozark. 

And in my opinion are much better than the one in Foley, AL. 

I've mostly visited Sikeston, have stopped in Ozark a few times and only once in Foley. It was not worth the hour I travelled to it, so I didn't go again when I was that close. They could have just had a bad day, I don't remember it being any sort of a "Holiday" or anything. I still suffer grief from my youngest who always looked forward to a stop at Lambert's for refusing to wait for a table on "Mother's Day" in Sikeston. It was just she and I and the wait was said to be over an hour. I'd driven to Florida to pick her up the prior Friday and we still had several hundred miles to get back home and to work on Monday. TMI

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

There are several Lambert's in MO.

Lambert's Cafe is a US restaurant chain with locations in Foley, Alabama; Sikeston, Missouri; and Ozark, Missouri. It is known for throwing hot rolls to the customers.

Edited by Kirk W
add link

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Been to sikeston 2 times in November last year and both were good as far as restaurant food. We will stop there again Friday. We stay in the back lot overnight. It is ok to do that. They also have a campground that they built right next to the restaurant. All full hook ups. I think it’s 40 a night. It is a quiet stay. We’ll see how a Friday night goes. 

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Lambert's Cafe is a US restaurant chain with locations in Foley, Alabama; Sikeston, Missouri; and Ozark, Missouri. It is known for throwing hot rolls to the customers.

Those rolls are about softball sized so they are easy to catch--but hot!

Their meals are not cheap but the pass-arounds are free and you are allowed a take-home bag. I always took home at least enough food for a second meal even without accepting all the pass-arounds. Their chicken-fried steak is huge!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Dinners are a little high but you get a lot of food and all the pass arounds. The specials are around 13 and comes with the pass arounds. You can get the pass arounds only for about 7. We did that the last time got one special one pass around and had enough for 3 meals between the two of us, plus a free night stay.