Distance From King Pin to Jeep on HDT Deck?

Cotreker

How do I figure the safe distance from the King Pin of the RV to clear a Jeep on the deck of the HDT.  The Jeep (2 Door) is 13' 10" not purchased interested in other vehicle recommendations that would work not longer than a Jeep.

Hope to see some of you at the National Rally with this completed, including ramps.

Dennis 

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

The general rule is half the width of the trailer plus a couple of inches for turning on uneven terrain.  Maximum trailer width is 102 so 51 plus a couple of inches.

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

My trailer width is 96" so I need to allow about 50" from King Pin to bumper of Jeep or what ever 4X4 goes there.  My storage space just shrunk down to 40" but it is really tall.  Thanks Nigel now for the ramp designs strong enough to load a Jeep.  Storage could work next to the Jeep flat on the deck on on the skirt sides.  So the slide-in camper will be sold and a Jeep will travel in front of the 5er plate by 50".

EEHF4Uyl.jpg

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

To make allowance for driveway dips/rises, on your 96" trailer, I'd use 55". 102" trailer, use 60" clearance.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Lots of things factor into the plan. Where is your pin, is it in front of the main body of the trailer or under it? Does your trailer have a flat front or is it sort of slanted away from the center? What type of hitch are you using? 

I've done at least three different positions with my trailer. The first one was too close and the top of my box caught the top corner of the trailer on it's first big trip going over some very low bumps and turning at the same time. The latest (last Summer) was tested at the HDT Rally when I had the updated truck and trailer weighed, Trey and Susan were my observers as I turned with my slider hitch in the forward most position. I will have to measure later to see where it lies currently. I don't have an air ride hitch any longer so that needs to be taken into consideration. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.