I95 or SR95 with HDT north out of Quartzsite?

Deezl Smoke

I'm hoping to get out of here (Hillsboro Oregon) maybe later this week, and find some sunshine for a day. Looking at the forecasts, the I5 Siskiyou pass looks clear, and the return passes going north on 95 look ok enough at this point.

So If I were to get to Quartzsite, I see SR95 from Quartzsite up to I40 looks like a more scenic drive. But I'm asking if anyone knows the condition of the road and/or if it is worth it, or just stay on the interstates?

My travel style is different than most. At this point in my traveling career I am more interested in the macro view from my driver's seat, than the time exploring the micros of an area on a motorcycle, e-bike or quad etc. That may come later.

Thanks for any tips or warnings. This would be my first time so far south.

I'm a work'n on it.

95 is a gorgeous road.  Love traveling its route and rarely do you need to be concerned about weather.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Walker Lake in NV has some interesting history.  Lots of folks don't appreciate desert views.  I can't get enough of them.

image.png.5b4c1f817cdc8b1fb21097135349cb9d.png

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

41 minutes ago, spindrift said:

Walker Lake in NV has some interesting history.  Lots of folks don't appreciate desert views.  I can't get enough of them.

image.png.5b4c1f817cdc8b1fb21097135349cb9d.png

100% That's why I have a sunny desert on my driver's side and a moon lit desert on the passenger's side of my rig.

I'm a work'n on it.

47 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I'm corn-fused. Is there another I-95 besides the one that runs up the east coast?

The "95" I'm using starts up about Kingsgate Idaho, actually further north, but for USA, Kingsgate Idaho, then south through Quartzsite. So maybe my lack of knowledge on the highway system is showing here. Could it be US 95 that still goes interstate?

I'm a work'n on it.

1 hour ago, Deezl Smoke said:

On I95 or the old 95 which I think they call SR95 now?

Pretty sure it's SR 95, north out of Blythe, California to Needles, California.  We came down south from Lake Havasu thru Parker on the other version of 95.  Both routes are nice.  Going thru Havasu takes longer, as you run into many traffic lights and the Havasu traffic.  The road from Blythe to Needles was pretty quiet and an easy drive.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Deezl,

I live over the hill from you in Madras.  My preferred route south is US 20 east to Burns then OR 78 to US95 to Winnemucca followed by I80 SW to US95 again.  Then all the way on 95.  Very mild pulls after your over the Cascades.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Okay, now I get it.  There's I-95 in the east, US-95 in the west, and SR-95 in CA or AZ or elsewhere.

But wait, there's more!!  We live in Indiana, where North Bend is in the south, South Bend is in the north, and French Lick ain't what you think.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Okay, now I get it.  There's I-95 in the east, US-95 in the west, and SR-95 in CA or AZ or elsewhere.

But wait, there's more!!  We live in Indiana, where North Bend is in the south, South Bend is in the north, and French Lick ain't what you think.

LOLOLMAO!!🤣

I'm a work'n on it.

6 hours ago, lenp said:

Deezl,

I live over the hill from you in Madras.  My preferred route south is US 20 east to Burns then OR 78 to US95 to Winnemucca followed by I80 SW to US95 again.  Then all the way on 95.  Very mild pulls after your over the Cascades.

Lenp

I have a small 20 acres in Christmas valley on 5-14 just east about 6.5 miles from town. I have a small gravel rv pad on it. I love driving 78. Went through Rome and viewed the pillars etc driving up 95. I personally like 395 south from the Wagontire intersection, and 140 east. But I've only been to Denio junction. I'll have a look at 80 and see if any passes are clear.

I'm a work'n on it.